League One Team of the Month

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

League One Team of the Month

Post by Blue Walter »

I note that we have only got one player, Colby Bishop, in the September team of the Month. I know it is a bit old hat now at the end of October but I was a bit surprised to see that we only had one player. Oxford & Wycombe had three each, which mirrors their success, but I don't think any team surpassed our success of that month. I would have thought it would be a hard choice to name a better central defence pairing than Regan & Shaughnessy or a better right back than Rafferty.

It will be interesting to see who makes the October team of the month. I would be surprised if we didn't at least get 4 placings, either that or we are not as good as we think we are.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: League One Team of the Month

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:12 pm I note that we have only got one player, Colby Bishop, in the September team of the Month. I know it is a bit old hat now at the end of October but I was a bit surprised to see that we only had one player. Oxford & Wycombe had three each, which mirrors their success, but I don't think any team surpassed our success of that month. I would have thought it would be a hard choice to name a better central defence pairing than Regan & Shaughnessy or a better right back than Rafferty.

It will be interesting to see who makes the October team of the month. I would be surprised if we didn't at least get 4 placings, either that or we are not as good as we think we are.
or we are better as a team than some of the other teams, whilst we have very good individual players the team is what got us to the top
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:14 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:12 pm I note that we have only got one player, Colby Bishop, in the September team of the Month. I know it is a bit old hat now at the end of October but I was a bit surprised to see that we only had one player. Oxford & Wycombe had three each, which mirrors their success, but I don't think any team surpassed our success of that month. I would have thought it would be a hard choice to name a better central defence pairing than Regan & Shaughnessy or a better right back than Rafferty.

or we are better as a team than some of the other teams, whilst we have very good individual players the team is what got us to the top

Yes, obviously we are better as a team because we are top of the pile. Wycombe, who had three players in the ToM are a fair way behind us in the real table. I was talking of individual players performances, as this is what the ToM is an indicator of. Like I say I am surprised that more of our players were not in this team as their performances have got us where we are now.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Maybe a average player in a poor team stands out more than a good player in a good team therefore their rating is inflated, what would be more interesting will be the end of season PFA. awards when players are judged by their peers and not done by a random subjective rating system
Anyway it's the teams position that matters and we are top
Also if Wycombe and Oxford stood players stood out how come Moushino got September manager of the month
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:53 pm Maybe a average player in a poor team stands out more than a good player in a good team therefore their rating is inflated, what would be more interesting will be the end of season PFA. awards when players are judged by their peers and not done by a random subjective rating system
Anyway it's the teams position that matters and we are top
Also if Wycombe and Oxford stood players stood out how come Moushino got September manager of the month
I am not making any sort of argument out of this ToM and I agree with much of what you say. The end of season team is selected the same way as the monthly version except, obviously, over a longer length of time. I do accept it is a team game and our team, collectively, are performing as the real time table shows. All I was saying is that I am surprised more Portsmouth players were not recognised by their performances better.

What helps in making a good team is good players working as a team. This is what is happening with our team but I don't think it is being recognised with this monthly index of player achievement.