Darren Moore

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Darren Moore

Post by Betelgeuse »

How many bore draws? We drew with Cheltenham, have scored 6 goals in 5 league games including 4 in one game. Won 8 out of 23 league games under JM last season, including this season that makes it 10 out of 28 games. Nothing special is it?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:13 pm How many bore draws? We drew with Cheltenham, have scored 6 goals in 5 league games including 4 in one game. Won 8 out of 23 league games under JM last season, including this season that makes it 10 out of 28 games. Nothing special is it?
By the nature of it being the best run in the clubs history it's not special it's unique.

I'd love us to turn up and turn teams over ever week but that just isn't how sport works, and if it did it would be boring.

Plus why does anyone care about the second team in the league cup so much?
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:59 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:30 pm I think DM has a lot more going for him that JM. How cheap was our current manager? And the last one?
Probably should have done better at Wednesday with the money and players they had... £20k a week Micheal Smith...
100% this. I’m not a JM fanboy (far from it) but DM wouldn’t make any material difference with this squad.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:13 pm How many bore draws? We drew with Cheltenham, have scored 6 goals in 5 league games including 4 in one game. Won 8 out of 23 league games under JM last season, including this season that makes it 10 out of 28 games. Nothing special is it?
We have def drawn too many games under JM, something he will be well of. He needs to be braver with formation and team selection.

We know many sides will come to FP with a low block so JM must have a plan to unlock those defence (refer to my previous comment on Stevenage thread as to what I’d be doing).
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:36 pm
By the nature of it being the best run in the clubs history it's not special it's unique.

I'd love us to turn up and turn teams over ever week but that just isn't how sport works, and if it did it would be boring.

We don’t have a second team we are assured we have a competitive squad with 2 players equally equipped to play in every position according to our management team
Also by your measure Peterborough also played their “second team” and managed to get a draw playing 30 minutes with only 10 men
So therefore following that logic their back up players as as good if not better than ours
It will be interesting on Saturday which team has the best “first team” as this realistically is the first game we will have played against a team expected to be challenging for promotion as so far we’ve hardly shined against teams we should expect to beat if we have real promotion credentials
Then comes the real challenge Derby and Barnsley away in the same week
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

My point was that it isn't a record that suggests he should be sacked at the moment. His actual record, so far as I can see (Wikipedia is my source, so it might be wrong), is 13 wins out of 31 games, 14 draws and 4 defeats. Projecting that across a 46 game season would give us 78 points and in all probability a play off place.

Like anything, people on either side of this debate can twist the statistics to say whatever they want to make them say. You're the one who is advocating making a change, and to a manager who doesn't appear on the face of it to be a massive upgrade (and I loved Moore as a player for us).

Of course it was frustrating not to beat Cheltenham. There have definitely been too many draws at home especially (under Cowley as well as Mousinho) and we absolutely need to find a way to break sides down who come to Fratton looking for a point, as Mickemo has already said. But having appointed Mousinho and allowed him (and Hughes) to build a squad this summer, it would be pretty odd to sack him and appoint someone else who would want to do the same thing all over again, before we've even lost a league game.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I think it is far too early to be talking about changing managers. I am not at all impressed with Mousinho at the moment and I think his team is serving up as much boring football as Cowley. I think he got some good players in during the summer, but there was some rather average signings too. The club failed to bring in the type of players we have been missing for years, which was a disappointment to me and many others. We did go for the cheap option when we hired him but he came with good credentials. We have to bear in mind it was a gamble in taking Mousinho on but it is a gamble that may well pay off. Although he has assembled a boring team we will be hard to beat this season in my opinion. We also have to accept that he is learning his trade and he will make mistakes but the penny could drop for him and we suddenly start playing wonderful entertaining winning football. All ifs and buts but that is generally the way with the cheap option gamble. And before anyone reminds me I also accept someone with a proven track record could also turn out to be a losing gamble.

I do really think that if promotion was really the clubs top priority we wouldn't have gambled on a young unproven manager. I don't think our transfer activity screamed 'having a real go' at promotion. One of the reasons we love football is the unpredictability about it and we may well still come good this season.

