England vs Ukraine - Why why why... Maguire?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

England vs Ukraine - Why why why... Maguire?

Post by Sam_Brown »

Why does Maguire start when he's not played well for over two seasons and his only appearance this season for United was as a sub and in a drubbing from Arsenal?

Also maybe I'm being unfair but it looked like he got done for pace down the wing and was partially at fault for todays game?

https://dubz.co/c/402a0c
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: England vs Ukraine - Why why why... Maguire?

Post by eltorrro »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:24 pm

Also maybe I'm being unfair but it looked like he got done for pace down the wing
Yes, I believe you are being very unfair on him. He had nothing to do with their goal, was in the correct position when marking his runner and, I think he had quite a good game. Certainly he didn't have any major bloomers.

Suggest you take another look at that goal and check for certain what part he played in it.

Actually, can't you just accept it was a well worked goal? Yes, it was against the run of play but they soaked up the England attack and countered exceptionally well.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Pretty sure it was Chilwell who got done for pace for the goal. You can definitely argue whether he should be in the side or not, given his club form being somewhere between patchy and non-existent, but his form for England has been relatively solid (though I didn't see the whole game today). Great ball by Kane for the equaliser too.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

PeteM wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:15 pm Pretty sure it was Chilwell who got done for pace for the goal. You can definitely argue whether he should be in the side or not, given his club form being somewhere between patchy and non-existent, but his form for England has been relatively solid (though I didn't see the whole game today). Great ball by Kane for the equaliser too.
Ah you are right. I saw the hair and thought it was Maguire! Old age strikes again. Thanks for clarifying it for an old fart like myself.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I'm so mixed on Southgate and this team. On one hand its tough to argue with results under his tenure ....but on the other hand its an awful lot of dreariness, passing pointlessly around at the back and a lack of urgency to get moving forward,
Lets at least crush the Jocks please.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

We played well at the start of his tenure when he threw caution to the wind and refreshed the squad. Early days he was pretty good at dropping high profile players and putting the “best team” out.

I feel his achievements early days in seeing the team progress and improve in addition to the plaudits he received at the time has caused him to become a lot more cautious and wanting to play it safe for fear of the team going backwards. Problem is he’s now in the same trap many managers face in “not wanting to change a winning formula” which seems to paralyse not just Southgate but the England performances as a whole.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Maguire did nothing wrong and was close to scoring a winner last night. Clearly though, he has to move on from ManU.
The problem was in a team lacking invention and bravery to penetrate the Ukrainian defence. It felt more like one of those tired England performances we see at the end of season instead of the beginning.
None of our midfielders looked like they had an invention about them and we sorely missed the challenging runs that Grealish reliably provides.
I gave up falling for the pre-tournament hype that we get every two years a long time ago and see no reason to get excited about us finally winning something now.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Southgate bores me to tears. I'd get rid of him after the tournament. In fact before probably.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I thought Maguire played OK, although I do feel there is a disaster to happen each time he plays. Having said that I don't think he has let England down and he is very handy at corners at both ends, offensively and defensively.

What I am disappointed about is the approach to games that Southgate now has. I agree with Sam in what he says and that he started off quite attacking but is now more cautious. I think we have the most exciting attacking players we have had for years, certainly within my memory. I just wish players like Sako and Rashford be encouraged to take more chances and take players on because they have the skill to be successful at that. Instead we witness endless passing which generally leads to nothing. We have the best crop of players qualified to play for England yet they seem to be held back.

Yesterday England were clearly the better team but it took the pass of the year, perhaps several years, from our main goal scorer, Kane, to share the points. We should have won that game by some distance.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

He plays it safe, doesn't take risks. Basically he's a loser.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 33 times

Post by StMonkton »

It is a bit frustrating at times that England aren’t a bit more of an attractive side to watch.

Nonetheless you can’t really argue against his record. Just before he took the reins we had lost to Iceland at the Euros.

His World Cup record is the same as Bobby Robson and beaten only by Alf Ramsey.

No England manager ( including Ramsey) has a better Euro record.

Still we moan ; ‘If only he’d been more adventurous’ ‘Should be doing better with this group’.

If it were that simple you’d be guaranteed a job for life if you could put your theories to the test.

Just be glad you’re not supporting Germany ; they lost 4 1 at home to Japan.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

We have a brilliant squad of players, probably the best for a generation, he has to win something.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

More importantly, you can sing why, why, why Maguire to the tune of My, my, my Delilah
Div III. Call it what it is.
Maddog56
Martin Kuhl

Post by Maddog56 »

I too thought Maguire did ok, although in general we were much too slow with our use of the ball. I suspect Southgate is giving every opportunity to Maguire & Henderson before next year’s Euros, but neither are likely starters. Ironically the big winner yesterday was Trent Alexander-Arnold who was injured. The game was crying out for someone who could thread a pass.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 388 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:33 pm He plays it safe, doesn't take risks. Basically he's a loser.
I'm no longer surprised by you calling for the heads of managers are are doing pretty well. I really think you are a bit harsh calling him a loser. What 'winner'would you choose instead? Genuine question.