Eric Cantona

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Charente
Paul Merson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Eric Cantona

Post by Charente »

Eric Cantona has been filming in our small French town, refusing to do press interviews, but spending quite a bit of time chatting to locals with the obligatory selfies. Anyway, it got me thinking whether he ever played against Pompey?
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Eric Cantona

Post by PeteM »

He did indeed. League Cup quarter final in 1993/94.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

PeteM wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:02 pm He did indeed. League Cup quarter final in 1993/94.
And he bl**dy scored as I recall when we drew 2-2 at Old Trafford with Walsh getting our goals then lost the replay 1-0 at Fratton with McClair getting their winner
At Old Trafford we packed the away standing terrace taking great enjoyment from suggesting they were all on the dole
Hamburg Skate
Paul Merson

Post by Hamburg Skate »

I remember they screened that game down the guildhall. Great Atmosphere.
Brexit....Voted for it...Sorry i was wrong.
Charente
Paul Merson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Charente »

Thanks for reminding me. Cannot believe it is thirty years ago!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:03 pm
PeteM wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:02 pm He did indeed. League Cup quarter final in 1993/94.
And he bl**dy scored as I recall when we drew 2-2 at Old Trafford with Walsh getting our goals then lost the replay 1-0 at Fratton with McClair getting their winner
At Old Trafford we packed the away standing terrace taking great enjoyment from suggesting they were all on the dole
I was at that game as well and I seem to remember that we were a bit unfortunate with a good goal being ruled out. I also remember the Pompey fans taking the rise out of a United chant about Cantona. They used to chant, as a reference of him being French (as in ooh la la), "ooh ahh Cantona" and we in turn chanted "ooh ahh Walsh". It was funny at the time.
Ghengis Jones
Robbie Pethick

Post by Ghengis Jones »

Can't remember who it was but it was during the silly upturned collar phase and somebody marking him at corners was turning it down for him in a fussy mother fashion.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:08 pm
I was at that game as well and I seem to remember that we were a bit unfortunate with a good goal being ruled out. I also remember the Pompey fans taking the rise out of a United chant about Cantona. They used to chant, as a reference of him being French (as in ooh la la), "ooh ahh Cantona" and we in turn chanted "ooh ahh Walsh". It was funny at the time.
Wasn't a goal disallowed Walter, it was a blatant penalty not given. Paul Parker chopped off one of ours @ the knee. As blatant as anything.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

pompeygunner wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:56 am
Wasn't a goal disallowed Walter, it was a blatant penalty not given. Paul Parker chopped off one of ours @ the knee. As blatant as anything.
That's it, I remember now. I knew there was some sort of controversy in an incident that went against Pompey. As I remember it we more than held our own in that match.

I have been to quite a few games at Old Trafford, including several games involving Pompey,, and usually come away feeling cheated. Although our cup win there on the run up to our winning the FA Cup was actually daylight robbery.
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

When I think of that game, I get a mental picture of Daryl Powell running the game. And I'm not sure it was only one penalty we were robbed of.
Ghengis Jones
Robbie Pethick

Post by Ghengis Jones »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:38 am
pompeygunner wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:56 am

That's it, I remember now. I knew there was some sort of controversy in an incident that went against Pompey. As I remember it we more than held our own in that match.

I have been to quite a few games at Old Trafford, including several games involving Pompey,, and usually come away feeling cheated. Although our cup win there on the run up to our winning the FA Cup was actually daylight robbery.
It was Macca that was wiped out by Paul Parker. To top it off, the coach that I was on managed to break down in the carpark at Old Traffird so it was a very late return home.