MOTD Top 10s

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: MOTD Top 10s

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:06 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:24 pm Deon Burton. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves, goal to keep us up first time round - some big goals in our promotion season.
I agree a totally an under estimated player
I remember his goal at Bradford in the original great escape and my daughter got one of his boots after the game when the players stood on the portacabin changing rooms after the game
Most of our players pretty much ended up with no kit
I also recall Bradfords idea of a seating area was wooden benches in the away end
Huddersfield that goal.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:24 pm Deon Burton. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves, goal to keep us up first time round - some big goals in our promotion season.
I remember his goal at Bradford in the original great escape and my daughter got one of his boots after the game when the players stood on the portacabin changing rooms after the game
I also recall Bradfords idea of a seating area was wooden benches in the away end
I am sorry to correct you here I was there on 3rd May 1998 to watch us win 3-1 Deon Burton did not play that day. The goals were scored by Sammy Igoe and Johnny Lager (2). We sold him the season before for £1 million to Jim Smith`s Derby County
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Shows I am getting old mixing the 2 games up and I wasn't drinking at either as I was driving to games then
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:22 pm
Huddersfield that goal.
That's what happens when you get older you mix up last day drama was at both Bradford and Huddersfield with my then teenage daughter and I can't blame drink as I was driving to games then
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:57 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:22 pm
Huddersfield that goal.
That's what happens when you get older you mix up last day drama was at both Bradford and Huddersfield with my then teenage daughter and I can't blame drink as I was driving to games then
I was at both of those games as a kid.

I also remember going to Bradford last game of the season we got promoted with the Festa boots - as we drove into to Bradford off the motorway there were Pompey fans outside every pub waiting for them to be open. We went for a pint in one where the landlord opened early and asked some Pompey fans to work the bar.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

NSRailings wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:16 pm I always thought Hughes was average with the occassional good game.

How about Ray Daniel? I think he stepped up after we sold Beresford and was just as good at least.
Great shout about Ray Daniel, he was absolutely brilliant that season we almost got promoted (think it was 92/93).

Also agree about Linvoy, as someone else has already commented.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I agree that Linvoy Primus is very much worthy of the respect he is given. I read his book and I found it a fascinating insight into the life of the man with all its twists and turns of his life. It's fascinating how religion can affect people and take over their lives, and it certainly turned Linvoy's life round. I have a huge amount of respect for him as a man and a player, who wasn't a naturally gifted player. He put in an enormous amount to get into the team and stay there with hard work and true grit.

However. Linvoy Primus is already at hero status amongst the Pompey fan base as well as outside that circle. That being so, in my opinion, does not qualify as an 'unsung hero' because he already is a well recognised one.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Shaka Hislop - I think he gets overlooked just how good he was for us.