England in World Cup Final

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: England in World Cup Final

Post by GreenBlue »

Dinksy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:54 am
Aww! I thought we were actually going to have an intelligent, rational exchange of views there but it seems you're just not up to it or simply prefer to go on the wind up which is boring.
Dinky having a go at someone else for being a wind-up merchant. That made me chuckle.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

PB2, you know very well that wasn't my point but if you want to do your usual thing of twisting what another forum user has said rather than engage in an intelligent discussion, which you are quite clearly incapable of doing, I'll leave you to get on with it. And I'll leave others to decide if your suggestions that I think women are crap at football and should be in the kitchen (a really feeble retort even for you) are remotely anything I believe or the level of an adult debate.
Don't worry though, school holidays are over soon and you can get back to your plasticine class.
Last edited by Dinksy on Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

GreenBlue wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:48 pm
Dinksy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:54 am
Aww! I thought we were actually going to have an intelligent, rational exchange of views there but it seems you're just not up to it or simply prefer to go on the wind up which is boring.
Dinky having a go at someone else for being a wind-up merchant. That made me chuckle.
Don't you start! :lol:
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Dinksy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:09 pm PB2, you know very well that wasn't my point but if you want to do your usual thing of twisting what another forum user has said rather than engage in an intelligent discussion, which you are quite clearly incapable of doing, I'll leave you to get on with it. And I'll leave others to decide if your suggestions that I think women are crap at football and should be in the kitchen (a really feeble retort even for you) are remotely anything I believe or the level of an adult debate.
Don't worry though, school holidays are over soon and you can get back to your plasticine class.
I agree about the standard improving but the women's game is a world away from the level of the men's in almost every respect - technique, athleticism, tactics, pace....etc - so I cannot get on board with all the hype and the ridiculous comparison with the achievement of '66

so tell me what your point was then??
splot
Gary O'Neil

Post by splot »

I'm fairly sure that the women on the pitch in the Semi Final were streets ahead in fitness (at least) compared to the '66 team. I'm sure the current England team (of either sex) don't smoke 40 Capstan Full Strength a day and head off to the pub for 6 pints of mild after training. :D
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Dinksy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:41 am Hey, party-pooper here! I agree about the standard improving but the women's game is a world away from the level of the men's in almost every respect - technique, athleticism, tactics, pace....etc - so I cannot get on board with all the hype and the ridiculous comparison with the achievement of '66. I hope they do well on Sunday and it will, not doubt, boost the women's game but, although the quality is improving, it's still just the women's game.
You’re entitled to express your view of course Dinksy but I have to reply - I think you’re wrong!

Have you watched any of the games ? If you have couldn’t have been paying sufficient attention.

Whilst men will generally have a speed / physicality advantage over women, I’d argue that there are a good number of women playing in the Women’s World Cup who possess superior technique, acceleration and football intelligence compared with a good number of men currently playing in the EFL and in a few cases the EPL too!
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Mickemo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:01 pm
Dinksy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:41 am Hey, party-pooper here! I agree about the standard improving but the women's game is a world away from the level of the men's in almost every respect - technique, athleticism, tactics, pace....etc - so I cannot get on board with all the hype and the ridiculous comparison with the achievement of '66. I hope they do well on Sunday and it will, not doubt, boost the women's game but, although the quality is improving, it's still just the women's game.
You’re entitled to express your view of course Dinksy but I have to reply - I think you’re wrong!

Have you watched any of the games ? If you have couldn’t have been paying sufficient attention.

Whilst men will generally have a speed / physicality advantage over women, I’d argue that there are a good number of women playing in the Women’s World Cup who possess superior technique, acceleration and football intelligence compared with a good number of men currently playing in the EFL and in a few cases the EPL too!

