Scotland v England tomorrow

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Scotland v England tomorrow

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

So called Friendly tomorrow. I worked in Edinburgh for nearly a year after I left school. It was an eye opener, they really are bred to hate the English. I come from a Scottish Family although I was born and bred in Portsmouth. My Father is Scottish (although he lived 84 of his 90 years in Hampshire) My Mother is English and spent her whole life in Hampshire including 90 of her 95 years in Portsmouth. I`ve always supported England,my Brother Scotland (because if my Father asked him to jump he would n`t say "Why", he would ask how high). So coming from this Scottish/English Household I could not understand the attitude of the `Home Grown` Scots in Edinburgh or the whole of Scotland. In 1969 when I was in Edinburgh the two sides met, it was a a late saturday game and I went with some friends from work to watch the match in a local Bar in the centre of the city. England won 4-1 (that score again). The banter in the Bar was good and not at all aggressive. One of my most enjoyable England Football experiences.

It would be nice to have a simialr score tonight but the match is at Hampden and the atmosphere will be very intimidating and probably a single goal might separate the sides (in Englands favour of course)
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Scotland v England tomorrow

Post by blue architect »

I spent five years in Dundee at University, so know well the aggressive rivalry. I got away with my Portsmouth accent to a certain degree as many just thought I was a lovable Cockney, but others found it an invitation to intimidate and threaten me.
By the end of the first year my natural accent became more Scottish, so could blag being from Stirling and get away with it, but when I came home at the end of term I was then branded as a Jock when drinking in Havant.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

On reflection perhaps "Hate" is too stronger a word. Intense dislike is maybe more accurate
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:40 pm On reflection perhaps "Hate" is too stronger a word. Intense dislike is maybe more accurate
No, I think that is the exact word to describe it...and the feeling is totally mutual.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

eltorrro wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:33 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:40 pm On reflection perhaps "Hate" is too stronger a word. Intense dislike is maybe more accurate
No, I think that is the exact word to describe it...and the feeling is totally mutual.
How do the Spanish treat the Ex-Pats.

I spend a couple of months a year in Italy, where I am at the moment. The People here are lovely and are so friendly and kind
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:32 am

I spend a couple of months a year in Italy, where I am at the moment. The People here are lovely and are so friendly and kind
Spanish are OK with ex-pats in general. What they don't like is boozy Brits coming over and being obnoxious (which nobody likes anyway!). Mainly very nice people I've found.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

I have another word to describe it...
.....yawn.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:32 am

Lived in Italy for nearly 5 years had no problems at all with them we were known as the l’Inglese which was fine they love their Calcio I used to watch Perugia when I was there. One of our neighbours was Ravenelli who also played here and for Perugia
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Excellent..the good guys are winning 0-2 ht showing those jocks how it's done!!

Bellingham, Foden and Rashford having fabulous game.

To cap it off Norway beating Georgia so Jocks not going to Euros!! Yippee :mrgreen:
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Who cares about the result when they play 'Yes sir, I can Boogie' at half time :thumb :lol:
Super Matt Macey in goal...
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

NSRailings wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:51 pm Who cares about the result when they play 'Yes sir, I can Boogie' at half time :thumb :lol:
Baccara could be singing it naked in the centre circle and it wouldn't beat the joy of beating the Jocks...
on their home turf as well!!

(Well, perhaps not but a damn close run thing!!)
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:49 pm (Well, perhaps not but a damn close run thing!!)
Exactly, let's keep some perspective :lol:

Congrats to England. Bellingham played some great stuff.
Super Matt Macey in goal...