Pompey Sign Alex Robertson on loan from Man City

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Pompey Sign Alex Robertson on loan from Man City

Post by Jack_Tinn »

20 year old attacking midfielder from Man City on loan for the season

He made his international debut for Australia last year

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/202 ... n-on-loan/

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Pompey Sign Alex Robertson on loan from Man City

Post by Jack_Tinn »

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

https://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/spo ... an-262660/

Hope it’s not another disaster loan like this one ? Shame it wasn’t Jenson Weir but hey ho he’s Australian and we will give the lad a chance
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Hope it works out but I do wonder if Citeh as yet know his best position as last season he played half his games at defensive midfield and half at central midfield for their U21 team
Maybe being here will benefit both clubs if we intend to play him in the attacking midfield position and it comes off
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

From what I can gather, he made their bench a few times last season but didn't actually make it onto the pitch at first team level.

The lad himself says he considers himself to be primarily an attacking midfielder in his quotes after signing - says he loves to attack, create and score goals, and loves to work hard. If he does all of those things I think we'll all be happy!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

PeteM wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:46 pm From what I can gather, he made their bench a few times last season but didn't actually make it onto the pitch at first team level.

The lad himself says he considers himself to be primarily an attacking midfielder in his quotes after signing - says he loves to attack, create and score goals, and loves to work hard. If he does all of those things I think we'll all be happy!
No one will judge him until we see him perform but surely if we have publicly said we’ve signed him as an attacking midfield player he’s hardly going to say he’s not is he?
If he turns those words into positive actions then we will all be happy
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Just to clarify why we made this our final signing a couple of quotes from Moushino

“Last term he scored 5 goals and 2 assists in 19 appearances for Citeh U21”

“We see him as more than an an attacking no 8
who has huge potential to score and provide assists”

“We have others who can play at 10 then listed pretty much everyone but Bishop as that player”

“We had to move on from Anjorin and we had other irons in the fire with Alex and we didn’t want to miss out”

I’m not commenting on any of those quotes just stating the reasons given by the club

I have resisted the opportunity to comment on these quotes as I don’t really want to be negative as I really hope this loan solves our lack of quality and creativity in our midfield
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:48 pm Just to clarify why we made this our final signing a couple of quotes from Moushino

“We have others who can play at 10 then listed pretty much everyone but Bishop as that player”

“We had to move on from Anjorin and we had other irons in the fire with Alex and we didn’t want to miss out”

I’m not commenting on any of those quotes just stating the reasons given by the club

I have resisted the opportunity to comment on these quotes as I don’t really want to be negative as I really hope this loan solves our lack of quality and creativity in our midfield
You must be itching to be negative - who would YOU have signed?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:52 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:48 pm Just to clarify why we made this our final signing a couple of quotes from Moushino

I hear Modric is still playing.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I want to come to the defence of my fellow Pompey fan: Pompey55. It isn't his job to identify and sign players for Pompey and he is entitled to express any scepticism he wishes about signings.

Personally, I liked what Jenson Weir could have brought since he had 40 odd games in L1 for Morecombe last year and had 10 goals and 5 assists - he would have at least had a season of delivering results in a (struggling) L1 team to make it easier to project how he may have performed for Pompey. I liked the idea of Weir at least as much as the idea of Tino Arjoran from Chelsea

Lets see how Robertson gets on. I think we can all agree that you are unlikely to be a player completely devoid of talent if Pep is picking you in his match day squad last season. Likewise he has two full caps for Australia and you don't get those without some talent too. He's 20yo, so young but now he's the right age to be breaking into regular first team football.

He doesn't have to carry the team just add some attacking quality to the midfield to be a success at Pompey in my view.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:51 pm

I want to come to the defence of my fellow Pompey fan: Pompey55. It isn't his job to identify and sign players for Pompey and he is entitled to express any scepticism he wishes about signings.

Personally, I liked what Jenson Weir could have brought since he had 40 odd games in L1 for Morecombe last year and had 10 goals and 5 assists - he would have at least had a season of delivering results in a (struggling) L1 team to make it easier to project how he may have performed for Pompey. I liked the idea of Weir at least as much as the idea of Tino Arjoran from Chelsea

Lets see how Robertson gets on. I think we can all agree that you are unlikely to be a player completely devoid of talent if Pep is picking you in his match day squad last season. Likewise he has two full caps for Australia and you don't get those without some talent too. He's 20yo, so young but now he's the right age to be breaking into regular first team football.

He doesn't have to carry the team just add some attacking quality to the midfield to be a success at Pompey in my view.
I'm aware it's not his job, I just think if your dissapointed in the signing then you probably have a name or two if someone you would have preferred.

I've no idea if the kid is any good but he's not going to be a mug given where he has been playing. It's good that Man City have entrusted us with another of their kids too as they have an abundance of talent available for loan whatever level you are at.
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

There can be little doubt that as regards loan players, Pompey are fishing in the right pool at Man City. He certainly will have the talent to succeed at this level and it is more about his maturity, physically and emotionally, in handling the pressure of a 46 league game season in a physical, professional league.

He seems grounded enough in his interview, his dad is an ex pro and the Aussie/Scots heritage won't do him any harm either.

We'll find out soon enough, but he adds height, youth, creativity and energy to our midfield options. All needed, because I have absolutely no belief that this Pack, Morrell and Lowery combo will work for more than 25 minutes every 2 or 3 games, at best.

Stevenson needs to be given games and soon. Only one of Morrell or Lowery on the pitch at the same time. Robertson, Kamara and Devlin also need a few games to see what they can deliver.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:48 pm Just to clarify why we made this our final signing a couple of quotes from Moushino hi

Of the players mentioned as being available on loan during this window I would have taken a punt on Kamara from Ipswich an established player at this level in this position or as Jack said the Brighton lad who has experience at this level
I know Kamara had injuries last season but I think there are certain positions at this level
that need more than raw talent
I would have had reservations about any of the young prospects but still hope they would have succeeded
I acknowledge premiership teams have a great pool of talent to tap into but if as a whole those U21 teams were packed with players capable physically to cope at our level why do so many have little or no success in the pizza cup
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

And just for the record I’ve not said he is useless and only a squad player just expressed my concerns that if he doesn’t produce then we will have the same midfield issues we had last season based upon our experience over the last couple of seasons with young loan players with a good pedigree who failed to perform at this level at our cost
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Just to comment now on these 2 Moushino quotes the list of possible players given who he thinks can play at 10 was all our attacking players if he thought this why did he not start with one of them on Saturday only changing it a half time when Lowery was injured

I’m concerned that the language regarding Anjorin suggests that this signing may have been rushed as waiting on Anjorin had seen other potential signings be missed and Robertson may have also been in his way elsewhere if we had not moved