O/T: Some serious news

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

O/T: Some serious news

Post by RubiconCSL »

Some poor chap down the other end of the M27 has far too much time on his hands.

Saints fan makes bid to change colour of Southampton bridge lights red - instead of Pompey blue

He does look angry, doesn't he?

silly_scummer.jpg
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/polit ... ue-4359520

Interestingly, categorized under "News -> Politics". I agree actually; how dare they use our esteemed blue in such a dull and dingy hole, in a feeble attempt to improve the place!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: O/T: Some serious news

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

its absolutely hilarious that they keep bringing this up, been up for a year.
they have had it explained that they cant have red because of the flight path and the boats, would be too confusing for both, guess they dont understand the concept of cant have it and will just keep on asking :thumb
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

It was hilarious watching them on the news the special court they addressed had blue decor and chairs and the guy presiding over proceedings was wearing blue
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Look at the state of him - thick as ****** and 100% gammon.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:06 pm It was hilarious watching them on the news the special court they addressed had blue decor and chairs and the guy presiding over proceedings was wearing blue
you couldnt write it could you
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

This sad muppet scummer was on the bbc 6pm evening news crying about it. What a waste of time, money and effort put in by the bbc with the licence payers money. Why doesn’t he just accept blue is always more powerful than red, always was, always will be.
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Maybe they could meet him half way and have blue lights at the top, white in the middle and red at the bottom. Seems a fair compromise to me 😁
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

just turn the lights out. There is nothing to see in Southampton anyway
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Would I be out of step to remind ourselves that there complaints about the Spinnaker Tower? Originally it lit up with red lights but after complaints it was changed to gold.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:48 pm Would I be out of step to remind ourselves that there complaints about the Spinnaker Tower? Originally it lit up with red lights but after complaints it was changed to gold.
It was not lights but a proposal by the then Tory Council to paint it red and white as that is the Emirates colours the sponsors
Our complaints came when proposed not 11 years after as is the case here
They had to waste 100 litres of red paint
Anyway they can’t use red lights on the bridge because it’s in a boating area and they use red to indicate obstacles also it’s on the Airport flight path and the don’t want planes landing on it
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:58 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:48 pm Would I be out of step to remind ourselves that there complaints about the Spinnaker Tower? Originally it lit up with red lights but after complaints it was changed to gold.
It was not lights but a proposal by the then Tory Council to paint it red and white as that is the Emirates colours the sponsors
Anyway they can’t use red lights on the bridge because it’s in a boating area and they use red to indicate obstacles also it’s on the Airport flight path and the don’t want planes landing on it

Yes that's right it was paint not lights and I stand corrected. Nevertheless it was still a complaint about the colour being Southampton's colours which caused a stir. I understand the situation concerning the lights in the Southampton case not being able to be red because of the navigational aspect. The complaint is still the same type in both Southampton and Portsmouth instances at not wanting a rivals colour adorning a local landmark.

I agree that in the Southampton case the disagreement is a bit silly, especially once the reasons are explained the argument becomes futile. I just think that poking fun at those in the West of us is a little bit 'pot calling the kettle black' when a similar thing happened here.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:39 pm

Yes that's right it was paint not lights and I stand corrected. Nevertheless it was still a complaint about the colour being Southampton's colours which caused a stir. I understand the situation concerning the lights in the Southampton case not being able to be red because of the navigational aspect. The complaint is still the same type in both Southampton and Portsmouth instances at not wanting a rivals colour adorning a local landmark.

I agree that in the Southampton case the disagreement is a bit silly, especially once the reasons are explained the argument becomes futile. I just think that poking fun at those in the West of us is a little bit 'pot calling the kettle black' when a similar thing happened here.
I think it's more of a case that the Tower is a landmark/attraction that's a reason people come to Portsmouth to see and visit. It's there to enhance the city and represent it in a way. Nobody visits Southampton to see the Itchen Bridge.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:38 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:39 pm

I think it's more of a case that the Tower is a landmark/attraction that's a reason people come to Portsmouth to see and visit. It's there to enhance the city and represent it in a way. Nobody visits Southampton to see the Itchen Bridge.
I might now just to see the blue lights