Eisener On Network Rail

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Eisener On Network Rail

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Eisener On Network Rail

Post by Betelgeuse »

He's absolutely right. Network Rail are f***king hopeless. They need severe pressure put on them.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:26 pm He's absolutely right. Network Rail are f***king hopeless. They need severe pressure put on them.
Completely agree.

Sadly, the club is negotiating with a clapped out rail network - suffering from years of under-investment and poor leadership and industrial relations.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

I knew NR would be the problem and agree they need big pressure put on them. I wonder what their reasons are for not participating.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Surely Eisner should ask Penny Mordaunt to help in this case as its in the interest of the people of Porstmouth and he is getting nowhere just an idea?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Network Rail are a law unto themselves. A former CEO was John Armitt a Pompey Lad from Cosham, perhaps he could help?
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:26 am Surely Eisner should ask Penny Mordaunt to help in this case as its in the interest of the people of Porstmouth and he is getting nowhere just an idea?
Stephen Morgan the other Portsmouth MP has been actively involved for a long while whereas Princess Penelope doesn’t appear to have been
obviously not enough national press for her
Maybe she’s to busy sorting out her CV for when she gets the boot next election
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Princess Penelope doesn’t appear to have been
obviously not enough national press for her
Maybe she’s to busy sorting out her CV for when she gets the boot next election (Quote 55)

All the more reason for her to get involved to collect more votes to keep her seat
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I am not aware of the importance of this bridge and, to be quite honest, I don't know if I have been down that way or even where it is. So I am totally green in asking the question of is this work the club wants Network Rail to participate in of benefit to Network Rail? I am not trying to provoke any argument or controversy as I am just playing Devils Advocate.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:27 am I am not aware of the importance of this bridge and, to be quite honest, I don't know if I have been down that way or even where it is. So I am totally green in asking the question of is this work the club wants Network Rail to participate in of benefit to Network Rail? I am not trying to provoke any argument or controversy as I am just playing Devils Advocate.
Walter...if you read this it will explain

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... on-4249682
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Thank you, I have read the whole article now and, as you suggested, and it explains the whole issue. Up to now I have only had a peripheral interest in the matter as I don't know much about that area and I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:40 pm Thank you, I have read the whole article now and, as you suggested, and it explains the whole issue. Up to now I have only had a peripheral interest in the matter as I don't know much about that area and I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion.
The topic of the bridge has been floating around for a couple of years - it's only now that Eisner has publicly turned the screw - good move from him in my opinion.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:46 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:40 pm Thank you, I have read the whole article now and, as you suggested, and it explains the whole issue. Up to now I have only had a peripheral interest in the matter as I don't know much about that area and I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion.
The topic of the bridge has been floating around for a couple of years - it's only now that Eisner has publicly turned the screw - good move from him in my opinion.
Yes I know it has been bubbling for some time now but, like I said, I don't really know of the specifics involved so I had no opinion. I just wondered if there was no tangible benefit to Network Rail was the reason behind their reticence. It would appear, according to the article and Mr Eisner's veiw of the situation that there is benefit to all concerned.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

the bottom line when you strip out the posturing is that NR will be a willing partner in the project if someone else is funding the cost of the bridge and the associated works that NR would need to do to accommodate the changes at Fratton Station.

The city Council, club and associated investors in the regen project will have to find the money between them because NR won't pay to make changes (with public funds) which they don't see will directly benefit the network.

Eisner may be doing the right thing as Chairman of the club by blowing his gasket at NR and its Chairman to get publicity for the issue and to see if he can unlock the issue but I wonder if he understands the role of NR himself when he says that he doesn't understand why NR won't put £15k towards the feasibility study cost since it is clear that a new bridge would bring more people onto the trains. NR''s funding is not directly linked to, nor are they directly motivated by an increase the number of people using trains.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:19 pm the bottom line when you strip out the posturing is that NR will be a willing partner in the project if someone else is funding the cost of the bridge and the associated works that NR would need to do to accommodate the changes at Fratton Station.

The city Council, club and associated investors in the regen project will have to find the money between them because NR won't pay to make changes (with public funds) which they don't see will directly benefit the network.

Eisner may be doing the right thing as Chairman of the club by blowing his gasket at NR and its Chairman to get publicity for the issue and to see if he can unlock the issue but I wonder if he understands the role of NR himself when he says that he doesn't understand why NR won't put £15k towards the feasibility study cost since it is clear that a new bridge would bring more people onto the trains. NR''s funding is not directly linked to, nor are they directly motivated by an increase the number of people using trains.
Network Rail we're closing a level crossing near where I live - they would only fund the construction of their 'standard' bridge - given that this standard bridge wasn't able to support the footfall on march days, not be fitting for a gateway to the town centre the council has had to find millions (from it's partners, developers, city region etc) Network Rail contribution as far as I recall was the smallest of the lot.