Wycombe

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Wycombe

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:22 pm The goal was one of those that you if you concede it it’s a foul if you score it it’s not
Anyway their own fault 8 minutes added due to their usual time wasting guess they might learn that this season it’s not going to work
OK, I was asking people if they thought the goal was legitimate, or not, irrespective of which team you support. Looking at the incident from a neutral position.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

I've watched it back four or five times now, and I genuinely don't think it's a foul - he jumped early and got up above the keeper. But I guess quite often those type of goals are ruled out for the incidental contact between the two players, so credit to the referee for allowing it to stand.

One of the things I've been impressed with this season is the amount of patience that we've shown to break teams down. I'd probably prefer us not to wait until the 98th minute to do it, but it's a good trait to have!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

PeteM wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:53 pm I've watched it back four or five times now, and I genuinely don't think it's a foul - he jumped early and got up above the keeper. But I guess quite often those type of goals are ruled out for the incidental contact between the two players, so credit to the referee for allowing it to stand.

One of the things I've been impressed with this season is the amount of patience that we've shown to break teams down. I'd probably prefer us not to wait until the 98th minute to do it, but it's a good trait to have!

Interestingly Wycombe supporters were mostly saying that it wasn't a foul last night and blamed their keeper. There were a few that disagreed and saw a 'blatant' foul on their keeper and the referee being swayed by the big home crowd. They have posted a couple of pictures on their fans forum site taken from another angle which appears to show Shaughnessy's arm in the keepers face. Personally I saw it the same way as you did with Shaughnessy running towards goal in anticipation of making contact and was airborne before the keeper made his move, therefore no foul in my opinion.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:46 pm Hands up all those who missed our winning goal last night. Also hands up all those who would have thought our winning goal should have stood if had been scored against Pompey.
Can’t do the first as surely no matter what the result you stay to applaud the efforts of the team after the final whistle only reason to leave early is a fire drill as seen at many of our opponents grounds recently
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:16 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:46 pm Hands up all those who missed our winning goal last night. Also hands up all those who would have thought our winning goal should have stood if had been scored against Pompey.
Can’t do the first as surely no matter what the result you stay to applaud the efforts of the team after the final whistle only reason to leave early is a fire drill as seen at many of our opponents grounds recently

I waited until the eighth minute of injury time, according to my phone, watched a fruitless corner and decided it was fire drill time. As I got to the Wycombe end outside the ground the cheer went up, which we assumed was a Wycombe goal as it wasn't as loud as you would expect for a home goal, and the noise came from the away end. Obviously I was delighted to find it was a Pompey goal so I have been punished by the football god for leaving before the final whistle, as were many others I might add. I had to watch the winning goal on Sky, that will learn me.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:00 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:16 pm

I waited until the eighth minute of injury time, according to my phone, watched a fruitless corner and decided it was fire drill time. As I got to the Wycombe end outside the ground the cheer went up, which we assumed was a Wycombe goal as it wasn't as loud as you would expect for a home goal, and the noise came from the away end. Obviously I was delighted to find it was a Pompey goal so I have been punished by the football god for leaving before the final whistle, as were many others I might add. I had to watch the winning goal on Sky, that will learn me.
Schoolboy error :-)
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

It wasn't a foul on the keeper. If it was, might aswell get rid of corners.