Team v Reading

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Team v Reading

Post by jam tomorrow »

Anjorin takes over from Kamara Devlin league debut
Norris
Rafferty, Poole, Shaughnessy, Sparkes
Morrell, Robertson
Lane, Devlin, Anjorin
Bishop

Subs
Schofield, Raggett, Whyte, Yengi, Swanson, Saydee, Kamara
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 226 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Team v Reading

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Interesting selection, no Stevenson on the bench many thought he would start. Who will play Left Wing Anjorin or Devlin, maybe Lane?
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

I'm very pleased for Devlin. I like his energy. He'll likely score on his debut.

Stevenson is a bit of a mystery. Maybe he is injured or Mousinho wants more attacking midfield options.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Just as Anjorin scored I was about to write how poor he has been for us. Sorry to say I haven't changed my mind. Yes, he took his goal well but the rest of his game is pretty poor and he is sooo lethargic in his attitude. I am certain Saydee would be a vast improvement if he were brought on. What has happened to our defence?? They have been torn apart several times and just don't look confident.

Think Mous might change things at HT...hope so.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by phat_chris »

2-2 before half time with Bishop scoring in 9 minutes of added on time.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by phat_chris »

2-3 Devlin scores!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Win 3-2 Final score
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Great result but can’t understand why we have poor lapses in our defence and we have to come from behind?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Great mentality to come from 2 behind but it would be nice to win a game easily without needing to battle it out.

Reading the Oxford forums they are convinced we have the ref in our pocket with the amount of mate goals and extra time we get. Caught some of the Oxford game and hard not to feel sorry for them their ref had an absolute shocker.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by NSRailings »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:30 pm Great result but can’t understand why we have poor lapses in our defence and we have to come from behind?
Maybe it's the balance of the squad - we could either park the bus or attack and there's not an inbetween. Anyway, I wasn't able to keep up with the match but I think it's a very, very good win and shows real character and passion from the majority of the players.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

For me, what was most impressive was that we were able to ring the squad changes - for example, teenager Devlin's first full game and he scores. The experienced Kamara and Saydee coming on as substitutes. We would never have managed that last season.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Milton End wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:59 pm For me, what was most impressive was that we were able to ring the squad changes - for example, teenager Devlin's first full game and he scores. The experienced Kamara and Saydee coming on as substitutes. We would never have managed that last season.
Unfortunately the substitutions did not work Saydee was appalling, Kamara couldn`t get into it as a Right Winger. Whyte was a little better but not a lot. We made it un-necessarily difficult for ourselves in the final 15 minutes plus add on time
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I have to confes that before this game I thought, just a gut feeling, that it would be the game that we lose our unbeaten record. When we were two down two down I started to think that my gut feeling was right. Normally when I turn the radio on for the match commentary the opposition scores. I am so glad 'gut feelings' can't be relied on and when I turn the radio on it doesn't mean we let one in. That's because when I did turn the radio on for the half time waffle it coincided with us equalising.

I suppose you could say that true champions don't give up and always believe they can overcome adversity. Whether or not this is the case today or Reading were just so poor I don't know. Nevertheless, things are looking bright for us at almost the quarter way mark. I must also confess that I thought too many changes to the starting line up was a mistake.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:13 pm
Milton End wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:59 pm For me, what was most impressive was that we were able to ring the squad changes - for example, teenager Devlin's first full game and he scores. The experienced Kamara and Saydee coming on as substitutes. We would never have managed that last season.
Unfortunately the substitutions did not work Saydee was appalling, Kamara couldn`t get into it as a Right Winger. Whyte was a little better but not a lot. We made it un-necessarily difficult for ourselves in the final 15 minutes plus add on time
Thanks - your view did not really come across in the BBC Radio commentary. But that does not mean that you're wrong.

Certainly, it seemed that we had some obvious defensive lapses during the first half of the game - not really the fault of Kamara or Saydee.

Overall, it was my impression that Norris kept us in the game towards the end. Not quite sure why we had these defensive problems: maybe someone at the game can explain?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:26 pm I have to confes that before this game I thought, just a gut feeling, that it would be the game that we lose our unbeaten record. When we were two down two down I started to think that my gut feeling was right. Normally when I turn the radio on for the match commentary the opposition scores. I am so glad 'gut feelings' can't be relied on and when I turn the radio on it doesn't mean we let one in. That's because when I did turn the radio on for the half time waffle it coincided with us equalising.

I suppose you could say that true champions don't give up and always believe they can overcome adversity. Whether or not this is the case today or Reading were just so poor I don't know. Nevertheless, things are looking bright for us at almost the quarter way mark. I must also confess that I thought too many changes to the starting line up was a mistake.
I think it's a real test of the squad depth from this point of the season. We've had a great start and there are obviously players who want to succeed with us. But maybe there are a few who aren't up to it and need a kick up the arris to realise that if you want top win things you have to work at it.