What Should Pompey do before the end of this Transfer Window?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: What Should Pompey do before the end of this Transfer Window?

Post by Blue Walter »

I have not seen us play since the Bristol Rovers game so I can't comment on the games. What I have read, and going on past first hand experience, I would have said it was the obvious way to go by playing at least two strikers. When a team struggles to create chances with skillful play generally the answer is to bring on more strikers, as in the Rovers game where we ended up with three up top. Any forward punt has danger for the opposition with more players looking to get on the end of forward passes. I haven't seen the new loanee yet but I always thought our transfer policy was too League One orientated without the extra quality needed. Perhaps we should start games by chasing the game and then altering the shape once we have gone in front by a couple of goals.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:58 pm I have not seen us play since the Bristol Rovers game so I can't comment on the games. What I have read, and going on past first hand experience, I would have said it was the obvious way to go by playing at least two strikers. When a team struggles to create chances with skillful play generally the answer is to bring on more strikers, as in the Rovers game where we ended up with three up top. Any forward punt has danger for the opposition with more players looking to get on the end of forward passes. I haven't seen the new loanee yet but I always thought our transfer policy was too League One orientated without the extra quality needed. Perhaps we should start games by chasing the game and then altering the shape once we have gone in front by a couple of goals.
I assume you’re not advocating a return to the Charles Hughes approach to football? 😀

At Home I’d also like to see us start with 2 centre forwards and an attacking formation that’s going to put them/keep them on the back foot.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I see that Jamal is leaving Bournemouth. Just saying.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:59 pm I see that Jamal is leaving Bournemouth. Just saying.
What is this fascination with Jamal? I thought he was pretty average when he was with us and we probably have better than him now!! :roll:
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:59 pm I see that Jamal is leaving Bournemouth. Just saying.
If you look out of the window now your bound to see a pig flying by give it a wave
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

eltorrro wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:13 pm
What is this fascination with Jamal? I thought he was pretty average when he was with us and we probably have better than him now!! :roll:
I'd take any of our wide players scoring 15 league goals for us this season - as he did in his final season before leaving. . .as well as a pretty memorable goal at Wembley!
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

PeteM wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:17 pm
I'd take any of our wide players scoring 15 league goals for us this season - as he did in his final season before leaving. . .as well as a pretty memorable goal at Wembley!
So, would you rather have Jamal or Tino? (as a loan) :?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

YOU. ARE. JOKING. RIGHT. ?????
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

eltorrro wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:02 pm
Firstly, that wasn't what you said originally - you said he was average with us and we have better than him now. Not sure who you were referring to?

Secondly, I'd have the player who is proven, all things being equal. The chances of us affording Jamal Lowe's wages are almost negligible though, since he's reported to be on £12,000 a week at Bournemouth. I think Anjorin is a talented player with potential too though.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

PeteM wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:53 pm
Firstly, that wasn't what you said originally - you said he was average with us and we have better than him now. Not sure who you were referring to?

Secondly, I'd have the player who is proven, all things being equal. The chances of us affording Jamal Lowe's wages are almost negligible though, since he's reported to be on £12,000 a week at Bournemouth. I think Anjorin is a talented player with potential too though.
Jamal was one of the most exciting, electric players we have had in years, far better that anyone we have in his position in our team right now.
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:35 pm

Jamal was one of the most exciting, electric players we have had in years, far better that anyone we have in his position in our team right now.
Each to his own I suppose but not one of my 'besty's'!
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Actually, I said we 'probably' have better than him. Still early days for our new recruits and I am expecting good things from them this season. Also, my point was that we (hopefully?) have recruited good wingers who will do the job for us so in theory we do not need Jamal...but we do, most certainly, need an attacking midfielder like Anjorin.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

If we could get Jamal it would be amazing. He is the finished article where as Anjorin is still learning his trade
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Actually, I said we 'probably' have better than him. Still early days for our new recruits and I am expecting good things from them this season. Also, my point was that we (hopefully?) have recruited good wingers who will do the job for us so in theory we do not need Jamal...but we do, most certainly, need an attacking midfielder like Anjorin.

I agree re Tino I like Robertson too he is very talented and I'm sure he will be even better for us as the season progresses however Tino will come in as a seasoned player ready to go. Hopefully if we get him I can see him and Bish being a threat up front, Scully and Whyte have got the potential to be a threat. JM has got to work with them all to work out how they are going to break down defences, and score the goals we need to be a force in this division. Would Jamal be more of a threat maybe but he would replace Whyte who is a seasoned pro that was wanted by quite a few clubs?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I would be absolutely amazed if ME sanctioned the signing of Jamal Lowe. That would involve spending some real money.