Your Team vs Charlton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompeypete73
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Your Team vs Charlton

Post by Pompeypete73 »

Apart from a ten minute spell mid half, thats gotta be one of best first half performances at FP this season.
Everyone's doing their job but I gotta say that Robertson seems like he has grown up with no petulance, his skills, vision, spacial awareness is not of a man of his age! On top of that, he seems to becoming a leader on the pitch also, the way he gee's up people one on one is very encouraging
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

2-2 FT given away not taking the large number of chances created
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Last week some of you turned on me re my thoughts about Lane...today I think he played his best game so far for Pompey and playing like that is what I would like to see from him. He almost got MoM but was just edged out by Robertson who had a great game and we will certainly miss him when he returns to Citee.
Really poor game from Norris who I would blame for both goals. Shame because he's normally so good.
Pompey should have scored at least 5.

Two points lost but hey, Pompey played really well against a good Charlton side.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:16 pm Last week some of you turned on me re my thoughts about Lane...today I think he played his best game so far for Pompey and playing like that is what I would like to see from him. He almost got MoM but was just edged out by Robertson who had a great game and we will certainly miss him when he returns to Citee.
Really poor game from Norris who I would blame for both goals. Shame because he's normally so good.

Two points lost but hey, Pompey played really well against a good Charlton side.
Hopefully we will be promoted by the time he goes back to Man City!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:01 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:28 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:08 pm If Poole is not fit, Raggett is going to replace him. I`d start with Whyte rather than Kamara and have Pack come back into midfield pushing Robertson moving further forward to replace Devlin. I think Rafferty will start. Most of the expected lineup know nothing about a supposed bogy team in Charlton. I am going to Italy this afternoon for a couple of hours to watch the match!
So you would play Whyte out of position on the left when he has failed to impress in his preferred right wing position and as a 10/8
Of all the new signings he is without doubt the worst I’ve seen and I haven’t included Scully due to his injury
Yes
When he came on he contributed sod all and did not make a single tracking back tackle if anything bringing him on today weakened the team
Your should have heard the groans when his name was announced as a substitute so it’s not just me
Last edited by Pompey55 on Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I never became a Pompey Supporter to continually be negative and dismissive. We are top of the Table, best defence in the league, joint best goal difference, sixth most potent attack, oh and undefeated since march in the League! My first match watching Pompey at Fratton Park was against Charlton that too was a 2-2 draw on 31st October 1959.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:15 pm I never became a Pompey Supporter to continually be negative and dismissive. We are top of the Table, best defence in the league, sixth most potent attack, oh and undefeated since march in the League! My first match watching Pompey at Fratton Park was against Charlton that too was a 2-2 draw on 31st October 1959.
I don’t think many of us are going to complain about today’s game getting a draw against a team we habitually lose to is a point gained
Maybe I’m missing something but have not seen any negative posts
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:06 pm 2-2 FT given away not taking the large number of chances created
This is the only negative post I’ve seen
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

That was some game today, which actually entertained. I think I would go as far as to say that it possibly one of the best Pompey have played this season, if not the best. I thought Robertson was man of the match and oozed quality & skill, closely followed by Lane & Bishop. I think that was Lane's best game and Bishop is the best centre forward we have had for years, his lay offs were brilliant. Kamara had a good game and Raggett certainly didn't let the team down. Morrell was outstanding again for a League One player.

On the negative side I think we should have won making 21 attempts with 9 on target. Having said that Charlton had a patch in the first half where they could have had a couple of goals where we had lucky escapes. Sparkes defending worries me though along with Norris while I don't think Devlin is quite ready for starts at this level.

The biggest negative in an exciting match between two good teams has to be Norris throwing himself down and, even more bizarrely getting a free kick. I think he should have been booked for simulation.

Other than that a brilliant game against the best side we have seen down here.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:58 pm has to be Norris throwing himself down and, even more bizarrely getting a free kick.
I didn't see why he went down but did see things thrown onto the pitch by idiots. Would hope they can be IDed.

Had a feeling we'd need 3 goals. Lane was fantastic. Robertson also and hope he'll be even more effective when pushed forward when Pack returns. Thought we played some great stuff at times but some players need a little more confidence occassionally. Brilliant goal from Kamara.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:31 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:58 pm has to be Norris throwing himself down and, even more bizarrely getting a free kick.
I didn't see why he went down but did see things thrown onto the pitch by idiots. Would hope they can be IDed.

Had a feeling we'd need 3 goals. Lane was fantastic. Robertson also and hope he'll be even more effective when pushed forward when Pack returns. Thought we played some great stuff at times but some players need a little more confidence occassionally. Brilliant goal from Kamara.

The idiots started throwing stuff onto the pitch in response to Norris's acting.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:38 pm
NSRailings wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:31 pm

The idiots started throwing stuff onto the pitch in response to Norris's acting.
Yes I know but was he hit by something that made him go down in the first place? Or did a Charlton player give him an excuse to go down?
Super Matt Macey in goal...
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:22 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:16 pm Last week some of you turned on me re my thoughts about Lane...today I think he played his best game so far for Pompey and playing like that is what I would like to see from him. He almost got MoM but was just edged out by Robertson who had a great game and we will certainly miss him when he returns to Citee.

Hopefully we will be promoted by the time he goes back to Man City!
If we are, City might let him stay next season as well as part of his development!
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:58 pm
The biggest negative in an exciting match between two good teams has to be Norris throwing himself down and, even more bizarrely getting a free kick. I think he should have been booked for simulation.
I watched on iFollow and had the opportunity of play back/slowmo. May didn't mean to kick him but he did actually come down very heavily with his heel onto Norris's toes..and I bet it hurt like hell considering how flimsy modern day boots are. It was an accident but Norris shouldn't be blamed for going down..May shouldn't have done what he did plus, had he have actually made contact with the ball he would have been penalised for kicking the ball out of the keeper's hand.
nb. Probably the only thing Norris wasn't at fault for today!!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:11 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:58 pm
I watched on iFollow and had the opportunity of play back/slowmo. May didn't mean to kick him but he did actually come down very heavily with his heel onto Norris's toes..and I bet it hurt like hell considering how flimsy modern day boots are. It was an accident but Norris shouldn't be blamed for going down..May shouldn't have done what he did plus, had he have actually made contact with the ball he would have been penalised for kicking the ball out of the keeper's hand.
nb. Probably the only thing Norris wasn't at fault for today!!

I haven't actually seen any replays of the incident so I am in no position to argue against you. However, from where I was sitting, and to those around me, it looked very much like play acting. From what you have said I need to look at it again or hear what other people's account of it who were nearer the incident. The Charlton fans who saw it on their fans forum are adamant that it was Norris play acting. I will also say that I thought Norris was at fault for both goals. He did also make a couple of smart saves.