Wycombe

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Wycombe

Post by NSRailings »

That was a tough game. But determination and massive team spirit got the win. Am sure JM and co learned a few things from it regarding tactics and team selection. Got to credit Wycombe for nullifying our threats and changes. But huge credit to the squad and coaches for the spirit and play they've built so far.

Have to say something about the crowd though. Be more positive. Doubt creeps into some supporters too easily when play isn't going our way over a period of time. There are times when we need to be more supportive and not go quiet.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I thought we played well against a good Team. We had 14 corners, the last one was decisive!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:35 pm That was a tough game. But determination and massive team spirit got the win. Am sure JM and co learned a few things from it regarding tactics and team selection. Got to credit Wycombe for nullifying our threats and changes. But huge credit to the squad and coaches for the spirit and play they've built so far.

Have to say something about the crowd though. Be more positive. Doubt creeps into some supporters too easily when play isn't going our way over a period of time. There are times when we need to be more supportive and not go quiet.
I didn’t see any real negativity where we were in the Fratton End I sense that there is something about this team that is endearing themselves to the fans in that they are never giving up and playing to the end every game it’s getting an habit winning 2-1 coming from behind
It was interesting to see Norris when we scored the winner he was up in front of us celebrating with the other players
I would say that Saydee made a difference and that Anjorin was disappointing again a player who the fans have taken to and who seems to understand that
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Just noticed on the match report that both Poole and Robertson being booked means a suspension on Saturday which will be interesting to see who replaces them
I would guess Raggett and Pack if fit
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:53 pm
NSRailings wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:35 pm That was a tough game. But determination and massive team spirit got the win. Am sure JM and co learned a few things from it regarding tactics and team selection. Got to credit Wycombe for nullifying our threats and changes. But huge credit to the squad and coaches for the spirit and play they've built so far.

I didn’t see any real negativity where we were in the Fratton End I sense that there is something about this team that is endearing themselves to the fans in that they are never giving up and playing to the end every game it’s getting an habit winning 2-1 coming from behind
It was interesting to see Norris when we scored the winner he was up in front of us celebrating with the other players
I would say that Saydee made a difference and that Anjorin was disappointing again a player who the fans have taken to and who seems to understand that
I think it was Morrell who wanted the crowd to give more late in the game because the atmosphere had dropped.

But roll on Saturday!
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

The players look very fit this season, that combined with squad depth can only be a good thing given the amount of time being added on equates to a number of extra games over the course of the season.

When you think of the players as still have our injured, and the fact we have the likes of Tino still getting upto speed I think this side can get better still.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Wow what a result that keeps us where we want to be at the top I loved this comment on the Wanderers forum who thought their side deserved a draw but this quote filled me with joy. Especially if it has the same outcome Promotion

“ Pompey look absolutely brilliant. Remind me a lot of Ipswich last season”
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I can't believe I didn't expect the winner. I should have learned my lesson by now ;-)
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I thought that Saydee was terrific when he came on and that he changed the game. He really put himself about and got under their skin!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:23 am I thought that Saydee was terrific when he came on and that he changed the game. He really put himself about and got under their skin!
I agree, I think he will start on saturday
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Wouldn`t we all love to score a goal in front of the Fratton End on a vibrant evening Match. The joy on the Pompey Players faces said it all and Norris sprinting the length of the pitch to join in the celebrations. Togetherness as a Team , we have not seen this for a while!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:31 am Wow what a result that keeps us where we want to be at the top I loved this comment on the Wanderers forum who thought their side deserved a draw but this quote filled me with joy. Especially if it has the same outcome Promotion

“ Pompey look absolutely brilliant. Remind me a lot of Ipswich last season”
Yes I also saw that quote too. Another said that the crowd was "No less than magnificent and worth a goal". Actually I thought the crowd were a bit flat at times, seemingly thinking in unison '******, there goes our unbeaten run". On the Wigan site a poster said that Pompey reminded him of their promotion team. 'Nothing or no one spectacular just very very good'.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I thought that we just about deserved to win but I did think Wycombe were going to hold on as I don't think we created too many clear cut chances. I think Wycombe defended well and look a good side. Playing against a well organised side, like Wycombe, is problematical when playing with just one striker, especially when chances are not being created from midfield. It did change noticeably when Saydee came on and added more menace to our forward line. Even though he is really raw and not blessed with the greatest skill he still worried the Wycombe defence.

Three players stood out for me last night and two of them were player recruits that I criticised. I didn't see the signing of Sparkes as a good full back addition. He worries me playing in that position defensively but last night I thought he turned in a near man of the match performance and I don't think he done anything wrong in his defending duties. Going forward he is a very useful player and put in some brilliant crosses. Another was Shaughnessy, who I see a very much an average League One player. Last night I thought he was impressive and another near man of the match player. What I found impressive was not only his goal but his defensive headers were generally to a team mate rather than just a defensive clearance. My man of the match was Colby, and not just for his goal. His all round play of holding the line and brining in other players was, in my opinion, text book center forwarding.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Hands up all those who missed our winning goal last night. Also hands up all those who would have thought our winning goal should have stood if had been scored against Pompey.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

The goal was one of those that you if you concede it it’s a foul if you score it it’s not
Anyway their own fault 8 minutes added due to their usual time wasting guess they might learn that this season it’s not going to work