England in World Cup Final

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: England in World Cup Final

Post by GreenBlue »

Dinksy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:10 pm
GreenBlue wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:48 pm
Dinksy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:54 am
Aww! I thought we were actually going to have an intelligent, rational exchange of views there but it seems you're just not up to it or simply prefer to go on the wind up which is boring.
Dinky having a go at someone else for being a wind-up merchant. That made me chuckle.
Don't you start! :lol:
Happy to take a back seat on this one, Dinksy, as many others are doing my work for me. :wink:

However, I did chuckle in the pub last night when some young lads were talking excitedly about England in the world Cup Final when an older guy (still younger than me) on the next table piped up, uninvited but very confidently, "Don't get me wrong, I'll give them my support but..." and went on to say how they were inferior to 'proper football players' and said he would get a place in that England side if he were a woman, no sweat. The lads just looked at him as if he were a dick and one said something like 'a leopard (I think he meant cheetah) would smash the men's world 100 metre record and probably all running records but that doesn't make the Olympic champion any less brilliant.' The guy said yes but leopards and men are different creatures and the kid replied 'So are men and women'.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:08 am
I might by in the small minority here but my favourite Pompey game I’ve been to was the Sunderland game at Wembley.
I am not sure that you are in the minority on that one. What a game, what and afternoon. It was only the FA Trophy (or whatever it was called) but it was still brilliant.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

I won't be watching the final tomorrow, not because I don't want to (I do), but because I'll be somewhere that I can't. But I'll be rooting for our girls just the same as I did for our boys in '66. You can only beat what is in front of you, and
if they beat Spain they'll deserve every bit as much credit.

PS. Am I the only one who sees a lot of Bobby Moore in Millie Bright?
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Dinksy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:32 am
StMonkton wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:29 am Simple physics. Speed is velocity, ie. how fast a body is moving.(mph).

Acceleration is rate of change eg. 0 to 60.

In football terms ‘change of pace’ is often more useful to beat an opponent than outright top speed. In that case, acceleration trumps speed.
I had hoped to hear that from the "EUFA" qualified coach amongst us but thanks for the input.
No need to resort to those sorts of posts Dinksy, I normally keep personal details like that to myself for exactly the reason your last post proves! Unexpected from you TBH, you’re better than that.

Anyway back to the question…to be honest it’s so obvious what the difference is that I didn’t feel it necessary to do so. StMonkton thanks for explaining that difference so succinctly.

Let’s me know your thoughts after the match tomorrow….👍
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:58 pm I won't be watching the final tomorrow, not because I don't want to (I do), but because I'll be somewhere that I can't. But I'll be rooting for our girls just the same as I did for our boys in '66. You can only beat what is in front of you, and
if they beat Spain they'll deserve every bit as much credit.

PS. Am I the only one who sees a lot of Bobby Moore in Millie Bright?
100% agree, if the Lionesses beat Spain tomorrow they will deserve moment of glory coming their way. Spain are a very very good team with some world class passing ability.

This match is going to be so tight I can’t call it either way - Come on England!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Losing 1-0 eek.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

We're poor, Spain far better than us so far. Final ball is shocking, can't believe the number of chances we've given away either.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Handball my ****. ****** joke.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Great save!!!!
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Spain deserved it today but England have done the country proud.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Mickemo wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:30 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:32 am
StMonkton wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:29 am Simple physics. Speed is velocity, ie. how fast a body is moving.(mph).

Acceleration is rate of change eg. 0 to 60.

In football terms ‘change of pace’ is often more useful to beat an opponent than outright top speed. In that case, acceleration trumps speed.
I had hoped to hear that from the "EUFA" qualified coach amongst us but thanks for the input.
No need to resort to those sorts of posts Dinksy, I normally keep personal details like that to myself for exactly the reason your last post proves! Unexpected from you TBH, you’re better than that.

Anyway back to the question…to be honest it’s so obvious what the difference is that I didn’t feel it necessary to do so. StMonkton thanks for explaining that difference so succinctly.

Let’s me know your thoughts after the match tomorrow….👍
For me England showed too much acceleration and not enough speed. What do your EUFA credentials tell you went wrong with them?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

It pains me to say this but we didn’t deserve to win. Spain were the better team.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

We had no composure and Spain had it in spades.
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

Taking off your two best goalscorers at half time when you're losing is unusual.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

splot wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:38 pm I'm fairly sure that the women on the pitch in the Semi Final were streets ahead in fitness (at least) compared to the '66 team. I'm sure the current England team (of either sex) don't smoke 40 Capstan Full Strength a day and head off to the pub for 6 pints of mild after training. :D
No, they go to nightclubs, do loads of shots and sniff cocaine these days👀