Team for Cheltenham

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Team for Cheltenham

Post by jam tomorrow »

My team for the Cheltenham game dropping Scully to bench Whyte out until he knows which areas of pitch to operate

Norris
Raffs Poole Shaughns Ogs
Pack Morrell
Kamara Roberts Bish Sparkes

Subs Schofield Swanny Saydee Raggers Scully Yengi
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Selsey Fan
Gary O'Neil
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Team for Cheltenham

Post by Selsey Fan »

One short on the bench?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Just put Whyte there then
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Interesting to see what JM does with Robertson and Saydee this week…
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Mickemo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:55 pm Interesting to see what JM does with Robertson and Saydee this week…
I think it’s a toss up over who starts if you want a physical presence then it’s Saydee to wear them down and use Robertson as an impact player

Or start Robertson for the guile and if it became overly physical introduce Saydee

I think also Robertson needs to calm down a little as he’s picked 2 unnecessary bookings already
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

My xi

Norris,
Rafferty
Poole
Shaughnessy
Sparkes
Pack
Morrell
Robertson
Kamara,
Scully
Bishop

Subs: Schofield, Swanson, Raggett, Devlin, Whyte, Yengi, Saydee

I am sure though that Mousinho will go with the same starting eleven as the game vs Exeter. No disrespect meant to Cheltenham but I think Pompey can play more expansively vs Cheltenham than Exeter so that is why I have Kamara and Sparkes in from the start.

Oglivie has done nothing wrong but I suspect he will need to play both games vs Peterborough so I would give him a week off (not going to play him vs Fulham U21s either) and let Sparkes bomb forward from left back to provide some overlap and width to Scully.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:13 pm My xi

Norris,
Rafferty
Poole
Shaughnessy
Sparkes
Pack
Morrell
Robertson
Kamara,
Scully
Bishop

I am sure though that Mousinho will go with the same starting eleven as the game vs Exeter. No disrespect meant to Cheltenham but I think Pompey can play more expansively vs Cheltenham than Exeter so that is why I have Kamara and Sparkes in from the start.

Oglivie has done nothing wrong but I suspect he will need to play both games vs Peterborough so I would give him a week off (not going to play him vs Fulham U21s either) and let Sparkes bomb forward from left back to provide some overlap and width to Scully.
Can’t see JM playing Sparkes without a left back ie Ogilvie he is a liability in defence and he can’t be trusted there his strength is attack only
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:18 pm

Norris,
Rafferty
Poole
Shaughnessy
Sparkes
Pack
Morrell
Robertson
Kamara,
Scully
Bishop

Can’t see JM playing Sparkes without a left back ie Ogilvie he is a liability in defence and he can’t be trusted there his strength is attack only
Absolutely agree the simple solution is put Scully on the bench and play Ogilvie and Sparkes in tandem
Most teams in this league will have come across Sparkes in this league and if he plays as a left back will target him as he is weak in defence
Anyway why must Ogilvie play both Peterborough games let him rest in the cup game as it’s not a priority and they should all get a rest on the 9th as it’s going to be called off anyway

Edit
After I posted this I realized that we have tickets for Stevenage next Saturday so why would any team selection need to take into account the Peterborough games
Surely we play our best team tomorrow, play squad players and kids on Tuesday, play our best team against Stevenage then a squad team against Peterborough in the cup
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:28 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:18 pm

Norris,
Rafferty
Poole
Shaughnessy
Sparkes
Pack
Morrell
Robertson
Kamara,
Scully
Bishop

Absolutely agree the simple solution is put Scully on the bench and play Ogilvie and Sparkes in tandem
Most teams in this league will have come across Sparkes in this league and if he plays as a left back will target him as he is weak in defence
Anyway why must Ogilvie play both Peterborough games let him rest in the cup game as it’s not a priority and they should all get a rest on the 9th as it’s going to be called off anyway

Edit
After I posted this I realized that we have tickets for Stevenage next Saturday so why would any team selection need to take into account the Peterborough games
Surely we play our best team tomorrow, play squad players and kids on Tuesday, play our best team against Stevenage then a squad team against Peterborough in the cup
apologies, I should have clarified. Oglivie for me has to play vs Stevnage (a) and then both Peterborough games during the following week so the Cheltenham game, for me, would be the time to give him a breather now for a week before three games on the trot.

I get the point about Sparkes' being weaker than Oglivie in defence but vs Cheltenham at FP I think we can go for a very attacking line up and look to pin them in their own half and having a wide left player who can regularly get excellent crosses into the box is an asset of Sparkes' game.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Thank you for your clarification but to me the cup game is a distraction so that’s the game to rest players in my opinions
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:27 pm Thank you for your clarification but to me the cup game is a distraction so that’s the game to rest players in my opinions
I understand what you are saying 55, the league must be our main priority. I would not however, describe cup matches as distractions. they are opportunities to progress and generate excitement, test out fringe players, try out new formations and tactics, attract some youngsters who have never been to a live Pompey game, and, occasionally, to make a few extra pennies for the club. I'd always like to see Pompey winning matches, whatever competition they are in.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:56 am
Pompey55 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:27 pm Thank you for your clarification but to me the cup game is a distraction so that’s the game to rest players in my opinions
I understand what you are saying 55, the league must be our main priority. I would not however, describe cup matches as distractions. they are opportunities to progress and generate excitement, test out fringe players, try out new formations and tactics, attract some youngsters who have never been to a live Pompey game, and, occasionally, to make a few extra pennies for the club. I'd always like to see Pompey winning matches, whatever competition they are in.
Your right I could have put it in a better way your explanation sounds better than my simplistic resting players

My main point is that Ogilvie should play in the Saturday league games and rest in the midweek cup games

I do think that left back is a position we should more cover for as Exeter fans seem to have been right about Sparkes good going forward but not so useful defensively
I do prefer him to Scully who in my opinion has disappointed in the left attacking position in particular his set pieces
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Unchanged team against Cheltenham.

Let's hope Scully's corner taking has improved.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Stalemate would put Yengi upfront with Bishop to avoid a pointless draw just a question of when?
-- Diane Johnson
Pompeypete73
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Pompeypete73 »

Yengi not even on the bench! Injured