Your Team vs Charlton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Your Team vs Charlton

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I'm interested to know what team do you think we should put out vs Charlton.

Do you risk Poole? If not then who comes in for him in defence? Raggs or Towler
Swanson or Rafferty?
Do you risk Pack? or play him for 60mins from the start?
Robertson, Whyte, Saydee, Devlin or Kamara at 10?

I'm going to go for a slight variation and have Saydee replace Kamara on the inside left position:

Norris
Rafferty,
Raggs,
Shaughnessy,
Sparkes,
Pack,
Morrell,
Robertson
Lane,
Saydee,
Bishop

Subs: Schofield, Swanson, Towler, Stevenson, Whyte, Kamara, Yengi.

I'd like to see Saydee's physicality add something on the heavier pitch this week vs Charlton and Kamara looked a little out of sorts last week vs Chesterfield. I'm moving Robertson forward into the 10 role too and asking him to add creativity and quality further forward than he has been able to show recently because he was covering for Pack whilst he was out injured.

Whyte, Kamara and Yengi are on the bench giving forward options. Devlin is unfortunate to miss out but I wanted to have defensive cover in a CB and a defensive midfielder (choice between Stevenson or Devlin basically to cover for Pack) on the bench and it was choice then between Swanson or Devlin for the last sub spot.

About time we beat Charlton and we need to push for the 3pts here going into the international break and before the Blackpool game on 25th Nov.

What combination are you going for?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Your Team vs Charlton

Post by Pompey55 »

I’d agree with your starting lineup but why not have Devlin on the bench rather than Whyte who in my opinion brings very little to the team
Bringing him on before Kamara and Yengi if more attacking options are needed is a waste of a substitution
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Agree with your starting 11 as well and def have Devlin on the bench.

Another international break :roll:
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Still think that it's too early for Pack or Poole - give both the two week additional international break. Then have them playing into the concentrated Xmas period.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Milton End wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:42 pm Still think that it's too early for Pack or Poole - give both the two week additional international break. Then have them playing into the concentrated Xmas period.
I think that is the most interesting dilemma for Mousinho to decide upon.

For me, Pack has been back in full time training and I would give him 60/70mins tomorrow before the international break. I would be cautious though with Poole's twisted knee and giving him another week or so rest before Xmas was my preference rather than risking him and then regretting it if he made the injury worse vs Charlton and then found out he was not available until the New Year.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I don't think playing Raggett will necessarily weaken the team. I think he is dependable, apart from getting sent off, and has attributes that Poole doesn't have. I think overall Poole is the better player but Raggett is better in the air and is always a threat when we have attacking corners or free kicks. I also think that Saydee is best used as an impact player at the moment.

Oddly enough I have often wondered what Raggett would be like at centre forward. When we have been chasing games and throwing balls forward I have often thought that Raggett would be the ideal man to have up front. He is probably Pompey's best aerial threat.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I'd start Swanson ahead of Rafferty, and Kamara ahead of Saydee. I think Pack will get some game time as he has been in full training for two weeks now so should be fit. Whether he will last 90 minutes I very much doubt, but he would be good to get back in so we can push Robertson up to where he should be. Let's not forget though, that Marlon was sent off in both fixtures last season so they will try to wind him up. Raggett worries me immensely, especially against their front line, he is just so far behind Poole, but I wouldn't risk the latter if he is not quite ready.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:11 pm I don't think playing Raggett will necessarily weaken the team. I think he is dependable, apart from getting sent off, and has attributes that Poole doesn't have. I think overall Poole is the better player but Raggett is better in the air and is always a threat when we have attacking corners or free kicks. I also think that Saydee is best used as an impact player at the moment.

Oddly enough I have often wondered what Raggett would be like at centre forward. When we have been chasing games and throwing balls forward I have often thought that Raggett would be the ideal man to have up front. He is probably Pompey's best aerial threat.
Bit like Bally did ocassionally with Blakey Blue Walter?
I worry a little about Shaugnessy & Raggett together due to a real lack of pace there, Rafferty can play RCB iirc. Think I'd play him with Swanson RB.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

If Poole is not fit, Raggett is going to replace him. I`d start with Whyte rather than Kamara and have Pack come back into midfield pushing Robertson moving further forward to replace Devlin. I think Rafferty will start. Most of the expected lineup know nothing about a supposed bogy team in Charlton. I am going to Italy this afternoon for a couple of hours to watch the match!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:08 pm If Poole is not fit, Raggett is going to replace him. I`d start with Whyte rather than Kamara and have Pack come back into midfield pushing Robertson moving further forward to replace Devlin. I think Rafferty will start. Most of the expected lineup know nothing about a supposed bogy team in Charlton. I am going to Italy this afternoon for a couple of hours to watch the match!
So you would play Whyte out of position on the left when he has failed to impress in his preferred right wing position and as a 10/8
Of all the new signings he is without doubt the worst I’ve seen and I haven’t included Scully due to his injury
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:08 pm If Poole is not fit, Raggett is going to replace him. I`d start with Whyte rather than Kamara and have Pack come back into midfield pushing Robertson moving further forward to replace Devlin. I think Rafferty will start. Most of the expected lineup know nothing about a supposed bogy team in Charlton. I am going to Italy this afternoon for a couple of hours to watch the match!
Have a good flight!! :wink:

ps. just a thought..wouldn't it be cheaper to get a ticket to the match plus hire a limo take you there and back??
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Todays team:
Norris; Rafferty, Raggett, Shaughnessy, Sparkes; Robertson, Morrell (c); Lane, Devlin, Kamara; Bishop

Pack and Poole not in squad (probably a good thing?)
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:04 pm Todays team:
Norris; Rafferty, Raggett, Shaughnessy, Sparkes; Robertson, Morrell (c); Lane, Devlin, Kamara; Bishop

Pack and Poole not in squad (probably a good thing?)
Gives them a two week break to be fit enough for the next game also might have Lowery back by then ?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:28 pm
So you would play Whyte out of position on the left when he has failed to impress in his preferred right wing position and as a 10/8
Of all the new signings he is without doubt the worst I’ve seen and I haven’t included Scully due to his injury
Yes
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

1-0 HT wonder strike by Kamara