Bristol Rovers reviews

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Bristol Rovers reviews

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:39 pm From reading this thread it sounds like the uninspiring new signings were perhaps the better players on the day?
Correct...but only some of them!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:39 pm From reading this thread it sounds like the uninspiring new signings were perhaps the better players on the day?
Yes the 'uninspiring' Yengi scored the equaliser and I thought Poole looked good too. The area that needed the inspiring signings was the same as last season, and so many seasons before, where only Morrell done himself justice. Pack was slow and got caught on the ball far too often and misplaced passes and, unfortunately, Lowery is not back to his pre injury best and was snuffed out by the Rovers defence.I thought the wingers were no improvement on last season, uninspiring in fact, but it is only early days.

So if you are looking to make a point about these 'inspirational' signings I would think that time will tell as today we played second fiddle for long periods, although I did think we just about deserved the point in the end.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

My veiw of the game today was much like last season really where we hardly created a clear cut chance. We did improve when the subs came on because they were mainly forwards. When a team is incapable of opening up defences with cute football and playing with a single striker the answer is to bring on more forwards. More stikers on the pitch means punted forward passes generally have more menace when there are more players looking to get on the end of them. Saydee looked what he is which is raw talent looking to put himself about and upset defenders and he certainly beefed up our labouring predictable attack. Likewise with Yengi and he scored a goal that players of his height can do. Both looked raw but promising.

One positive for me was Mousinho's direct response to our faltering attack was to stick all three stickers on together and the pressure told in the end. I just wish he would start games with more than one up front.

I thought that Rovers looked a decent side and will do well this season. For us it seems it is a case of much the same as last season and there doesn't seem any improvement, but it is early days yet, unless we get the players to make a difference. Either that or a change in playing policy where we use an attack with more than a lone striker.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:09 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:34 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:20 pm Two rather juxtaposed posts there.
I couldn’t say much about preseason as I only saw the game last week at the end of the day and that was pretty dire, preseason means sod all its the league which matters and nothing today suggested to me we have improved on last season
We need creativity in midfield and that’s been lacking for a long time but that will cost money which I doubt will be forthcoming
I have to question 55's negativity here.
Okay, it wasn't scintillating, pin point accurate football but we are Div 3 FFS!!
However, attitude, skill, determination were all there in abundance..and this was the first REAL game with REAL opponents of the season, so why not give the team a chance and a bit of kudos??
Yes, admittedly some of our team didn't perform perhaps as good as we would have hoped BUT..Mous did what was necessary and changed both players and formation resulting in better performance and a draw.
Let's see what transpires from this outing before employing detrimental comments and get behind the team :?
I felt I wasn't over critical just that yesterday was in many ways a carbon copy of many of our games last season at home concede an early goal then huff and puff to try and breakdown the opponents. Yes the substitutes improved things but it was very much hit.and hope up to the front players . It was obvious to many from last season we needed a player in midfield who can break the defensive line and create opportunities for the forwards and in my view that should of been the recruitment teams priority even if it did cost a decent fee but no we are messing around looking at loan players with potential to fill that role.
And I did acknowledge the subs improved things but that was often the case last season with pretty much similar results.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:28 pm My veiw of the game today was much like last season really where we hardly created a clear cut chance. We did improve when the subs came on because they were mainly forwards. When a team is incapable of opening up defences with cute football and playing with a single striker the answer is to bring on more forwards. More stikers on the pitch means punted forward passes generally have more menace when there are more players looking to get on the end of them. Saydee looked what he is which is raw talent looking to put himself about and upset defenders and he certainly beefed up our labouring predictable attack. Likewise with Yengi and he scored a goal that players of his height can do. Both looked raw but promising.

One positive for me was Mousinho's direct response to our faltering attack was to stick all three stickers on together and the pressure told in the end. I just wish he would start games with more than one up front.

I thought that Rovers looked a decent side and will do well this season. For us it seems it is a case of much the same as last season and there doesn't seem any improvement, but it is early days yet, unless we get the players to make a difference. Either that or a change in playing policy where we use an attack with more than a lone striker.
I agree Rovers looked a decent side who have certainly improved over last season with some astute signings,considering we did the double over them convincingly last season that may show they have progressed and we have not
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:28 pm For us it seems it is a case of much the same as last season and there doesn't seem any improvement, but it is early days yet, unless we get the players to make a difference. Either that or a change in playing policy where we use an attack with more than a lone striker.
I've never seen the point of a lone striker - usually it's too much of a burden for the player. It might work occassionally but for a promotion push you need consistency. Maybe Saydee is the answer but I think we needed to get another Piggott in the team aswell with experience.

Getting a creative attacking midfielder might have been a priority but they couldn't get anyone to come even if we had offered a decent fee. No doubt it's an area that needs sorting pronto though.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:54 am
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:28 pm For us it seems it is a case of much the same as last season and there doesn't seem any improvement, but it is early days yet, unless we get the players to make a difference. Either that or a change in playing policy where we use an attack with more than a lone striker.
I've never seen the point of a lone striker - usually it's too much of a burden for the player. It might work occassionally but for a promotion push you need consistency. Maybe Saydee is the answer but I think we needed to get another Piggott in the team aswell with experience.

