Stevenage

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Stevenage

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I wonder whether there's a case for bringing in a "forwards coach". Mousinho, Harley and Redman were all defenders in their professional careers - and that's showing fruit in us being more defensively sound. But it seems logical that bringing in a coach who has experience in attacking positions would be helpful. I seem to remember Harry brought in Luther Blissett for a while to help our strikers improve. Could be enough to get our attack going?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:35 am I wonder whether there's a case for bringing in a "forwards coach". Mousinho, Harley and Redman were all defenders in their professional careers - and that's showing fruit in us being more defensively sound. But it seems logical that bringing in a coach who has experience in attacking positions would be helpful. I seem to remember Harry brought in Luther Blissett for a while to help our strikers improve. Could be enough to get our attack going?
Might be a good shout PB certainly worth a try I wondered whether Guy Whits might be able to help?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:46 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:54 pmbecause if we aren't up and around it by xmas then JM has to go. In fact I'd be looking for his replacement now.
I appreciate that we all see things differently but, having just achieved our longest unbeaten run in a century and being the only undefeated team in the division, you want to get rid of the manager now? Wow.
Yes we have a solid defence...when did not scoring any goals win you promotion?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:32 am Mousinho attacking strategy hangs on wingers and crosses into the box. His and Hughes' summer priority was to strengthen these positions and a creative number 8/10 was seemingly way down the list of priorities. Unfortunately, our wingers are not performing and our attacking potential is thus neutralised.
Without the input from the flanks, we need either two up front to give poor Colby some support and/or to get that key midfielder in. Robertson is turning out to not the answer. Maybe Tino Anjorin will be.
But yesterday Kamara Sparkes and Lane looked dangerous when they finally got the ball but often were not used when they were open and unmarked plus crosses into the box to only Bishop with no one to pick up the second ball were wasted I agree Robertson when given time is fine on the ball but easily dispossessed physically and doesn't make those late runs into the box we need maybe Anjorin will but will he be allowed as it seems every thing is defence first no risk football occasionally you need to take risks if you want to score
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:32 am Mousinho attacking strategy hangs on wingers and crosses into the box. His and Hughes' summer priority was to strengthen these positions and a creative number 8/10 was seemingly way down the list of priorities. Unfortunately, our wingers are not performing and our attacking potential is thus neutralised.
Without the input from the flanks, we need either two up front to give poor Colby some support and/or to get that key midfielder in. Robertson is turning out to not the answer. Maybe Tino Anjorin will be.
The irony of it all I remember some of us saying that we hadn't brought in any recognised statement signings we were then told by JM that Scullly and Whyte were those type of signings. I think we all agree that those players have been far from that up to now, certainly in theory they both were players that were well sought after in the marketplace. I appreciate that Whyte was an old buddie of JM which we believed was a plus at the time so the question is what does JM do now? Dont panic and hope they both come good, or bring in other alternatives that are an improvement, our srtiking options defintely needs addressing.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:35 am I wonder whether there's a case for bringing in a "forwards coach". Mousinho, Harley and Redman were all defenders in their professional careers - and that's showing fruit in us being more defensively sound. But it seems logical that bringing in a coach who has experience in attacking positions would be helpful. I seem to remember Harry brought in Luther Blissett for a while to help our strikers improve. Could be enough to get our attack going?
completely agree with this.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:06 am
The irony of it all I remember some of us saying that we hadn't brought in any recognised statement signings we were then told by JM that Scullly and Whyte were those type of signings. I think we all agree that those players have been far from that up to now, certainly in theory they both were players that were well sought after in the marketplace. I appreciate that Whyte was an old buddie of JM which we believed was a plus at the time so the question is what does JM do now? Dont panic and hope they both come good, or bring in other alternatives that are an improvement, our srtiking options defintely needs addressing.

The season is only a few games old, both of those mentioned have moved clubs off the back of not many games last season. I think it's a bit early to completely call them a busted flush.

Granted it would been nice to see more from them - but it's not the end of the world just yet. Seems like we are about to sign the lad from Chelsea too.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:18 am

The season is only a few games old, both of those mentioned have moved clubs off the back of not many games last season. I think it's a bit early to completely call them a busted flush.

