Your Team vs Charlton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Your Team vs Charlton

Post by jam tomorrow »

Interesting JM is not blaming Will for the second goal he believes that they should never have got in a position to get a shooting opportunity. Basically sounds as if it was Swannie that was at fault if you have to blame someone. What ever but I think we all agree even if it was a defenders error the GK should have dealt with it. JM also said that the Charlton goal keeper played the best game he’s seen which makes Norris’s error stand out even more.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:14 am Interesting JM is not blaming Will for the second goal he believes that they should never have got in a position to get a shooting opportunity. Basically sounds as if it was Swannie that was at fault if you have to blame someone. What ever but I think we all agree even if it was a defenders error the GK should have dealt with it. JM also said that the Charlton goal keeper played the best game he’s seen which makes Norris’s error stand out even more.

Personally I think Mousinho is doing his job there by trying to protect his keeper from suffering a confidence loss. I think you would expect the manager to put a verbal arm round his player. Whichever way you try to dress it up Norris let a headed, not a shot, ball go through his hands at the near post. It wasn't a particularly close range effort for a header either and I put the blame firmly on Norris. We are all human and we will all make mistakes, a top rated striker will miss open goals. Bishop missed a chance that he should have scored, which is the strikers equivalent of a keeper letting the ball squirm through his hands. So maybe you could point to Bishop costing us two points in the same way as Norris. I happen to think that Norris's mistakes have led to the last three goals scored against us, which is erratic to say the least.

However, that incident should not detract from the fact that both teams put on an entertaining game with lots of good football that was a credit to League One. I think that Pompey were the better of two good teams and deserved to win the game and the Charlton keeper earned his team two points with some excellent saves.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

It's totally possible to both believe that we should have done more to prevent them getting the ball to a position where they could get an effort on goal and also that Norris should have saved it. So I don't think JM is wrong to say that, because if we had defended it better in either of these two parts it wouldn't have happened.

While Norris has had a difficult week, he's generally been pretty decent for us so far so has earned the right to a couple of poor games. He does need to bounce back quickly though, because we don't have a lot of other options at the moment. I've actually seen Steward play this season for Gosport and he looks very promising but I don't think he's ready for League One just yet.

Actually a very good performance and if Bishop scores when he hit the bar to make it 2-0, we'd almost certainly have gone on to win. But I thought we have played an awful lot worse than this already during the season and won, so if we keep that level of performance up consistently, we'll be absolutely fine.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 154 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I see many are suggesting Toby Steward as a possible back up keeper but if you read the loan updates on the official site it would appear that Oluwayemi is having a really positive time at Chelmsford
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:43 pm I see many are suggesting Toby Steward as a possible back up keeper but if you read the loan updates on the official site it would appear that Oluwayemi is having a really positive time at Chelmsford
I think we all agree that Toby Steward is not ready for League One football just yet. I must admit I don't know much about Oluwayemi
at Chelmsford but they are in the Vanarama South league, which is some three leagues below our level. I would think we would need a keeper experienced at a higher level to come in if we were to look for a new keeper. Norris has been OK most of the time but he came with the tag of being erratic and I think he has shown why.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

PeteM wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:04 pm It's totally possible to both believe that we should have done more to prevent them getting the ball to a position where they could get an effort on goal and also that Norris should have saved it. So I don't think JM is wrong to say that, because if we had defended it better in either of these two parts it wouldn't have happened.

While Norris has had a difficult week, he's generally been pretty decent for us so far so has earned the right to a couple of poor games. He does need to bounce back quickly though, because we don't have a lot of other options at the moment. I've actually seen Steward play this season for Gosport and he looks very promising but I don't think he's ready for League One just yet.

Actually a very good performance and if Bishop scores when he hit the bar to make it 2-0, we'd almost certainly have gone on to win. But I thought we have played an awful lot worse than this already during the season and won, so if we keep that level of performance up consistently, we'll be absolutely fine.

You could go further back in the move that led to their equaliser if you wanted. You could blame the ball boy for retrieving the ball too quickly for their throw in but the final act was a header that squirmed out of our keeper's hands into the net. Not a particularly hard header at that as well. Of course we can forgive the odd mistake but I think the last three goals against us have an element where the keeper should have done better.

I hope it doesn't affect him too much, of course, and that he picks up and turns in barn storming performances for us. I suppose a keepers mistakes become magnified whereas a striker missing an open goal gets the chance of redemption.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:13 pm
PeteM wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:04 pm It's totally possible to both believe that we should have done more to prevent them getting the ball to a position where they could get an effort on goal and also that Norris should have saved it. So I don't think JM is wrong to say that, because if we had defended it better in either of these two parts it wouldn't have happened.

You could go further back in the move that led to their equaliser if you wanted. You could blame the ball boy for retrieving the ball too quickly for their throw in but the final act was a header that squirmed out of our keeper's hands into the net. Not a particularly hard header at that as well. Of course we can forgive the odd mistake but I think the last three goals against us have an element where the keeper should have done better.

I hope it doesn't affect him too much, of course, and that he picks up and turns in barn storming performances for us. I suppose a keepers mistakes become magnified whereas a striker missing an open goal gets the chance of redemption.
I agree that he has been at fault for the last three goals conceded. But often there is more than one mistake that leads to a goal being conceded. For me there are actually three for that second goal. Firstly, we'd dropped too deep as a team (which is almost inevitable when you're 2-1 up in added time). Secondly, we failed to track the run of the player who ended up scoring the goal (from memory, he was picked up on the edge of the box and then whoever was picking him up stood there and let the goalscorer run off him). Thirdly, Norris should clearly have saved it.

