Chesterfield

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Chesterfield

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:51 pm Then there was that close up on the camera of Mousinho & Cook having a little chat and sharing a laugh. I assume they wanted to win by the fact a strong team was fielded but it looked to me that they weren't that bothered about losing.
In the grand scheme of things probably not and it was a good thing to see I think.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Matterface mentioned that Mousinho wants to improve the attack in January, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I suppose we will see how capable Mousinho and the team deal with this set back. After so long without losing it is going to be interesting how they collectively react. I am disappointed, as I am sure many on here are, but I think the first league defeat is going to hurt like hell. Some people may see it as a distraction from the main task removed but I am sure most people, as well as the players, would have wanted to have been in the draw this afternoon. It was just a matter how much they wanted a cup run.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:36 pm I suppose we will see how capable Mousinho and the team deal with this set back. After so long without losing it is going to be interesting how they collectively react. I am disappointed, as I am sure many on here are, but I think the first league defeat is going to hurt like hell. Some people may see it as a distraction from the main task removed but I am sure most people, as well as the players, would have wanted to have been in the draw this afternoon. It was just a matter how much they wanted a cup run.
We lost in league cup.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:37 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:36 pm I suppose we will see how capable Mousinho and the team deal with this set back. After so long without losing it is going to be interesting how they collectively react. I am disappointed, as I am sure many on here are, but I think the first league defeat is going to hurt like hell. Some people may see it as a distraction from the main task removed but I am sure most people, as well as the players, would have wanted to have been in the draw this afternoon. It was just a matter how much they wanted a cup run.
We lost in league cup.

Yes, that's right, on penalties. It was still a loss though but it wasn't featuring our first team. Today was probably the strongest side we had available, which would suggest that the club took the FA Cup more seriously. So this is the first time the best representative side of Portsmouth has been beaten and it remains to be seen what affect it has on the league side.

I think Mousinho was out thought today by a far more experienced operator and I hope he adds this lesson to his learning curve. I think January's window will be extremely important to our ambitions for this season. Some of the players brought in are not up to standard, while some have been brilliant it has to be said. Nevertheless the squad is weak in some areas and unless the right players come in the lack in quality in some areas will come back to haunt us.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

As soon as I saw we were on TV I knew we'd play crap. We always do.

Woeful performance and well played to Chesterfield and Cook who obviously have a well set up team. No complaints. We were going to lose at some point. I'd rather it be in the FA Cup than the league but it's all about how the team bonces back. Under previous managers a first loss after a decent run has always been followed by a couple of months of absolute *****.

Here's hoping Mousinho can get motivate the team and not let this loss affect us but I'm more worried about todays performance than anything. Today has just exposed what we already know. We can't break down teams who are well organised defensively. I know we've been promised some movement in the transfer window but it's a long time between now and then and we can't take our foot off the gas because other teams around us will punish us.

Would love to see a decent performance in the next league game to calm my nerves now but being a Pompey fan is never so simple.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Analysing the match a bit more as someone has mentioned here most of our goals have come from Sparkes crosses. So Cookie made sure he was closed down early and when he went off injured that was that. Our crosses were abysmal We couldn’t break down their defence we were done for. Need pacey players to improve our attack come Jan
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:33 pm As soon as I saw we were on TV I knew we'd play crap. We always do.
I agree with the rest of your post but the TV thing isn't true and is rolled out everytime by some Pompey fans. We beat Hereford on TV last year for starters.

Some of the new players aren't up to it. Kamara is starting to remind me of Hackett. Some ability is there but he's too laid back. It's an important part of the season and all players need to step up when given the chance.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:47 pm Analysing the match a bit more as someone has mentioned here most of our goals have come from Sparkes crosses. So Cookie made sure he was closed down early and when he went off injured that was that. Our crosses were abysmal We couldn’t break down their defence we were done for. Need pacey players to improve our attack come Jan
We definitely need more pace. Lee Dixon pointed out how obvious it was that the ball needs to be given to Sparkes as much as possible - his crossing ability is that good. And then you'd better be in the box as it's coming into a dangerous area asap.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

NSRailings wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:09 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:33 pm As soon as I saw we were on TV I knew we'd play crap. We always do.
I agree with the rest of your post but the TV thing isn't true and is rolled out everytime by some Pompey fans. We beat Hereford on TV last year for starters.
It was a joke :rofl
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

eltorrro wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:39 pm For the first time I have to question the manager's sub choice. Why take off Sparkes, the only person putting in crosses and regularly outpacing his defender. Now we have to rely on Kamara????

We are going to lose this, and deservedly so. :(
I questioned the starting 11 when it was announced !

We got away with it last week against a very average Reading side lacking in confidence, starting with the same 11 against a side flying at the top of their league and full of confidence is an entirely different proposition….too many square pegs in round holes.

Let’s hope JM has learned his lesson and doesn’t start with the same starting 11 next week against Charlton.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Mickemo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:34 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:39 pm For the first time I have to question the manager's sub choice. Why take off Sparkes, the only person putting in crosses and regularly outpacing his defender. Now we have to rely on Kamara????

We are going to lose this, and deservedly so. :(
I questioned the starting 11 when it was announced !

We got away with it last week against a very average Reading side lacking in confidence, starting with the same 11 against a side flying at the top of their league and full of confidence is an entirely different proposition….too many square pegs in round holes.

Let’s hope JM has learned his lesson and doesn’t start with the same starting 11 next week against Charlton.
The midfield wasn't physical enough - I think the referee let more go than he should have but we got bullied at times - they looked stronger than us.

I think Saydee might have been an interesting conundrum for them to solve.

I think the injuries stopped any rhythm getting built up.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

My thoughts too, Devlin esp so, the game was crying out for Saydee for sure.

I’d have started Stevenson all day long….does he owe JM money or something?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Mickemo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:58 pm My thoughts too, Devlin esp so, the game was crying out for Saydee for sure.

I’d have started Stevenson all day long….does he owe JM money or something?
Think we should have started Stevenson with Morrell and played Robertson up front with Colby instead of Anjorin,we might have to do that next week v Charlton. Devlin is still raw and a bit naive which against experienced players that have been around the block isnt ideal. I think the same could be said for several other players like Robertson and Kamara in particular they couldn’t live with the physicality of this game
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:33 pm
NSRailings wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:09 pm
It was a joke :rofl
Oooohh riiigghhhttt