What Should Pompey do before the end of this Transfer Window?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

What Should Pompey do before the end of this Transfer Window?

Post by Jack_Tinn »

With just over a week left of the summer transfer window I am interested to know what you think Pompey should do before the end of the Transfer Window?

What positions do you think need to be strengthened before the window shuts?

Should Pompey get some cover now that Yengi and Lowery are injured?

Pompey have three loan slots available in their match day squad. Should they use one or more of these on a loan player?

What attributes do we need in the squad? Pace? Creativity? Strength? Height? Poacher Striker?

Do you think Pompey should sell any squad players? Hume we know about but how should we accept a bid for Raggett if one comes in?

Pompey have indicated that there is still money in the kitty for one or two more players - whether permanent or loans - and that the injuries to Lowery and Yengi have made them go back to look at the options in the market.

I suspect that at least one more player will join but I am interested in what your thoughts on what they should do next?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: What Should Pompey do before the end of this Transfer Window?

Post by Sam_Brown »

Just put Raggett up front after seeing his goal from last night!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Bring in quality loans IF they significantly strengthen the squad, ideally first-teamers.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

We have a problem on both wings. I think Whyte has had his chance and it's time to get someone in that position. A player able and willing to take on a left back, find space and get balls into the danger areas. Paddy Lane may be the answer but I'm not convinced. Also not convinced by Scully. He's a signing with some pedigree that just hasn't shown it yet.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Someone who can take corners!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sell Hume to a Saudi team for £100million.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

My thoughts:

Lowery's Injury: I don't think Pompey need to cover this injury particularly. Pompey have Stevenson and Devlin who can play centre midfield and cannot even get in the match day squad currently. Pack, Morrell and Robertson are the starting three in midfield so the club have five central midfielders currently. If necessary the club can play with two of them and play Kamara, Scully, Lane etc in the 10 role. Shaughnessy can play there too (with Raggs or Towler available to come in in the back four).

Yengi Injury: He is going to be out for two months and the only fit striker back up to Bishop is Saydee. Saydee has started well but I am have some concerns about his finishing. Scully could play through the middle too but he is not going to do well physically in L1 against centre halves so its Saydee or bust right now behind Bishop. If an experienced striker were available on loan until January from L1 or the Championship then I think Pompey should be very interested. An injury or suspension for Bishop and there would be a big problem.

Creativity: Robertson looks like a quality loan signing and I can see him getting better and better with game time. I am not convinced though about Scully and Whyte. Both need to do more for me. Kamara looks brilliant at times and a young kid learning the game at others (which he is). If there is the opportunity to add creativity from wide areas then Pompey should take it in my view. Another creative midfielder - Tino Arjorin for example - would be a great option to add too.

Poacher: Linked to the situation with Yengi's injury. As much as I like Bishop's play I think he can improve his game by making runs in front of defenders. He does it on occasions (see the goal vs Orient) but often he is too static for me awaiting a cross and relying on his aerial ability in a contested situation. I highlight this to not bash Colby's play but to highlight that a striker that makes those runs, darting in front of defenders, gambling on crosses and 'poaching' goals is something that Pompey could still add to this squad imho.

These type of players are not easy to find but they can transform an average side into a promotion winning side: think Biley, Quinn, Whittingham for example none of them had blistering pace, were dominate in the air or would bamboozle defenders with their ball skills etc but they just got themselves time and time again in a goal scoring position so that when the pass or cross did come in they were in odds on to get a threatening goal attempt on target. Get a pure goal scorer and we are going to be in business this season.

I think that Pompey are in a strong position and should be looking for a player or two that will be that 'difference maker' since they have the squad players/depth already.

In terms of departures: If a bid of a couple hundred thousand came in for Raggett from a club that the player really wanted to go to then I would reluctantly sell him otherwise I think he is too important to the squad to let go. I would not be surprised to see him get a start soon in defence alongside Poole.

Hume is available and I expect him to leave. I hope for his career that he finds a club soon.

I am interested to see what happens with Mingi. Remember him......He is out of contract so can join a club outside of the transfer window but a fee (however low it may be) is due to Pompey when he does sign elsewhere.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

good thoughts all there Jack

On Bishop being too static I think that stems from last year, he made the runs again and again but Dale in particular would not cross first time, he turned back and out and back and out, by which time bishop was forced to stand still. If whyte and scully and sparkes can get the crosses flowing eraly I think he will go back to the run making of last year
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Based on the current situation we need attacking player to set up Bishop whether that’s a winger or a number 8 like Tino. Left back we need cover for Ogilvie not Sparkes, also not happy with Schofield if Norris gets injured. Schofield has been too inconsistent even though he saved a penalty last night.If Norris is out for sometime I think we will leak goals
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 pm good thoughts all there Jack

On Bishop being too static I think that stems from last year, he made the runs again and again but Dale in particular would not cross first time, he turned back and out and back and out, by which time bishop was forced to stand still. If whyte and scully and sparkes can get the crosses flowing eraly I think he will go back to the run making of last year
interesting perspective - I really appreciate you sharing what you saw last year. I really hope that is it and Bishop makes those attacking runs more often.

I hope there is someone in the coaching staff that is watching the attackers each game and providing feedback because it stands out for me. It is an easy coaching fix and Bishop probably just needs to be reminded that if he makes the run and the ball is not delivered the player not delivering the ball is going to be pulled up for it - but the same is true if he stands still and the ball doesn't come in because he is static. It needs both players to be in synch to generate the goal scored and right now there is work to be done in this area.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

More than anyone else, we need another Alex Robertson type IMO
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:50 pm More than anyone else, we need another Alex Robertson type IMO
I agree, but not necessarily to be on the pitch at the same time.

As an alternative I think we would benefit from a central midfielder who is a bit more box to box than we currently have. Given the injury to Lowery and the similarities of the others.

I'd be tempted to get a youngster on loan till Xmas to cover one of the forward berths, someone a bit different to Bishop and Saydee - as Yengi is out for a while.
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

I think we should be playing two strikers up front, more attack, less from the back. As pairings mentioned earlier, Alan Biley and other forwards with him gave us plenty of goal scoring opportunities, we just need to find another Mark Hateley, but for longer than one season………
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

It's so bl**dy obvious we need to play two up front. There's too much pressure put on Bishop to lead the front line. But give him a decent partner (like the underused Pigott last season) and he'll/they'll score goals.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

NSRailings wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:50 pm It's so bl**dy obvious we need to play two up front. There's too much pressure put on Bishop to lead the front line. But give him a decent partner (like the underused Pigott last season) and he'll/they'll score goals.
particularly at home. I can see how 4-3-3 is useful away from home but at home 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 for me is fine