I don't see this young Chelsea loanee is really a replacement for Lowe or Yengi. I think it is more of an admittance of failure to bring in the sort of players we needed to make us better than last season. We were told that we would not be relying on loan players this season but that is exactly what we are doing.

I don't see us as a top side in the league this coming season, no more than a top ten team. I cling to the hope that Mousinho succeeds in getting the team playing decent winning football. I do see us as hard to beat but without the spark to turn draws into wins. I genuinely hope I am wrong and will be pleasantly surprised but with Mousinho sticking to playing just one up front without the skilled players to make chances I fear another resident season in League One.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I still think JM needs time to get things to click - there's probably loads of little reasons why we're not creating the chances and scoring the goals we need at the moment. Most of the success in elite sport comes down to psychology/confidence - I'm sure that attacking confidence is a bit fragile at the moment, get extra 5% and we'll be a good team with a solid defence and goal threat.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:13 pm

We don’t have a second team we are assured we have a competitive squad with 2 players equally equipped to play in every position according to our management team
Also by your measure Peterborough also played their “second team” and managed to get a draw playing 30 minutes with only 10 men
So therefore following that logic their back up players as as good if not better than ours
It will be interesting on Saturday which team has the best “first team” as this realistically is the first game we will have played against a team expected to be challenging for promotion as so far we’ve hardly shined against teams we should expect to beat if we have real promotion credentials
Having a strong squad is different to having two first teams. You shouldn't expect to make 10/11 changes and be as strong as your first eleven.

Saturday is an entirely different game and what will be will be.

Judging by the table so far, Barnsley and Derby are easier games than Exeter and Stevenage. I'm sure they are seeing their game against us a tough game.

It's not even September yet.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:51 pm I still think JM needs time to get things to click - there's probably loads of little reasons why we're not creating the chances and scoring the goals we need at the moment. Most of the success in elite sport comes down to psychology/confidence - I'm sure that attacking confidence is a bit fragile at the moment, get extra 5% and we'll be a good team with a solid defence and goal threat.
I personally don't think it's as simple as not creating chances - I think we do create a fair few number of chances but our attacking palyers only seem capable of taking the ones out on a plate (one exception being Bishop against Exeter).

I'm not convinced by Bishop so far this season - for whatever reason he seems to be on his heels a lot more this season.
Last edited by Pompey1984+1 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:55 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:13 pm

Having a strong squad is different to having two first teams. You shouldn't expect to make 10/11 changes and be as strong as your first eleven.

Saturday is an entirely different game and what will be will be.

Judging by the table so far, Barnsley and Derby are easier games than Exeter and Stevenage. I'm sure they are seeing their game against us a tough game.

It's not even September yet.
100% agree
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

If it was just this season then I could be prepared to give him the benefit, but we had 23 games under him last season and won 8. But it's the goals scored that's the problem. We scored 3 against Bolton and 4 against Cheltenham last season, other than that it was mainly one or none. We find it incredibly difficult to score goals and that has carried over to this season (other than Orient, which was a good result) but we don't even create many good chances and mostly we don't take the ones we create. He hasn't addressed that main problem. Defence is tight granted but goals win games. As for saying no difference between DM & JM I'm afraid I disagree.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Last night whilst being bored to death we had a discussion at half time with other fans who like us have attended every match this season and we all felt it’s rubbish to suggest we are creating chances and that even the Orient game was not an exception
We are not creating chances and those few we do are rarely converted
I can only comment on what I have seen and quite frankly this current team is no better than that we have had over recent seasons
It seems apart from Poole our recent signings are no better than those replaced it’s in my opinion been a rushed recruitment based on quantity over quality rather than addressing the obvious need to have creative experienced midfield players
All we have so far in that area is Robertson who so far has produced nothing apart from 4 pointless bookings for being petulant
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

I agree we need a decent atacking midfielder. But the recruitment process hasn't been rushed. If you watch the player interviews - particularly early in the window - they all say it's been planned for ages. The targets had been identified for weeks/months. Whether they're the right signings remains to be seen. At the moment the season is going as I expected. The same form as when we left off last season - but hopefully we'll improve.
Super Matt Macey in goal...