I also think he's been a perfectly decent keeper for us for the vast majority of the season and made some excellent saves. As you say, every goalkeeping mistake tends to lead to a goal so it magnifies the error.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

PeteM wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:32 pm

I agree that he has been at fault for the last three goals conceded. But often there is more than one mistake that leads to a goal being conceded. For me there are actually three for that second goal. Firstly, we'd dropped too deep as a team (which is almost inevitable when you're 2-1 up in added time). Secondly, we failed to track the run of the player who ended up scoring the goal (from memory, he was picked up on the edge of the box and then whoever was picking him up stood there and let the goalscorer run off him). Thirdly, Norris should clearly have saved it.

I also think he's been a perfectly decent keeper for us for the vast majority of the season and made some excellent saves. As you say, every goalkeeping mistake tends to lead to a goal so it magnifies the error.

I am not particularly disagreeing with your point, football coaches preach that every goal scored against you is the result of a mistake, or mistakes by more than one player. I don't see Norris as a particularly good goalkeeper at League One level and nor did Peterborough who passed up the chance to sign him. I do agree that he has been good in some games but I do worry about his mistakes.

So, while I agree that there were contributing factors in the lead up to that second goal, the final act was an extremely poor attempt by Norris to stop a none too hard headed goalward shot trickling into the goal. That made him the most culpable contributor in the goal as he was, perhaps by a lesser extend, the two goals against us before that.

I hope he proves me wrong and has a brilliant season from now on, we do need a keeper that breeds confidence in our defenders.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I think this criticism of Norris is rather unfair. There have been several games where a brilliant save by him has secured three points. Perhaps he could have done better with the two goals, but we still did not lose the game.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:56 pm
PeteM wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:32 pm

I am not particularly disagreeing with your point, football coaches preach that every goal scored against you is the result of a mistake, or mistakes by more than one player. I don't see Norris as a particularly good goalkeeper at League One level and nor did Peterborough who passed up the chance to sign him. I do agree that he has been good in some games but I do worry about his mistakes.

So, while I agree that there were contributing factors in the lead up to that second goal, the final act was an extremely poor attempt by Norris to stop a none too hard headed goalward shot trickling into the goal. That made him the most culpable contributor in the goal as he was, perhaps by a lesser extend, the two goals against us before that.

I hope he proves me wrong and has a brilliant season from now on, we do need a keeper that breeds confidence in our defenders.
keeper is always going to get the blame if the ball is the net, he is the last line, but that goal was a litany of errors, of not clearing the ball, allowing time and space for the cross to come back in, leaving the player wide open to head the ball.
maybe he could have done better, but then so could all the players in front of him, keepers get a raw deal when it comes to blame, and he has made many more good saves than he has let in goals
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I wasn't actually going to post anymore on this particular subject but we seem to be going round in circles somewhat. I am not particularly disagreeing with others on here yet I am being told, basically, that l am wrong in my view by everyone. I accept that the lead up to the second goal was, like most goals, a series of mistakes by various players within our team. So quite why people see the need to tell me that I am not sure. Others seem to agree that they think Norris was at fault for letting a none too hard header squirm through his hands at his near post. Therefore, in my opinion, the mistake by Norris was the biggest mistake of this particular goal scored against us.

Where I do disagree and, perhaps, find myself outside of inner circle is that I don't think Norris is very good goalkeeper because he is so erratic. I don't deny that he has played well in some games but, in my very humble opinion, I also think he has had some very poor games.

The bottom line for me, which will no doubt bring howls of disapproval, is that if we have had a decent goalkeeper we would have won on Saturday. While I accept the whole team played poorly against Chesterfield I also think we would, quite possibly, not have lost without a goalkeeping error.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

While I agree that Norris had a shocker on Saturday, you could argue that he saved us from defeat against Carlisle with that save right near the end, which we then went on and scored a couple of minutes later from a corner.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

BW I think you're taking things too personally. Just because someone quotes you doesn't necessarily mean they're attacking you. It's a just a way to continue the subject and put a view across.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

NSRailings wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:37 am BW I think you're taking things too personally. Just because someone quotes you doesn't necessarily mean they're attacking you. It's a just a way to continue the subject and put a view across.
Agree but I see where BW is coming from on this subject he feels Norris is not good enough for a team chasing promotion. You either agree with him or not it’s a matter of opinion. My view is that our two goal keepers weren’t the best of choices. I think we panicked when we realised we couldn’t afford Macey.You can’t expect JM to admit they’ve cocked up. They are a weak link in this successful squad. I hope I’m wrong PUP
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:27 am While I agree that Norris had a shocker on Saturday, you could argue that he saved us from defeat against Carlisle with that save right near the end, which we then went on and scored a couple of minutes later from a corner.
I wouldn't argue that he has had some good games but I would also suggest he is erratic and responsible for some of the goals. I would also argue that I can't think of a game where he has been the stand out reason for winning games either. I don't rate him as good enough for a team that is chasing promotion. I would also add he was one of the players that I wasn't 'inspired' by when he signed for us.