Chesterfield

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Chesterfield

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:21 am it is funny how the same team that has got us clear at the top of the table are suddenly not good enough after one off day.
Chesterfield did want it more, they were the underdog they always want it more, they were very physical, many times stepping over the line but the ref seemed happy to let play go on most of those occasions.
they commentary kept talking about them being non league, and on here their players have been talked about as non league players. Yes they are in the national league, but how many of their players have played in L1 and L2 and in some cases the championship, so completely disingenuous to call them non league players imho
The thing is that the usual posters have been waiting to unleash their vitriol. Look at the number of posts on this topic compared to the Reading topic
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I've not actually watched any of the game back yet but was it actually a foul that led to the free kick they scored from?

At the time and without the benefit of replays I wasn't convinced - doesn't excuse the rest of the performance but not seen this discussed so can only assume it was a foul?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:03 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:21 am it is funny how the same team that has got us clear at the top of the table are suddenly not good enough after one off day.
Chesterfield did want it more, they were the underdog they always want it more, they were very physical, many times stepping over the line but the ref seemed happy to let play go on most of those occasions.
they commentary kept talking about them being non league, and on here their players have been talked about as non league players. Yes they are in the national league, but how many of their players have played in L1 and L2 and in some cases the championship, so completely disingenuous to call them non league players imho
The thing is that the usual posters have been waiting to unleash their vitriol. Look at the number of posts on this topic compared to the Reading topic
Do you mean posters giving their views on how they saw the game and things in general? I have been consistent with my view and I have posted how I see things. I still think the summer signings have been a mixed batch, I am pleasantly surprised by some while others have been disappointing. I do think yesterday's game was a bit of a wake up call as well as reminding us that everything is not as rosy as we would like it to be.

It does irk me a bit when people say things like "can't wait to unleash their vitriol". Personally I would much write gushing remarks about our team which, in fairness, we have been able to do for most of this season. On the other hand there are times when things are not so good so, as long as it is done fairly, some people will point it out as so.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:11 am Maybe the fact that Charlton were held at home by a club in the seventh tier puts our result into perspective that was more of a shock than our result
They're actually in the eighth tier, which just proves your point even more :thumb
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Not from me this time
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I've had some time to stew on my back from the game report... I'm not going to write a long one more a series of points.

1. The kick off set the tone - I think there was an air of turning up will be enough amongst some players.
2. I don't think anyone played especially badly, but nobody played especially well either.
3. Rafferty started slowly and didn't hugely improve. It wasn't a yellow but can see why the change was made.
3. I'm surprised to see some of the negativity around Lane - much of our good work came through him. His crossing wasn't as good as it should be.
4. It seemed like we tried to out a lot of low crosses in and this didn't really work.
5. Chesterfield were very physical and our midfield just isn't built for that sort of battle - that being said Robertson and Morrell were two of our better performers. The ref gave very little protection when our players were getting thrown about and old manned.
6. Whyte while not great seemed to be asked to change position several times - he did have some nice touches.
7. Kamara was lively when he came on, should really have scored his header.
8. If the linesman doesn't slip I think he flags for offside and Poole doesn't get injured.
9. The pitch was very heavy (and watered before the game and at half time), you could see water splashing up when the ball was kicked and it didn't run very well (Suspect this was intentional) - the injuries stopped us being able to freshen things up enough.
10. Next week now becomes a big game.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:00 am
Do you mean posters giving their views on how they saw the game and things in general? I have been consistent with my view and I have posted how I see things. I still think the summer signings have been a mixed batch, I am pleasantly surprised by some while others have been disappointing. I do think yesterday's game was a bit of a wake up call as well as reminding us that everything is not as rosy as we would like it to be.

It does irk me a bit when people say things like "can't wait to unleash their vitriol". Personally I would much write gushing remarks about our team which, in fairness, we have been able to do for most of this season. On the other hand there are times when things are not so good so, as long as it is done fairly, some people will point it out as so.
I don't believe he could possibly have been referring to yourself with that comment. While you and 55 may normally be perceived as sitting on the negative side of the divide, both of you have IMO delivered fair and measured views in this thread.

Others, however, seem to have dived right in the deep end, perhaps letting their emotions get the better of them. If this is how the react to what really amounts to an inconsequential cup defeat, then perhaps they should be put on suicide watch in the inevitable event of our first league defeat.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:40 am I've had some time to stew on my back from the game report... I'm not going to write a long one more a series of points.

1. The kick off set the tone - I think there was an air of turning up will be enough amongst some players.
2. I don't think anyone played especially badly, but nobody played especially well either.
3. Rafferty started slowly and didn't hugely improve. It wasn't a yellow but can see why the change was made.
3. I'm surprised to see some of the negativity around Lane - much of our good work came through him. His crossing wasn't as good as it should be.
4. It seemed like we tried to out a lot of low crosses in and this didn't really work.
5. Chesterfield were very physical and our midfield just isn't built for that sort of battle - that being said Robertson and Morrell were two of our better performers. The ref gave very little protection when our players were getting thrown about and old manned.
6. Whyte while not great seemed to be asked to change position several times - he did have some nice touches.
8. If the linesman doesn't slip I think he flags for offside and Poole doesn't get injured.
9. The pitch was very heavy (and watered before the game and at half time), you could see water splashing up when the ball was kicked and it didn't run very well (Suspect this was intentional) - the injuries stopped us being able to freshen things up enough.
Agree with the above. But I would add that i thought that we were rather unlucky with injuries to two of our better players - possibly connected with the Chesterfield physical side.

Personally, given the Chesterfield aggression, I would have substituted Saydee in the second half instead of one of Kusengi/Kamara. Saydee is built better to withstand such an approoach.

