MOTD Top 10s

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

MOTD Top 10s

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Anyone else a fan of these?

Shall we start a weekly Pompey related top 10?
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: MOTD Top 10s

Post by PeteM »

I am a fan of these (and The Rest Is Football podcast with Shearer, Richards and Lineker).

I'm up for that - what do you reckon for the first one?!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I have watched this but I am afraid I get totally turned off by the manufactured manical laughing at the 'in jokes'. It reminds me of being a bit like the sketches in the Katherine Tate show where they fall over laughing at unfunny situations. It is a bit of a shame really because I do like listening to all three of them individually, it's just the ridiculous 'in jokes' laughing that puts me off.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

I've not watched the TV version, tend to listen to them as podcasts when I'm driving somewhere (normally for football!)

How about Top 10 Pompey Unsung Heroes for the first one?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

PeteM wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:34 pm I've not watched the TV version, tend to listen to them as podcasts when I'm driving somewhere (normally for football!)

How about Top 10 Pompey Unsung Heroes for the first one?
Yep - that's a good one!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

How about Gordon Neave? He was with the club for a very long time in several different roles in a couple of stints with Pompey. Older supporters will remember him as the trainer who would run on to the pitch to treat an injured player. Part of his equipment would be a football bladder cut in half, in fact that was his only medical equipment. I can still see him running on to the pitch carrying the magic cold water in the bladder which was dripping out with each stride he made. By the time he got to the player there wasn't much magic cold water left. After an in depth analysis of the players injury he would throw the cold water over the players injured part and told the player to get up and get on with the game. He would then run back to the dug out and, no doubt, replenish the bladder with more magic water, presumably from a tap in the bogs.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Richard Hughes for me.

Never seemed to be in favour with management but whenever he played I always thought he played well.

Just checked and only played 131 games in almost a decade.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I know he wouldn't normally be considered an 'unsung' hero, as he is right up there with the Pompey greats but, I don't think many outside of Pompey really knew how good Linvoy was. In my opinion his work actually made Sol look better than he was yet Campbell took all the national and international plaudits. We all loved Linvoy, but I think he was hugely underrated and, I believe, should have won some England caps.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:26 pm Richard Hughes for me.

Never seemed to be in favour with management but whenever he played I always thought he played well.

I could well be wrong and, if so, someone please correct me but wasn't he one of the players who was holding out for more money from the club when we went into administration? I seem to remember that we had about three players who we couldn't play because their agreement invoked a payment clause with any more games pkayed for the club. The club had asked the players to defer or agree to renounce the payments to help the club out. Most players did but three players held out for full payment.

I have done all this from memory without looking any facts up so I could be wrong about this. As I have said if anyone know differently please put me right, but I do know he wasn't prepared to rescind the part of his contract that gave him a new contract and more money. The only way the club could afford to deal with the issue was to carry on paying the player until his contract was up or he signed for another club. The player himself decided to stay at the club and not play while still drawing his wages. The club on the other hand had to accept the position and pay him but not select him to play as if they did they would have to honour the original agreement. Apparently there were several other players in the same position but they agreed to mutually rescind the extra contract and money.

For this reason, whether or not Hughes was right or wrong in his stance, I don't see him as an unsung hero.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

I always thought Hughes was average with the occassional good game.

How about Ray Daniel? I think he stepped up after we sold Beresford and was just as good at least.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Deon Burton. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves, goal to keep us up first time round - some big goals in our promotion season.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

ffs he’s the player who because a next appearance would trigger an improved contract preferred to sit on his **** for half a season not playing but getting paid rather than accept playing for the same wages he in my opinion deserves nothing but contempt
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:05 pm

I could well be wrong and, if so, someone please correct me but wasn't he one of the players who was holding out for more money from the club when we went into administration? I seem to remember that we had about three players who we couldn't play because their agreement invoked a payment clause with any more games pkayed for the club. The club had asked the players to defer or agree to renounce the payments to help the club out. Most players did but three players held out for full payment.

I have done all this from memory without looking any facts up so I could be wrong about this. As I have said if anyone know differently please put me right, but I do know he wasn't prepared to rescind the part of his contract that gave him a new contract and more money. The only way the club could afford to deal with the issue was to carry on paying the player until his contract was up or he signed for another club. The player himself decided to stay at the club and not play while still drawing his wages. The club on the other hand had to accept the position and pay him but not select him to play as if they did they would have to honour the original agreement. Apparently there were several other players in the same position but they agreed to mutually rescind the extra contract and money.

For this reason, whether or not Hughes was right or wrong in his stance, I don't see him as an unsung hero.
You are absolutely correct he is no way an unsung hero he was the exact opposite
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:24 pm Deon Burton. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves, goal to keep us up first time round - some big goals in our promotion season.
I agree a totally an under estimated player
I remember his goal at Bradford in the original great escape and my daughter got one of his boots after the game when the players stood on the portacabin changing rooms after the game
Most of our players pretty much ended up with no kit
I also recall Bradfords idea of a seating area was wooden benches in the away end
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:24 pm Deon Burton. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves, goal to keep us up first time round - some big goals in our promotion season.
I agree he done well for us and scored crucial goals. I believe he started his career with Pompey and came back on loan to help the club out, certainly worth inclusion.