Your Team vs Charlton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Your Team vs Charlton

Post by StMonkton »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:15 pm I never became a Pompey Supporter to continually be negative and dismissive. We are top of the Table, best defence in the league, joint best goal difference, sixth most potent attack, oh and undefeated since march in the League! My first match watching Pompey at Fratton Park was against Charlton that too was a 2-2 draw on 31st October 1959.
That’s pretty spooky as it was my first game at Fratton too!

Aside from that, I think I like it better when we go behind first, then come back and win.

Plenty of bumps in the road ahead but I feel there is something really positive about the squad and manager. Keep the faith and fingers crossed.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Just a couple of things from yesterday. I thought that the bugler was excellent, and the ref had a decent game too.

To me it was a really decent game to watch between two teams who wanted to play an attractive style of football, which we really should have won.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Just seen the goals again. Norris was at fault. Shocking goalkeeping.
Bishop should have taken the Robertson cross first time. Not sure why Kamara and Lane came off. That was poor from Moushino. Very good performance though and we can take heart from that. I'd be looking for a new keeper in January though. He's cost us a few times now.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:14 am Just seen the goals again. Norris was at fault. Shocking goalkeeping.
Bishop should have taken the Robertson cross first time. Not sure why Kamara and Lane came off. That was poor from Moushino. Very good performance though and we can take heart from that. I'd be looking for a new keeper in January though. He's cost us a few times now.
I agree with you about Norris and I really think getting a decent goalkeeper should be on the agenda. I think his distribution is good though but he does take too many chances in my view. I think that was shown when he tricked the Charlton player with his dribbling ability and a casual lob over their players head to pass to Sparkes later on. I agree with you about Bishop taking that chance first time, the only blemish on him that I can remember during the whole game. That's probably one reason why Bishop is plying his trade at this level at not higher where taking chances early is the difference between top strikers and less so. I still think he is the best centre forward we have had for many years though and will be able to play at a higher level with his all round ability.

However I think you are wrong about Mousinho making a poor decision about Lane, the player himself signalled to the bench to come off with a leg problem. I also think you are wrong about Kamara too because he doesn't seem to be able to handle a full game. When he starts a game he does noticeable fade later in the game and I thought this was true yesterday. I think he had a good game though and scored a brilliant goal.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:14 am Just seen the goals again. Norris was at fault. Shocking goalkeeping.
I think your being a little harsh regarding Norris yes he had a shocker yesterday but overall he has in my view saved us more points than lost
Kamara was tiring and I think a change was needed just not Whyte it should have been Yengi
Saydee for Devlin made sense
And I thought Swanson Lane was to add defense and protect the points as it was at 87 minutes
I hope BW is wrong and he’s not injured as we really don’t have an effective cover on the right wing
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:48 pm
I think your being a little harsh regarding Norris yes he had a shocker yesterday but overall he has in my view saved us more points than lost
Kamara was tiring and I think a change was needed just not Whyte it should have been Yengi
And I thought Swanson Lane was to add defense and protect the points as it was at 87 minutes
I hope BW is wrong and he’s not injured as we really don’t have an effective cover on the right wing
He was right in front of us when he waved to the bench pointing to his lower leg. I think he had suffered a couple of heavy tackles and was feeling the effects but it didn't look too serious, hopefully.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:30 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:48 pm I think your being a little harsh regarding Norris yes he had a shocker yesterday but overall he has in my view saved us more points than lost
He was right in front of us when he waved to the bench pointing to his lower leg. I think he had suffered a couple of heavy tackles and was feeling the effects but it didn't look too serious, hopefully.
Lane received some treatment in the 2nd half, so fingers crossed it hasn't lead to anything long term. Kamara had a good game and him for Saydee isn't a bad thing.

Norris has been very good overall, so hopefully he'll learn from yesterday and the Cup game.

The bugler and silence were superb and moving. I was in the South Stand for the first time and the atmosphere was pretty good :thumb
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I agree the bugler was very good and the whole Remembrance part was well done.

I am afraid I don't share your views on Norris though. I think his distribution is good but I think he takes too many chances. I don't think he dominates his area very well and he is suspect at crosses. I think he has some culpability in the last three goals scored against us. I think he was out of position for Chesterfield's goal and was at fault for both of yesterday's. I think he is a good shot stopper and has had good games for us but I think he has had a fair share of mistakes as well.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Ref Norris, think he's decent myself. He's certainly earning us points more than he's cost us which is always the equation I use. James made a few howlers after all but was otherwise a superb keeper.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:29 pm I agree the bugler was very good and the whole Remembrance part was well done.

I am afraid I don't share your views on Norris though. I think his distribution is good but I think he takes too many chances. I don't think he dominates his area very well and he is suspect at crosses. I think he has some culpability in the last three goals scored against us. I think he was out of position for Chesterfield's goal and was at fault for both of yesterday's. I think he is a good shot stopper and has had good games for us but I think he has had a fair share of mistakes as well.
Trouble is BW we don’t have an adequate replacement for Norris so we need to persevere with him. I believe he was inconsistent at Peterborough, but to be fair he has saved us a few times.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

There is no escaping the fact that Norris shouldn't be beaten at his front stick like that.

That being said, he has for the most part been very good for us, so perhaps deserves the benefit of the doubt - I also don't think you get many better keepers in league one, as they all have a clanger in them at our level.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:15 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:29 pm I agree the bugler was very good and the whole Remembrance part was well done.

Trouble is BW we don’t have an adequate replacement for Norris so we need to persevere with him. I believe he was inconsistent at Peterborough, but to be fair he has saved us a few times.
Of course you are absolutely right, we don't have anyone to replace him and he is the best we have got. Although I do believe we have an extremely good keeper on the way in young Toby Steward, who won't be ready just yet obviously. I don't deny that he has had some good games for us and saved points for us. Conversely he is erratic, in my opinion, and has cost us points. I think that was the case yesterday where I think he should have saved at least one of those goals, particularly the second one.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Charlton supporters are calling Norris 'near post Norris' and they are not too pleased in the way he appeared to play act. They feel it was karma that he let that second goal in afterwards. Most seem to feel that the game hinged on the two keepers where their kept them in the game and ours gave them the point. They also reckon they could have won it in injury time too.

They all said it was a great game and paid tribute to the atmosphere created at a 'proper football ground' with both sets of supporters playing their part. They think we have a good side and should be in the top two at the end of the season. However, they mostly think that Bolton are the best side they have played this season who will eventually win the title. They all think that it is a much weaker league this season than last and no one is anywhere near Ipswich of last season.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Matt Macey is still a free agent.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Claygate wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:50 pm Matt Macey is still a free agent.
Port Vale @ home last season.....