Granted it would been nice to see more from them - but it's not the end of the world just yet. Seems like we are about to sign the lad from Chelsea too.
I do wonder whether the issue of our attack misfiring goes further than just our strikers is it a mindset through out the team especially midfield ie Pack and Morrell ? I'm not saying they are bad players but are they more defence minded and could be driving our attack a bit more often?
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:33 am

I do wonder whether the issue of our attack misfiring goes further than just our strikers is it a mindset through out the team especially midfield ie Pack and Morrell ? I'm not saying they are bad players but are they more defence minded and could be driving our attack a bit more often?
That's where my mind is - I think Pack plays it too simple too often. I think you need one player doing that and for me Morrell offers more mobility and more movement through the lines, or should.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:41 am

That's where my mind is - I think Pack plays it too simple too often. I think you need one player doing that and for me Morrell offers more mobility and more movement through the lines, or should.
It was noticeable that in the second half Morrell broke their lines to the edge of the area a number of times but he was crowded out as he had no options and I can recall not s single instance apart from corners when anyone apart from Bishop ventured into the area in open play in the second half seemed we had settled for a point once we lost Rafferty

Also surely with corners you leave someone back when attacking and up when defending to recycle or prevent it once cleared I don’t get this put everyone in the box as defending you clear and get the ball straight back at you and attacking you lose the ability to send it back or stop a breakaway
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

The Stevenage supporters near me said similar to most on here - pretty good in defence but not much penetration.

Btw, I was near the press section and noticed Danny Cowley. Anyone listen to his co-commentary? Was surprised to see him there.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:30 pm

It was noticeable that in the second half Morrell broke their lines to the edge of the area a number of times but he was crowded out as he had no options and I can recall not s single instance apart from corners when anyone apart from Bishop ventured into the area in open play in the second half seemed we had settled for a point once we lost Rafferty

Also surely with corners you leave someone back when attacking and up when defending to recycle or prevent it once cleared I don’t get this put everyone in the box as defending you clear and get the ball straight back at you and attacking you lose the ability to send it back or stop a breakaway

This has been a bug bear with me for some time. It seems obvious to me that when you are defending a corner that you leave someone upfield. Usually someone who is useless at defending but also a bit nippy as well. I can understand the center forward helping out as they generally have height but once the ball is cleared it comes straight back. The only defence then is the hope that ball back in is inaccurate or it can be cleared again by the defending team. It does seem rather obvious to me and this policy seems to be intentional to get everyone back, perhaps someone could explain why.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:04 pm

This has been a bug bear with me for some time. It seems obvious to me that when you are defending a corner that you leave someone upfield. Usually someone who is useless at defending but also a bit nippy as well. I can understand the center forward helping out as they generally have height but once the ball is cleared it comes straight back. The only defence then is the hope that ball back in is inaccurate or it can be cleared again by the defending team. It does seem rather obvious to me and this policy seems to be intentional to get everyone back, perhaps someone could explain why.
Every team seems to have done it for a few years now.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:04 pm

I fully agree with you both on this, I don't like bringing everyone back to defend corners - but as requested I'll try and have a go at maybe explaining why you would or wouldn't do it, without going into too much detail.

I think it partly depends on what type of defensive system teams use at set pieces (if it's zonal marking then you generally have more players back, although personally I prefer man marking because it means players have to take responsibility for their man not getting free and scoring). It does seem to have become more common in the pro game to bring everyone back to defend corners - I think partly because it allows you to have a couple of players who can just attack the ball without being involved in marking an opponent or blocking. Sometimes it will depend on what the opposition do at set pieces too, we (and all clubs) will have scouts who detail that so we're well prepared for any particular moves or signals that they have.

Every semi-pro team that I've worked at has made a conscious decision to leave two players upfield at defensive corners (generally someone with pace who will be a threat on the counter attack or can hold the ball up to start a break). It also means that the opposition have to leave three players back and prevents them just recycling any clearances to put it back into the box.

You'd normally leave two players back at attacking corners (three if the opposition leave two up). If the opposition put everyone back to defend your corner, one of those players can go halfway between the halfway line and the opposition penalty area to pick the ball up closer to the box.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:57 am
GreenBlue wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:46 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:54 pmbecause if we aren't up and around it by xmas then JM has to go. In fact I'd be looking for his replacement now.
I appreciate that we all see things differently but, having just achieved our longest unbeaten run in a century and being the only undefeated team in the division, you want to get rid of the manager now? Wow.
Yes we have a solid defence...when did not scoring any goals win you promotion?
You need both to win promotion. Five of the six top scoring teams in the league last year finished in the top six, so it's a valid point that we need to score more. But five of the six teams who conceded the fewest number of goals also finished in the top six.

I'd be very surprised if we'd even consider sacking a manager who has lost 4 of his first 30 games in charge, while we're on a club record unbeaten run and while we're one point off an automatic promotion place.

On the subject of Jonson Clarke-Harris as he's been mentioned a few times on the thread, Peterborough were apparently quoting Championship sides £5m this summer, so I can't see that being within our price range (or him wanting to sign for us when he has those potential options). I don't think it's anything to do with us not being prepared to spend money, more that he just isn't a realistic signing for us unless Peterborough dramatically reduce what they want for him.