Stevenage

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Stevenage

Post by Sam_Brown »

Clarke Harris would complement our team I feel. My POSH friend seems to think they need to get rid of a load of players for financial reasons and he might be off anyway.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:03 pm Clarke Harris would complement our team I feel. My POSH friend seems to think they need to get rid of a load of players for financial reasons and he might be off anyway.
We might have to pay for him but he could make all the difference to the side as long as Posh are not asking silly money which their chairman is inclined to do
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

We won't be buying him Too old for our model and we won't spend that sort of money when we can get loans and freebie's in.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:24 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:03 pm Clarke Harris would complement our team I feel. My POSH friend seems to think they need to get rid of a load of players for financial reasons and he might be off anyway.
We might have to pay for him but he could make all the difference to the side as long as Posh are not asking silly money which their chairman is inclined to do
Is he really the sort of player we are missing though? Doesn't he need service?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:35 pm We won't be buying him Too old for our model and we won't spend that sort of money when we can get loans and freebie's in.
Thereby lies the problem we caught a cold with Marquis and there is no guarantee if you pay big transfer fees you get the player we need as Sam says who do we bring in ? Really a question of pot luck we need a player who has been not deemed good enough for the Premiership but will tear up our league.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:19 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:18 pm My god, is this our promotion challenging team that's had most of the summer to get to know each other? Where have they been...in the ****** pub?

How about we get a proper football manager in, one that likes to ATTACK teams and score goals because this current idiot is clearly incapable of that. How many defensive players do we want in the first 11? How many players who can't hit a ****** barn door when in front of goal. How many ****** corners are we going to put in? How often are we going to mis-control or play terrible passes? I'm done with this season already. Moushino out! He's proved we can draw games...not ****** good enough. Get rid.

If anyone had the misfortune to watch that dirge then you could see we are absolutely miles off. It was almost unbearable to watch.
We again had the misfortune to watch it after a ****** journey up due to traffic limited access to beer at the ground so everyone was sober with many of us wishing we weren’t
I don’t need to comment about the game you have done it for me
As the old saying goes “you pay peanuts you get monkeys”
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Just a question if anyone can help me understand why when we have the option of Saydee and Robertson to play behind Bishop did we waste our time using Whyte in that position to absolutely no affect whatsoever are the management trying to justify his signing as so far this season his contribution has been next to nothing considering the hype when we got him
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Personally, I'd play Stevenson in place of Pack for a game or two and see how that works out for us.

I don't think Pack has truly stamped his authority on a game for about 12 months now.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I can definitely see where people are coming from in terms of not creating many chances. Being solid at the back doesn’t really mean anything if you can’t win games.

I did just check and we’ve played two games against people higher than us in the league and won one and drew one so that isn’t in itself a bad result. It’s a long season and I remain hopeful.

Hopefully we’ll see some movement in the transfer window to fix that.

I do honestly feel we are only one or two decent signings away from a top 2 finish.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:34 pm I can definitely see where people are coming from in terms of not creating many chances. Being solid at the back doesn’t really mean anything if you can’t win games.

I did just check and we’ve played two games against people higher than us in the league and won one and drew one so that isn’t in itself a bad result. It’s a long season and I remain hopeful.

Hopefully we’ll see some movement in the transfer window to fix that.

I do honestly feel we are only one or two decent signings away from a top 2 finish.
I admire your optimism Sam, but i don't share it. The manager has proved in 30 games that he doesn't know how to break teams down. Far too defensive, slow play, not making or taking chances, playing safe. It's the same old crap season after season. Let's see if Michael Eisner is true to his word about having a go this season because if we aren't up and around it by xmas then JM has to go. In fact I'd be looking for his replacement now.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Great away support today. I don't get to many away days so just enjoyed it from that point of view.

Shocking referee though. And as for our play we need 2 up front. Bishop had no decent chance of scoring and was heading the ball on to no one! You'd hope it'll be obvious to JM now. Plus there's a massive hole in our midfield and a lot of our corners/crosses are still light weight. We look fine in defence but too slow going forward.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:54 pmbecause if we aren't up and around it by xmas then JM has to go. In fact I'd be looking for his replacement now.
I appreciate that we all see things differently but, having just achieved our longest unbeaten run in a century and being the only undefeated team in the division, you want to get rid of the manager now? Wow.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:02 pm Just a question if anyone can help me understand why when we have the option of Saydee and Robertson to play behind Bishop did we waste our time using Whyte in that position to absolutely no affect whatsoever are the management trying to justify his signing as so far this season his contribution has been next to nothing considering the hype when we got him
Unfortunately Whyte and Mousinho are pals from their Oxford days. He is one of the worst 'performers' of all our summer signings yet still seems to retain his place.
By the way, P55, nice to have you back! Don't let the morons on here win.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:46 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:54 pmbecause if we aren't up and around it by xmas then JM has to go. In fact I'd be looking for his replacement now.
I appreciate that we all see things differently but, having just achieved our longest unbeaten run in a century and being the only undefeated team in the division, you want to get rid of the manager now? Wow.
Even I wouldn’t as far as that yet but unless something changes by the end of the year it may become inevitable
what surprised me when I got home and looked at the stats that apart from procession at 69/31 all the other stats were pretty much the same
I thought that they were there for the taking and had we had better support for Bishop and actually practiced set pieces in particular corners which have mostly end up deep beyond the far post all season then we should have turned that procession into a win instead of yet another draw against teams we should be beating if we want promotion

Also just a simple view from the stand it was amazing how often we had wide players available if the ball was moved more quickly but the players always seemed to move the ball sideways and backwards before taking those opportunities why play wingers if you don’t use them
Most of our chances came via that route when used however same old problem of only one in a position to attack those crosses with no one to attack the second ball
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

Mousinho attacking strategy hangs on wingers and crosses into the box. His and Hughes' summer priority was to strengthen these positions and a creative number 8/10 was seemingly way down the list of priorities. Unfortunately, our wingers are not performing and our attacking potential is thus neutralised.
Without the input from the flanks, we need either two up front to give poor Colby some support and/or to get that key midfielder in. Robertson is turning out to not the answer. Maybe Tino Anjorin will be.