Lane out of Northern Ireland Squad

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Lane out of Northern Ireland Squad

Post by Blue Walter »

Apparently Paddy Lane has withdrawn from the Northern Ireland squad due to not being able to train with an injury. This injury is what, I assume, made him come off on Saturday. We haven't got a game for a little while so hopefully he will be fit for our next game. He certainly seems to have found a bit of form and I think that on Saturday was the best I have seen him play. It is a shame for him because I think he would have played for his country if he was fit.

I note that Devlin has been promoted to the senior side from the under 21's. The media explanation was that he was being given the experience of training with the senior squad, maybe it was also due to Lane's withdrawal. It does show, however, that they consider Devlin is progressing well and getting nearer a full cap, which is good news for us. I am not so sure he is ready for a first team starter for us just yet but with more games he gains more experience.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Lane out of Northern Ireland Squad

Post by Pompey55 »

Not to worry we have our “marque” signing from the summer Whyte who on current form is a shoe in to replace him if unfit :D
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:16 am Not to worry we have our “marque” signing from the summer Whyte who on current form is a shoe in to replace him if unfit :D
Yes, Whyte has been a big disappointment hasn't he? He was one of the players that I was keen on during the summer transfer recruiting made by us. Although my keenness was tempered somewhat after reading the Oxford fans forum. Before he signed for us and there was talk of him going back to Oxford, which was apparently on the agenda, they were generally not keen. When he signed for us some actually expressed their relief. That surprised me because he done really well for them initially. Apparently before he left for Cardiff he hadn't been performing too well. Still, he may turn out to be a success if he is given a run in his preferred position. Some Cardiff supporters told me that they didn't think he was given a fair chance by their then manager but when he did play they didn't think he pulled up any trees.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:26 am
Pompey55 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:16 am Not to worry we have our “marque” signing from the summer Whyte who on current form is a shoe in to replace him if unfit :D
Yes, Whyte has been a big disappointment hasn't he? He was one of the players that I was keen on during the summer transfer recruiting made by us. Although my keenness was tempered somewhat after reading the Oxford fans forum. Before he signed for us and there was talk of him going back to Oxford, which was apparently on the agenda, they were generally not keen. When he signed for us some actually expressed their relief. That surprised me because he done really well for them initially. Apparently before he left for Cardiff he hadn't been performing too well. Still, he may turn out to be a success if he is given a run in his preferred position. Some Cardiff supporters told me that they didn't think he was given a fair chance by their then manager but when he did play they didn't think he pulled up any trees.
yes he has been Walter, he is no where near as good as Best, or matthews, probably even more recent wingers like steve Coppell or ryan Giggs
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

There was a comment from one of the players who reckoned Whyte was a revelation in training and once he gets some goals/ confidence we would all see just how good he really is!Watch this space
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:23 pm
yes he has been Walter, he is no where near as good as Best, or matthews, probably even more recent wingers like steve Coppell or ryan Giggs

Is that another of your little over exaggerations of what I have posted? No he is not as good as the players you mention. You may think he has been good when he has played for us but, unfortunately, I don't think he has. That's not to say he won't, of course, but as things stand he has been disappointing.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

jam tomorrow wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:50 pm There was a comment from one of the players who reckoned Whyte was a revelation in training and once he gets some goals/ confidence we would all see just how good he really is!Watch this space
Yes I hope you are right and he becomes a match winner. I have seen quotes from players saying similar things about him but as yet, where it counts, on the pitch it hasn't quite happened yet in my opinion. When he first went to Oxford he was a resounding success which prompted Cardiff to sign him. A Championship team thought he could do a good job for them, so he has got something there and players don't become useless overnight. Hopefully we will see a transformation in him at some point but I would think he needs games to bring that out.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:09 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:50 pm There was a comment from one of the players who reckoned Whyte was a revelation in training and once he gets some goals/ confidence we would all see just how good he really is!Watch this space
Yes I hope you are right and he becomes a match winner. I have seen quotes from players saying similar things about him but as yet, where it counts, on the pitch it hasn't quite happened yet in my opinion. When he first went to Oxford he was a resounding success which prompted Cardiff to sign him. A Championship team thought he could do a good job for them, so he has got something there and players don't become useless overnight. Hopefully we will see a transformation in him at some point but I would think he needs games to bring that out.
The problem in part is that Lane has been in such good form Whyte has tended to either come on later in the game of played out of position in the centre or on the left also it's apparent that he doesn't appear to track back when losing possession as with the late goal in Saturday originating on our right wing where he was positioned
I think he is an anomaly in the modern game in that he is simply a right winger with attacking and crossing ability and little else in my view which does not really work effectively any more at this level
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:02 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:23 pm

Is that another of your little over exaggerations of what I have posted? No he is not as good as the players you mention. You may think he has been good when he has played for us but, unfortunately, I don't think he has. That's not to say he won't, of course, but as things stand he has been disappointing.
it was tongue in cheek due to the posts a couple of weeks ago with the disappointment of our wingers displays and how they weren't as good as best and Matthews, that's all Walter

to be honest i havent seen him enough to know if he has performed well or not so i dont comment on his performances
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Portchy2...methinks you do Walter a disservice as it were me that said about Matthews, Best, et al although I never, ever, compared Whyte to those legends only that I had been blessed to have seen them play live over the years. :smt006
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Devin was named as an unused sub.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

eltorrro wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:57 am Portchy2...methinks you do Walter a disservice as it were me that said about Matthews, Best, et al although I never, ever, compared Whyte to those legends only that I had been blessed to have seen them play live over the years. :smt006
fair enough Eltorro, apologies to both of you then.
I do seem to recall a post suggesting that there were disappointments in our current wingers as they were not as good as watching best et el