Positives from Leyton Orient Game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Positives from Leyton Orient Game

Post by Jack_Tinn »

~ First League Win;
~ Away Win - (against the winners of League Two last year in their first home game of League One);
~ 1st Clean Sheet of the Season;
~ Four Goals Scored;
~ Two away wins (100%) in the opening week of the season - seven goals scored and only one conceded.
~ Whyte showing signs of improved form - had an assist in this game;
~ Rafferty had two assists - three now in two league games;
~ Bishop gets his first goal of the season;
~ Pompey bring on Robertson, Yengi, Scully, Sparkes and Raggett as subs to affect the game;
~ Yengi came on as a sub on 85mins and managed to win and score a penalty. He has four goals in his first week for Pompey;
~ Pompey's squad depth is so good Swanson & Towler were left out of the 18 man match day squad;
~ Fratton Park will be rocking for Tuesday's game vs Exeter;
~ Pompey have five of the next six games (including cup games) at home;
~ Barnsley (5th) v Peterborough (4th) and Cambridge (2nd) vs Stevenage (3rd) on Tuesday night so opportunity for Pompey to climb the table quickly;
~ Pompey are now unbeaten in fourteen consecutive games;
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Positives from Leyton Orient Game

Post by Milton End »

Jack

I would add that our manager seems to be able to make good decisions with regard to substitutions, etc. ....so far. It was my impression that previous recent managers - Kenny and the Cowleys - have arguably struggled woth both timing and tactics.

But in fairness, it may also be that we have a much stronger squad - contracted players, not just loanees. Perhaps therefore the positives run deeper than just the performance so far.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Milton End wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:20 pm Jack

I would add that our manager seems to be able to make good decisions with regard to substitutions, etc. ....so far. It was my impression that previous recent managers - Kenny and the Cowleys - have arguably struggled woth both timing and tactics.

But in fairness, it may also be that we have a much stronger squad - contracted players, not just loanees. Perhaps therefore the positives run deeper than just the performance so far.
Mousinho is still learning and developing as a manager but I agree with you that he seems to be comfortable making changes. Bringing on Scully at halftime for Kamara (who Mousinho was concerned was going to be physically struggling in the 2nd half after his efforts midweek vs Forest Green) is a really good example of proactively managing the game and your players.

Really happy if others want to add positives too. This season won't be all 4-0 away wins but I think we all could benefit from looking at the positives from games....
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I would have imagined that by the end of this month we could have expected to have built up a reasonable number of points considering our fixtures were against teams we should normally expect to beat
I do think including a pizza cup match against Fulham U21 is not justified as a serious game although we are going because its something to do on a Tuesday evening
I think we should realistically look at where we are at the end of September after we play Peterborough Barnsley Derby Lincoln and Wigan to see how the season could pan out as that’s one hell of a difficult run of fixtures
Not saying I didn’t enjoy the last 2 matches but they were against a team who have just come up and one who just went down so im not getting carried away
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:36 pm I would have imagined that by the end of this month we could have expected to have built up a reasonable number of points considering our fixtures were against teams we should normally expect to beat
I do think including a pizza cup match against Fulham U21 is not justified as a serious game although we are going because its something to do on a Tuesday evening
I think we should realistically look at where we are at the end of September after we play Peterborough Barnsley Derby Lincoln and Wigan to see how the season could pan out as that’s one hell of a difficult run of fixtures
Not saying I didn’t enjoy the last 2 matches but they were against a team who have just come up and one who just went down so im not getting carried away
I wouldn’t discount Exeter during this period as they will be a tough nut to crack on Tuesday I think they will park the bus at FP and we will find out if we have the capabilities to unlock their defence
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:36 pm I would have imagined that by the end of this month we could have expected to have built up a reasonable number of points considering our fixtures were against teams we should normally expect to beat
I agree with all of that. However, I am not saying that Pompey are going to get promoted, just pointing out some positives from the Leyton Orient game. That's it really - just highlighting positives.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:53 pm ~ First League Win;
~ Away Win - (against the winners of League Two last year in their first home game of League One);
~ 1st Clean Sheet of the Season;
~ Four Goals Scored;
~ Two away wins (100%) in the opening week of the season - seven goals scored and only one conceded.
~ Whyte showing signs of improved form - had an assist in this game;
~ Rafferty had two assists - three now in two league games;
~ Bishop gets his first goal of the season;
~ Pompey bring on Robertson, Yengi, Scully, Sparkes and Raggett as subs to affect the game;
~ Yengi came on as a sub on 85mins and managed to win and score a penalty. He has four goals in his first week for Pompey;
~ Pompey's squad depth is so good Swanson & Towler were left out of the 18 man match day squad;
~ Fratton Park will be rocking for Tuesday's game vs Exeter;
~ Pompey have five of the next six games (including cup games) at home;
~ Barnsley (5th) v Peterborough (4th) and Cambridge (2nd) vs Stevenage (3rd) on Tuesday night so opportunity for Pompey to climb the table quickly;
~ Pompey are now unbeaten in fourteen consecutive games;
You forgot one.....
....Morrell managed to stay out of the ref's book. In some ways more amazing than anything else!
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:31 pm Mousinho is still learning and developing as a manager but I agree with you that he seems to be comfortable making changes. Bringing on Scully at halftime for Kamara (who Mousinho was concerned was going to be physically struggling in the 2nd half after his efforts midweek vs Forest Green) is a really good example of proactively managing the game and your players.
I liked his post-match interview - particularly regarding what he thought was wrong in the first half ie overplaying and some strange decisions by the players. So hopefully we'll start to become more positive from the first whistle.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

NSRailings wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:20 am
Jack_Tinn wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:31 pm Mousinho is still learning and developing as a manager but I agree with you that he seems to be comfortable making changes. Bringing on Scully at halftime for Kamara (who Mousinho was concerned was going to be physically struggling in the 2nd half after his efforts midweek vs Forest Green) is a really good example of proactively managing the game and your players.
I liked his post-match interview - particularly regarding what he thought was wrong in the first half ie overplaying and some strange decisions by the players. So hopefully we'll start to become more positive from the first whistle.
I agree NS spot on we need to start games off on the right foot, hopefully JM will instill this into the players especially starting tomorrow as coming back from an early opposition goal can throw your plans out.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:26 pm coming back from an early opposition goal can throw your plans out.
... especially against a team that haven't conceded a goal yet this season
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Agree completely.

I was at Fratton Park for the poor first half of the Rovers match. Very early days then, but we did not look like a promotion side during the early part of that game. We're still a work-in-progress IMO.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Milton End wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:20 pm I was at Fratton Park for the poor first half of the Rovers match. Very early days then, but we did not look like a promotion side during the early part of that game. We're still a work-in-progress IMO.
It was a slight worry, but the second half of that game, and two performances since have been encouraging and, as I said in another thread, Mousinho deserves a good deal of credit for making the necessary changes at the right time, something Cowley would not have done. Also, Bristol Rovers might turn out to be a better side than we perhaps gave them credit for. They drew with Barnsley on Saturday, the side who put 7 past Port Vale the week before, and who are one of the favourites for automatic promotion.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

As always, no clear assessment until 10 games or so have passed.

That said, the squad, team and manager look better on the pitch than some thought they were on paper a fortnight ago.