Bristol Rovers reviews

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Bristol Rovers reviews

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:42 am

Only 5 of the shots mostly from distance were on target one hitting the post and I really could not recall an instance when their keeper had to make a real save if anything they despite lack of possession look more likely to score
If you watch the highlights you can see their goalkeeper made at least two good saves, but you do like to have a moan
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:24 pm
Milton End wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:02 am Couple of observations from someone who was there but didn't know all the players names or fully understand the tactics..

First, I found it difficult to understand a defence where the left back played the ball to the goal keeper who then played it to the right back who then played it to the goal keeper who then passed it to the left back again, etc. To me, this suggested either a lack of confidence or lack of clear instructions from the manager. Surely something to be sorted here?

Second, the second half was a complete contrast to the first. The arrival of Saydee and then Kamara and Yengi certainly made a difference. Our midfield seemed to be very passive so fully support the comments above about recruiting an attacking midfielder.

Incidentally, I thought that our new permanent keeper, Norris, did a reasonable job. One slightly scary moment when he went upfield and left his goal unmarked but basically solid.

Overall, I felt that this was a fair result. Rovers are a good side - organised, fast on the break and with some skilled players.

Mousinho made the right team changes at the break. But he and the team still have much work to do if we are to make the playoffs.
ME, it's the Mousino way - play out from the back....
But surely the goal is at the other end of the pitch?

Sideways in front of the Pompey goal does not make much sense to me ...but then I know nothing... :?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:54 am
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:28 pm For us it seems it is a case of much the same as last season and there doesn't seem any improvement, but it is early days yet, unless we get the players to make a difference. Either that or a change in playing policy where we use an attack with more than a lone striker.
I've never seen the point of a lone striker - usually it's too much of a burden for the player. It might work occassionally but for a promotion push you need consistency. Maybe Saydee is the answer but I think we needed to get another Piggott in the team aswell with experience.

Getting a creative attacking midfielder might have been a priority but they couldn't get anyone to come even if we had offered a decent fee. No doubt it's an area that needs sorting pronto though.

Yes, you are probably right and that a creative midfield player is as costly as a proven goalscorer, and a good player in this positionwould probablyhave good options. I have never liked one up front and yesterday's game showed that a side lacking the skills in the midfield area can be nullified by increasing striker numbers.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:56 am I have just seen the Skysports highlights from yesterday. Most of the play was from Pompey peppering Rovers goal, the `stats` show 57% possession 21 shots on goal, 11 corners. Does that not suggest that we were the better side. One of those shots extra goes in and suddenly the whole complexion changes!

I agree that statistics can go some way in telling the story of a game but sometimes that story can have distorted lines. For instance Pompey had 57% possession, overall, but the first half possession stats had Rovers ahead. In the second half we had to take the game to them as we were 1-0 down so we were far more offensive. A lot of our possession was endless passing at the back, some of it was neat and tidy and even easy on the eye. The end product was usually an over hit pass or lost in a tackle. We had 21 attempts at goal with 5 on target. I think their keeper did make a couple of saves and Bishop missed the best chance of the game and going close with another effort. Rovers with less possession and shots on goal managed more on target than we did, 6 in fact. I thought they looked dangerous every time they broke forward as they always had two strikers lurking ready for the forward pass. Rovers were the away side and winning 1-0 so it was up to our boys to push forward. So, although I agree we deserved to draw, I don't think we were the better team in this game despite the statistics.

Reading the Rovers forum they are gutted that they conceded so late as most would have taken a draw before the game. Most thought it was a fair result on the balance of play and take heart in nearly beating Pompey at Fratton Park. They are pleased with their summer transfer activity a think they have improved on last seasons squad. Getting a draw at Pompey proves to them they are going to have a good season because they believe Pompey are one of the top sides in this league.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:56 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:56 am I have just seen the Skysports highlights from yesterday. Most of the play was from Pompey peppering Rovers goal, the `stats` show 57% possession 21 shots on goal, 11 corners. Does that not suggest that we were the better side. One of those shots extra goes in and suddenly the whole complexion changes!

I agree that statistics can go some way in telling the story of a game but sometimes that story can have distorted lines. For instance Pompey had 57% possession, overall, but the first half possession stats had Rovers ahead. In the second half we had to take the game to them as we were 1-0 down so we were far more offensive. A lot of our possession was endless passing at the back, some of it was neat and tidy and even easy on the eye. The end product was usually an over hit pass or lost in a tackle. We had 21 attempts at goal with 5 on target. I think their keeper did make a couple of saves and Bishop missed the best chance of the game and going close with another effort. Rovers with less possession and shots on goal managed more on target than we did, 6 in fact. I thought they looked dangerous every time they broke forward as they always had two strikers lurking ready for the forward pass. Rovers were the away side and winning 1-0 so it was up to our boys to push forward. So, although I agree we deserved to draw, I don't think we were the better team in this game despite the statistics.

Reading the Rovers forum they are gutted that they conceded so late as most would have taken a draw before the game. Most thought it was a fair result on the balance of play and take heart in nearly beating Pompey at Fratton Park. They are pleased with their summer transfer activity a think they have improved on last seasons squad. Getting a draw at Pompey proves to them they are going to have a good season because they believe Pompey are one of the top sides in this league.
Interesting analysis
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

21 shot, 11 corners .....
......absolutely no creativity at all

only 5 on target though, sell bishop, he is pants, get rid ')
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:57 pm 21 shot, 11 corners .....

The usual exaggerated response then.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:21 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:57 pm 21 shot, 11 corners .....

The usual exaggerated response then.
nope just a tongue firmly in cheek one Walter