Getting a creative attacking midfielder might have been a priority but they couldn't get anyone to come even if we had offered a decent fee. No doubt it's an area that needs sorting pronto though.
Moushino in the snooze is saying Tino Anjorin is possible but if nothing happens we wi!l move on to plan B but it will certainly be a loan on another thread the suggestion was maybe Jensen Weir.from Bighton who had a really good season last year at Morecambe 10 goals 5 assists actually if true seems to me a much better option anyway
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:10 am

Moushino in the snooze is saying Tino Anjorin is possible but if nothing happens we wi!l move on to plan B but it will certainly be a loan on another thread the suggestion was maybe Jensen Weir.from Bighton who had a really good season last year at Morecambe 10 goals 5 assists actually if true seems to me a much better option anyway
If we're going for a 20/21-year old, a player like Anjorin with Premier League, Champions League and Championship experience seems the better option. That said, I would prefer an older head in that position.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:17 am
Pompey55 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:10 am

If we're going for a 20/21-year old, a player like Anjorin with Premier League, Champions League and Championship experience seems the better option. That said, I would prefer an older head in that position.
Weir. Is a similar age and also from a Premier League team but has a full season of league one experience behind him so I would think a good option, as it's being said that it's almost certainly a loan I can't see us getting anyone older as they have probably already been snapped up by other teams on loan if available
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I have just seen the Skysports highlights from yesterday. Most of the play was from Pompey peppering Rovers goal, the `stats` show 57% possession 21 shots on goal, 11 corners. Does that not suggest that we were the better side. One of those shots extra goes in and suddenly the whole complexion changes!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:56 am I have just seen the Skysports highlights from yesterday. Most of the play was from Pompey peppering Rovers goal, the `stats` show 57% possession 21 shots on goal, 11 corners. Does that not suggest that we were the better side. One of those shots extra goes in and suddenly the whole complexion changes!
Think we shouldn’t have a knee jerk reaction to this match having said that we obviously need the creative attacking midfielder who ever that might be. However if we have other loan places available do we need to think about beefing up our existing midfield options?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:56 am I have just seen the Skysports highlights from yesterday. Most of the play was from Pompey peppering Rovers goal, the `stats` show 57% possession 21 shots on goal, 11 corners. Does that not suggest that we were the better side. One of those shots extra goes in and suddenly the whole complexion changes!
Only 5 of the shots mostly from distance were on target one hitting the post and I really could not recall an instance when their keeper had to make a real save if anything they despite lack of possession look more likely to score
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Couple of observations from someone who was there but didn't know all the players names or fully understand the tactics..

First, I found it difficult to understand a defence where the left back played the ball to the goal keeper who then played it to the right back who then played it to the goal keeper who then passed it to the left back again, etc. To me, this suggested either a lack of confidence or lack of clear instructions from the manager. Surely something to be sorted here?

Second, the second half was a complete contrast to the first. The arrival of Saydee and then Kamara and Yengi certainly made a difference. Our midfield seemed to be very passive so fully support the comments above about recruiting an attacking midfielder.

Incidentally, I thought that our new permanent keeper, Norris, did a reasonable job. One slightly scary moment when he went upfield and left his goal unmarked but basically solid.

Overall, I felt that this was a fair result. Rovers are a good side - organised, fast on the break and with some skilled players.

Mousinho made the right team changes at the break. But he and the team still have much work to do if we are to make the playoffs.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

Milton End wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:02 am Couple of observations from someone who was there but didn't know all the players names or fully understand the tactics..

First, I found it difficult to understand a defence where the left back played the ball to the goal keeper who then played it to the right back who then played it to the goal keeper who then passed it to the left back again, etc. To me, this suggested either a lack of confidence or lack of clear instructions from the manager. Surely something to be sorted here?

Second, the second half was a complete contrast to the first. The arrival of Saydee and then Kamara and Yengi certainly made a difference. Our midfield seemed to be very passive so fully support the comments above about recruiting an attacking midfielder.

Incidentally, I thought that our new permanent keeper, Norris, did a reasonable job. One slightly scary moment when he went upfield and left his goal unmarked but basically solid.

Overall, I felt that this was a fair result. Rovers are a good side - organised, fast on the break and with some skilled players.

Mousinho made the right team changes at the break. But he and the team still have much work to do if we are to make the playoffs.
ME, it's the Mousino way - play out from the back. That's the way they have been coached to build an attack. When we were chasing the game, it became more a matter of playing it more directly. Certainly some food for thought here - for us and hopefully Mous. I know which method most fans would prefer.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:24 pm
Milton End wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:02 am Couple of observations from someone who was there but didn't know all the players names or fully understand the tactics..

ME, it's the Mousino way - play out from the back. That's the way they have been coached to build an attack. When we were chasing the game, it became more a matter of playing it more directly. Certainly some food for thought here - for us and hopefully Mous. I know which method most fans would prefer.
Tuesday would be a good time for Moushino to try any different approaches / formations he may want to consider as really not a great problem to not get a result there rather than next Saturday