Two L1 games to keep your eye on this weekend

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Two L1 games to keep your eye on this weekend

Post by Jack_Tinn »

A couple of games in L1 in particular to keep a eye on this weekend:

Oxford (2nd) travel to 3rd place Stevenage - I will be very interested to see how that game plays out with both teams having recruited so well in my view this off-season

Port Vale (4th) are at home to Bolton (7th) - another interesting game to test the strength of Port Vale

If Pompey can get 3pts at Wigan this weekend then these games should help give an interesting insight into the table after 10 games.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times

Re: Two L1 games to keep your eye on this weekend

Post by New Forester »

Any point at Wigan will be a good result.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:43 am A couple of games in L1 in particular to keep a eye on this weekend:

Oxford (2nd) travel to 3rd place Stevenage - I will be very interested to see how that game plays out with both teams having recruited so well in my view this off-season

Port Vale (4th) are at home to Bolton (7th) - another interesting game to test the strength of Port Vale

If Pompey can get 3pts at Wigan this weekend then these games should help give an interesting insight into the table after 10 games.
Let's hope for two draws!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:04 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:43 am A couple of games in L1 in particular to keep a eye on this weekend:

I’d take 3 draws with us away to Wigan
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:57 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:04 pm

I’d take 3 draws with us away to Wigan
:thumb
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Are we wishing for too much? How often does a team hit top spot and holds it all season? I think Plymouth spent a fair time at the top last season but it is unusual to see a team lead the table all season. Perhaps we should pace ourselves.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

02/03 springs to mind 🥳
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:37 pm Are we wishing for too much? How often does a team hit top spot and holds it all season? I think Plymouth spent a fair time at the top last season but it is unusual to see a team lead the table all season. Perhaps we should pace ourselves.
Don’t think hoping for a draw at Wigan is wishing to much
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:00 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:37 pm Are we wishing for too much? How often does a team hit top spot and holds it all season? I think Plymouth spent a fair time at the top last season but it is unusual to see a team lead the table all season. Perhaps we should pace ourselves.

No, I am hoping for a Pompey win, as I do in all games that we play. I was just pointing out that while it's nice to see Pompey at the top of the table it will be much nicer at the end of the season, when it really counts. It is unusual to see a team that is top all the way through a season, so better at the end of the season than now. I would, obviously, like to see us stay top from now until the end of the season but it doesn't usually happen that way.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:44 pm 02/03 springs to mind 🥳
Yes. I think you are right.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:52 pm

No, I am hoping for a Pompey win, as I do in all games that we play. I was just pointing out that while it's nice to see Pompey at the top of the table it will be much nicer at the end of the season, when it really counts. It is unusual to see a team that is top all the way through a season, so better at the end of the season than now. I would, obviously, like to see us stay top from now until the end of the season but it doesn't usually happen that way.
I'd rather have the pts on the board (and therefore be setting the pace that others need to follow) at the start of the season - if your form drops off a little you have built up a comfort zone whereby you can fall back a bit and still find yourself 2nd or 3rd - whereas if you are struggling early the margins for error reduce as the season goes on and the pressure builds on you that way.

Give me the pts for example over games in hand every time
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:51 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:52 pm

I'd rather have the pts on the board (and therefore be setting the pace that others need to follow) at the start of the season - if your form drops off a little you have built up a comfort zone whereby you can fall back a bit and still find yourself 2nd or 3rd - whereas if you are struggling early the margins for error reduce as the season goes on and the pressure builds on you that way.

Give me the pts for example over games in hand every time
I agree with what you say. My preference is, no doubt, the same as yours and I am not suggesting that not being top is a bad thing. I was just pointing out that it is not usual that a team will head the table all season. We were top around this time last season and we fell away badly. However, so far this season it has a different feel about it. We are deservedly winning games whereas we weren't last season.

A look at fans forums of the teams we have played have a different read about them. Last season if we beat a team their supporters would criticise their team for being beaten by Pompey 'that were not all that and very average'. This season the remarks are 'Pompey are a good side and we will play worse than that and win'. Several comments have been about us as being 'sure fire' about us being promoted. So I am happy about being top as long as we can stay there.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

This weekend last season was our trip to Ipswich (my granddaughter pointed this out to me)when we were also unbeaten the difference this season is that we have played teams we expect to be challenging for promotion and in most games winning on merit
Last season our early results were achieved against teams we expect to beat until Ipswich and many were unconvincing and often against the the run of the game
Also this season we are seeing players like Lane and Robertson growing in stature (figuratively) as the season progresses we couldn’t say that about anyone at this point last season