As mentined above, a 1-0 defeat is hardly a crisis. But we need to do better against Charlton next weekend. And it will be interesting to see the team pick for Leyton tomorrow.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

PeteM wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:05 am
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:11 am Maybe the fact that Charlton were held at home by a club in the seventh tier puts our result into perspective that was more of a shock than our result
They're actually in the eighth tier, which just proves your point even more :thumb
And it was the Charlton second 11, mind you that is no excuse for a very poor performance from them. We will have to face their first 11 on Saturday, which will have no bearing on yesterday's game. I note that although Blackett Taylor was on the subs bench he wasn't used. He is the player that most concerns me for Saturday and I wonder why he is still playing at League One level.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:40 am I've had some time to stew on my back from the game report... I'm not going to write a long one more a series of points.

I agree with most of that, but not entirely. We water our pitch quite heavily so there is nothing really in that as an excuse for our team, but it obviously suited Chesterfield more. I think you may well be right about complacency but I would think that should have been knocked out of our boys in the first 20 minutes. I agree that no one played particularly badly although I thought Norris was at fault for their goal and Morrell was our best player with Rafferty our worst. I think Lane is hard done by with criticism because I thought he was our most likely forward before moving to the left side to accommodate Whyte, who was almost anonymous. I agree Chesterfield were very physical but that is the nature of the level they operate at. I thought we got away with just as much as they did with some iffy challenges and I thought the ref was even handed at that. I thought Kamara started well but after a couple of heavy challenges became less effective. Last of all it is true Chesterfield were really motivated, more so than our boys. This is no excuse for our team because 1800 supporters bothered to make the trip with the game on national television, this should have been all the motivation needed. I am not saying they didn't try but just not as much as Chesterfield.
Last edited by Blue Walter on Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:17 pm

I agree with most of that
So do l
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

phat_chris wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:04 am
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:00 am

I don't believe he could possibly have been referring to yourself with that comment. While you and 55 may normally be perceived as sitting on the negative side of the divide, both of you have IMO delivered fair and measured views in this thread.

Others, however, seem to have dived right in the deep end, perhaps letting their emotions get the better of them. If this is how the react to what really amounts to an inconsequential cup defeat, then perhaps they should be put on suicide watch in the inevitable event of our first league defeat.

Thank you, I think! I dont actually see myself as particularly negative as I just post what I think. Sometimes that may be seen as negative if its something that I don't particularly agree with. On the other hand i won't go over the top with the good stuff like some do. Some people think one can't be a 'good supporter' if you criticise the team and don't say how wonderful they are. I do try to be fair with my comments but at the same time I do know people will disagree with me.

But thank you for recognising that I have given a fair and measured response to how I saw yesterday's game, whether I am wrong or right is another matter.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Milton End wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:15 am

Agree with the above. But I would add that i thought that we were rather unlucky with injuries to two of our better players - possibly connected with the Chesterfield physical side.

Personally, given the Chesterfield aggression, I would have substituted Saydee in the second half instead of one of Kusengi/Kamara. Saydee is built better to withstand such an approoach.

As mentined above, a 1-0 defeat is hardly a crisis. But we need to do better against Charlton next weekend. And it will be interesting to see the team pick for Leyton tomorrow.
I agree that maybe Saydee could have come on as I think he is more suited to the physical side of the game. Without being unkind I think that this is the level he is at until he can add more craft and skill to his game. I think that Mousinho made a couple of errors of judgement but he was up against a crafty old fox who has far more experience. He will learn from that, I am sure, but changing Lane to the left side when it was evident that our most promising situations came from him on the right. I think that playing with one striker played right into Chesterfields hands. We had more class at our disposal but it didn't count against a physical team. The FA Cup often throws up a contrast in styles and ability and generally the team with the most will to win is the winner.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Tino out for approx 6 weeks with a hamstring tear, I think I can see why his career is stalling.
Wonder if we have to keep him for the season.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

eltorrro wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:35 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:35 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:08 pm So, judged on this performance who do we get rid of?

Whyte
Kamara
Yengi
Lane
Schofield
Anjorin

That will do for a start...there MUST be better available than those??
Funny that four of those have been widely praised, now as we lose for the first time in six months they suddenly become rubbish
I will respond to your comment PL20, thus:
Whyte...don't think anybody on this forum has ever had a good word to say about him...well, not since we signed him!
Kamara (loan)...don't know how many games he's played for us but my memory can recall him scoring one good goal and perhaps a couple of good crosses/assists. Has a certain amount of skill but mainly ineffectual and is lazy.
Yengi...really effective and scorer of lots of goals...in friendly, pre season games but can't do it against 'real' opposition.
Lane...flatters to deceive, loses the ball more often than not when attempting to beat his man. Tries to beat his man but really isn't fast enough and is usually either dispossessed or his cross is hit too heavy.
Schofield...just isn't good enough
Anjorin (loan)...unfit, not up to speed for lge1 football, too slow, and not as good as he thinks he is.

That's my assessment, others may not agree but I saw several better non league Chesterfield players today that I would have in my team rather than those listed.
I don't think these players have 'suddenly become rubbish'...I don't think they were very good to begin with but possibly showed flashes of skill which they can't maintain.
I think you're knee jerking with respect. Lane already has shown real quality with goals & assists, Yengi has been out injured but has scored 4 times in his 1st season @ this level. Kamara-I like him, fast & direct. Young kid but he's got pace but seems to be the fall guy. I'm not buying he's rubbish @ all.
Whyte-stop start thus far due to injuries etc. We will see.
Schofield-dunno, not sure how after a defeat he didn't play in he's suddenly so bad.