Yes, Mick, I have watched some of the games and even been paying attention. I have been watching football from park, non-league (up Jubilee Park when Pompey were away) to full professional level in this country, Spain and Brazil at club and international level all my life. I also played at amateur level up to my 60s so I think I have collected a bit of knowledge about the game along the way.
The women's World Cup, which, we assume is the best the women's game have to offer, in the latter stages of the competition - the best of the best - is about our domestic National League level. Still plenty of thrills and spills to enjoy but no comparison with the men's game at the equivalent World Cup level. Nothing wrong with it but that's the reality, not the hype.
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say 'men have a speed advantage over women' but then in the same sentence, 'women possess superior acceleration'. Seems a contradiction to me but thanks for a mature approach to the discussion. I accept that often you may have a point over the 'intelligence' difference!
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Dinksy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:22 am

Yes, Mick, I have watched some of the games and even been paying attention. I have been watching football from park, non-league (up Jubilee Park when Pompey were away) to full professional level in this country, Spain and Brazil at club and international level all my life. I also played at amateur level up to my 60s so I think I have collected a bit of knowledge about the game along the way.
The women's World Cup, which, we assume is the best the women's game have to offer, in the latter stages of the competition - the best of the best - is about our domestic National League level. Still plenty of thrills and spills to enjoy but no comparison with the men's game at the equivalent World Cup level. Nothing wrong with it but that's the reality, not the hype.
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say 'men have a speed advantage over women' but then in the same sentence, 'women possess superior acceleration'. Seems a contradiction to me but thanks for a mature approach to the discussion. I accept that often you may have a point over the 'intelligence' difference!
you do clearly have a lot of football knowledge Dinksy, and yet you still dismiss their achievement of reaching a World Cup Final ?
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Sorry, PB, you'll have to find someone else to tease today. Why not get your Play-Doh out.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I personally don’t really care about the “quality of the players” I just want to watch good games. As long as both sides are relatively evenly matched it’s fine to me.

Yeah the best attackers for the women’s teams might not be as good as the best attackers for the men’s team but guess what... that also applies to the defenders as well so it kinda evens it selves out.

I might by in the small minority here but my favourite Pompey game I’ve been to was the Sunderland game at Wembley. On paper our team was a lot worse than our FA Cup winning team but the game against Cardiff was boring as hell and the Sunderland one had me in the edge of my seat throughout. Quality of players doesn’t equate to good games.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Dinksy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:47 am Sorry, PB, you'll have to find someone else to tease today. Why not get your Play-Doh out.
I am not teasing you Dinksy, I am genuinely interested in your view as to why it isn't an achievement?
You haven't answered the post about why your point from that statement was, maybe you can help me understand why reaching a men's final is more of an achievement than reaching a women's final is
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Similar to yourself I’ve watched more games of football over the last 5 decades than I care to remember, I’m a EUFA qualified coach so like to think I also know a little about football (noting no one knows everything not even Pep).

Speed and Acceleration are 2 different things and provide different strengths and weaknesses to a team so no contradiction in my post above.

I’ve very very rarely seen a national league side produce moments of quality I’ve watched during this World Cup so I dont accept your comparison as fair. I find a match between 2 decent women’s teams equally as exciting as a match in the EFL.

Watch the final on Sunday with an open mind and report back on your view of the the technique on display (I acknowledge not all of the players will be top quality but a decent number will be).
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Mickemo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:45 pm

Similar to yourself I’ve watched more games of football over the last 5 decades than I care to remember, I’m a EUFA qualified coach so like to think I also know a little about football (noting no one knows everything not even Pep).

Speed and Acceleration are 2 different things and provide different strengths and weaknesses to a team so no contradiction in my post above.

I’ve very very rarely seen a national league side produce moments of quality I’ve watched during this World Cup so I dont accept your comparison as fair. I find a match between 2 decent women’s teams equally as exciting as a match in the EFL.

Watch the final on Sunday with an open mind and report back on your view of the the technique on display (I acknowledge not all of the players will be top quality but a decent number will be).
That's excellent to have a EUFA (sic) qualified coach on here. Can you educate me as to the difference then, from a EUFA qualified coach perspective between speed and acceleration? I thought you were going to explain how a EUFA qualified coach would interpret the difference.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Simple physics. Speed is velocity, ie. how fast a body is moving.(mph).

Acceleration is rate of change eg. 0 to 60.

In football terms ‘change of pace’ is often more useful to beat an opponent than outright top speed. In that case, acceleration trumps speed.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

StMonkton wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:29 am Simple physics. Speed is velocity, ie. how fast a body is moving.(mph).

Acceleration is rate of change eg. 0 to 60.

In football terms ‘change of pace’ is often more useful to beat an opponent than outright top speed. In that case, acceleration trumps speed.
I had hoped to hear that from the "EUFA" qualified coach amongst us but thanks for the input.