Should Football be Entertaining?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Should Football be Entertaining?

Post by pompeygunner »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:05 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:02 pm I think they're entitled to one relatively poor performance. Lets think about both Italy games, both entertaining & both great wins. Me, I'll easily forget the Malta game but will remember the Italy games & the smashing of Scotland for a long long time.
Yes, those games will live long in the memory for the results and for the manner in which they were achieved. I agree any team can be excused for the odd bad performance but I think Friday's game was more than just a poor performance. I think it was the contemptuous way that England approached the game without any consideration for those that did actually put some effort to attend the game that were very short changed.
Fair enough but I dont look too deeply into these things tbh. This England has earned an awful lot of credit in the bank imo. Friday was a very rare off day.
Bit like over the course of a season we'll see Pompey playing really well, really crap (Cheltenham @ home), play well & lose, play superbly @ times & draw (Charlton).
If England do well in Euro 24 whose going to remember last Friday?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

pompeygunner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:12 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:02 pm I think they're entitled to one relatively poor performance. Lets think about both Italy games, both entertaining & both great wins. Me, I'll easily forget the Malta game but will remember the Italy games & the smashing of Scotland for a long long time.
Yes, those games will live long in the memory for the results and for the manner in which they were achieved. I agree any team can be excused for the odd bad performance but I think Friday's game was more than just a poor performance. I think it was the contemptuous way that England approached the game without any consideration for those that did actually put some effort to attend the game that were very short changed.
Fair enough but I dont look too deeply into these things tbh. This England has earned an awful lot of credit in the bank imo. Friday was a very rare off day.
Bit like over the course of a season we'll see Pompey playing really well, really crap (Cheltenham @ home), play well & lose, play superbly @ times & draw (Charlton).
The people that bothered to go to Friday's match will remember it for a waste of time and money. They will also remember that England have done so much recently to restore the pride and respect for our national team, but then undone a lot of that with their effortless amble. We not talking about an 'off day' here we are talking about a conscious act, collectively, not to over stretch themselves.

I was thinking about going to the game, in fact I would have if my granddaughter wasn't so far away on something she couldn’t get out of. I am so glad I never went to the game but I have been to numerous England games and I never thought that a group of English players would perform like that.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:35 pm
The people that bothered to go to Friday's match will remember it for a waste of time and money. They will also remember that England have done so much recently to restore the pride and respect for our national team, but then undone a lot of that with their effortless amble. We not talking about an 'off day' here we are talking about a conscious act, collectively, not to over stretch themselves.

I was thinking about going to the game, in fact I would have if my granddaughter wasn't so far away on something she couldn’t get out of. I am so glad I never went to the game but I have been to numerous England games and I never thought that a group of English players would perform like that.
Whatever Walter. :thumb
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

pompeygunner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:48 pm

:thumb
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Whatever indeed. You are trying to convince me that I am wrong to be disappointed with the England teams showing on Friday while, conversely, I am trying to convince you I am entitled to feel let down. So as teenagers say when there is no real answer, whatever.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:59 pm

Whatever indeed. You are trying to convince me that I am wrong to be disappointed with the England teams showing on Friday while, conversely, I am trying to convince you I am entitled to feel let down. So as teenagers say when there is no real answer, whatever.

I just can't get overly worried about stuff like this Walter, that's why I put whatever.
Crack on but if England hammer Macedonia tomorrow I hope to see you on here praising them up big time ha ha.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

pompeygunner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:47 pm

I just can't get overly worried about stuff like this Walter, that's why I put whatever.
Crack on but if England hammer Macedonia tomorrow I hope to see you on here praising them up big time ha ha.

You certainly will see me praising the team if they do hammer North Macedonia. The England team is the only other team that stirs me like Pompey do so I am hoping for a brilliant win. Actually I think that they will turn in a much better performance after the flak they got from Friday's game.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Amen to that Walter. That's what we all want.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Once again you take things personally Walter, like it's personal attack. You've asked a question about whether football should be entertaining. People are answering it with their opinions.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

You have mentioned this before but I don't think I take it personally in the sense of being upset or even annoyed. People generally disagree with me on this board so I do expect it anyway. I think what it is with me is when posters 'advise' me on certain points that I have already raised myself, or are rather obvious side issues, which prompts me to reply. Very often the views expressed on here are at odds with the general opinion that I hear elsewhere, Friday's game for example.

I suppose a good example is the parking issue around Fratton Park on a thread where someone was asking what that is like these days. I posted on there saying how difficult it is these days and more people are using the erratic public transport. I should have known that someone would reply to that by saying they had been going to Fratton Park for years and have never had any problems. That is quite at odds with the general veiw on the Gosport ferry where people have a similar experience to me. In fact I know people who just don't bother with evening games.

Anyway I suppose debating would be boring if everyone agreed with each other. It's probably best I keep my views to myself I suppose and then I wouldn't have to be 'corrected'.