England in World Cup Final

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: England in World Cup Final

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr Dee wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:46 am
splot wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:38 pm I'm fairly sure that the women on the pitch in the Semi Final were streets ahead in fitness (at least) compared to the '66 team. I'm sure the current England team (of either sex) don't smoke 40 Capstan Full Strength a day and head off to the pub for 6 pints of mild after training. :D
No, they go to nightclubs, do loads of shots and sniff cocaine these days👀

Don’t we all!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:22 am
Mr Dee wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:46 am
splot wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:38 pm I'm fairly sure that the women on the pitch in the Semi Final were streets ahead in fitness (at least) compared to the '66 team. I'm sure the current England team (of either sex) don't smoke 40 Capstan Full Strength a day and head off to the pub for 6 pints of mild after training. :D
No, they go to nightclubs, do loads of shots and sniff cocaine these days👀

Don’t we all!
Yes but we’re the fans 😂
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Anyway we had one English woman world champion this weekend. Well done Katarina Johnson Thompson on successfully defending her title at the athletics world championships. 🥇
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Just read that Olga Carmona, the Spanish captain and goal scorer, was told after the final that her Father had passed away two days earlier. She was not informed at the family's request so that it would not affect her play.
Part of me understands, another part thinks this is really insensitive and the third part wonders if her not being in the final would have changed the outcome.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

blue architect wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:42 am Just read that Olga Carmona, the Spanish captain and goal scorer, was told after the final that her Father had passed away two days earlier. She was not informed at the family's request so that it would not affect her play.
Part of me understands, another part thinks this is really insensitive and the third part wonders if her not being in the final would have changed the outcome.
I think that's appalling.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:46 pm
Mickemo wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:30 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:32 am
StMonkton wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:29 am Simple physics. Speed is velocity, ie. how fast a body is moving.(mph).

Acceleration is rate of change eg. 0 to 60.

In football terms ‘change of pace’ is often more useful to beat an opponent than outright top speed. In that case, acceleration trumps speed.
I had hoped to hear that from the "EUFA" qualified coach amongst us but thanks for the input.
No need to resort to those sorts of posts Dinksy, I normally keep personal details like that to myself for exactly the reason your last post proves! Unexpected from you TBH, you’re better than that.

Anyway back to the question…to be honest it’s so obvious what the difference is that I didn’t feel it necessary to do so. StMonkton thanks for explaining that difference so succinctly.

Let’s me know your thoughts after the match tomorrow….👍
For me England showed too much acceleration and not enough speed. What do your EUFA credentials tell you went wrong with them?
and i am the sarcastic childish one??
Note you still not responded to the whats your point post :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

One other positive I took away from the game is there was a lot less theatrics in the pitch. Hardly any players crowding the ref or diving. Also big props to Greenwood for getting that head injury and continuing to play with no moaning whatsoever and still putting in some great tackles in injury time. The guys could learn a thing.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:26 pm One other positive I took away from the game is there was a lot less theatrics in the pitch. Hardly any players crowding the ref or diving. Also big props to Greenwood for getting that head injury and continuing to play with no moaning whatsoever and still putting in some great tackles in injury time. The guys could learn a thing.
Great effort from the Lionesses but ultimately not quite enough on the day. Congrats to Spain who are a superb side with some very gifted individuals.

Agree with you 100% on your Greenwood comment Sam!
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:46 pm
Mickemo wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:30 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:32 am
StMonkton wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:29 am Simple physics. Speed is velocity, ie. how fast a body is moving.(mph).

Acceleration is rate of change eg. 0 to 60.

In football terms ‘change of pace’ is often more useful to beat an opponent than outright top speed. In that case, acceleration trumps speed.
I had hoped to hear that from the "EUFA" qualified coach amongst us but thanks for the input.
No need to resort to those sorts of posts Dinksy, I normally keep personal details like that to myself for exactly the reason your last post proves! Unexpected from you TBH, you’re better than that.

Anyway back to the question…to be honest it’s so obvious what the difference is that I didn’t feel it necessary to do so. StMonkton thanks for explaining that difference so succinctly.

Let’s me know your thoughts after the match tomorrow….👍
For me England showed too much acceleration and not enough speed. What do your EUFA credentials tell you went wrong with them?
I hoped you were going to post a sensible response but alas it’s clearly too much to ask - such a disappointment 👍😀
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Well, the first part is a joke for those with a sense of humour, the second part is a genuine enquiry. I would genuinely like to see a review of England's performance from a EUFA qualified coach. I would go so far to say, this message board is lucky to have someone who could contribute such an informed level opinion. How about it?
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:02 am Well, the first part is a joke for those with a sense of humour, the second part is a genuine enquiry. I would genuinely like to see a review of England's performance from a EUFA qualified coach. I would go so far to say, this message board is lucky to have someone who could contribute such an informed level opinion. How about it?
how about you answer my genuine enquiry as to your point Dinksy
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:02 am Well, the first part is a joke for those with a sense of humour, the second part is a genuine enquiry. I would genuinely like to see a review of England's performance from a EUFA qualified coach. I would go so far to say, this message board is lucky to have someone who could contribute such an informed level opinion. How about it?
I very much doubt you’re interested in my view at all, I’d prob bore you to death like I do my sons when I ‘go on about football’ 😀

I was really interested in YOUR views given YOU were the one making the scathing comments.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Hardly scathing, Mick. I just thought the standards of the two games were different although I did enjoy a lot about the Final.
Anyway, I think this ship has sailed now.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Yup like the Titanic
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Good one. Now that's what I call an icebreaker.

(PS. It's a j-o-k-e)