Blackpool

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Blackpool

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:12 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:00 pm That was our worst performance for a while but think we learned something first Sparkes can’t defend and their manager obviously noticed that and if Bishop doesn’t score no one else is capable of stepping up
The referee was totally useless but you can’t blame that on a totally abject performance today with Moushino being yet again being out thought by a more experienced manager who identified our weaknesses and exploited them

Actually, I don't think it was our worst performance of the season and I don't think we really played that badly. We were just beaten by a better team. I think what done for us is that we played a team that was capable of exposing our weaknesses and take advantage. We did have passages of play that were good and had Blackpool concerned. Their keeper made some good saves at 1-0 which could have got us back in the game. I will also agree we had some real ropey passages of play with players making poor passes, such as the one just before half time when Sparkes passed it back from the halfway line only to kick the ball out of play in an attacking area for Blackpool. I think Blackpool then played the text book 11 against 10 game and we had no chance. I think if we had played inferior opposition we would have fared better, which goes without saying I suppose, but it does show that not all League One teams are inferior to us.
We're Blackpool all that, or was the major difference actually some excellent finishes?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

My slant on our season so far is other teams are improving whilst we are not.

I'm not saying we are getting worse, just not improving?? :(
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:17 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:00 pm That was our worst performance for a while but think we learned something first Sparkes can’t defend and their manager obviously noticed that and if Bishop doesn’t score no one else is capable of stepping up
The referee was totally useless but you can’t blame that on a totally abject performance today with Moushino being yet again being out thought by a more experienced manager who identified our weaknesses and exploited them

Actually, I don't think it was our worst performance of the season and I don't think we really played that badly. We were just beaten by a better team. I think what done for us is that we played a team that was capable of exposing our weaknesses and take advantage. We did have passages of play that were good and had Blackpool concerned. Their keeper made some good saves at 1-0 which could have got us back in the game. I will also agree we had some real ropey passages of play with players making poor passes, such as the one just before half time when Sparkes passed it back from the halfway line only to kick the ball out of play in an attacking area for Blackpool. I think Blackpool then played the text book 11 against 10 game and we had no chance. I think if we had played inferior opposition we would have fared better, which goes without saying I suppose, but it does show that not all League One teams are inferior to us.
We're Blackpool all that, or was the major difference actually some excellent finishes?
Yes I thought Blackpool were good and are the best side we have seen down here this season. I think that they have some outstanding players and I am baffled as to why Dembele is playing at League One level. I thought that Blackpool have retained some of their Championship 'polish'. They did take their chances well but that is a good sign of good players in a good team. They always had at least two strikers ready to cause problems. So, yes I thought Blackpool performed to where I would like our side playing.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:20 pm My slant on our season so far is other teams are improving whilst we are not.

I think that's a fair view. Hopefully today will be a wake up call for JM and the players etc.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:20 pm My slant on our season so far is other teams are improving whilst we are not.

Yes I would agree with that but would add that teams also have found a way to cause us problems. The more fancied teams are now beginning to perform as they were expected to and we need a really good injection when the window opens otherwise we will start to lag behind. We also need to change the way we play more often. We have a standard shape behind Bishop so, in my opinion, we need to develop a more flexible way to attack.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:38 pm

Yes I thought Blackpool were good and are the best side we have seen down here this season. I think that they have some outstanding players and I am baffled as to why Dembele is playing at League One level. I thought that Blackpool have retained some of their Championship 'polish'. They did take their chances well but that is a good sign of good players in a good team. They always had at least two strikers ready to cause problems. So, yes I thought Blackpool performed to where I would like our side playing.
I don't think it was a 4-0 performance and probably flattered them somewhat. We should have gone in at half time one all really on balance of play - we just didn't didn't score when on top again.

As I said earlier in the thread I think Bishop has started to try and play the referee more than the opposition and this is starting to become a problem for him, and us as he doesnt seem to win much now.

While I understand why we played Martin in the left - Kamara looked very handy at times today - it didn't quite work out.

I still maintain though I don't think there was much between the two teams, they were just more ruthless.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:12 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:38 pm

I don't think it was a 4-0 performance and probably flattered them somewhat. We should have gone in at half time one all really on balance of play - we just didn't didn't score when on top again.

As I said earlier in the thread I think Bishop has started to try and play the referee more than the opposition and this is starting to become a problem for him, and us as he doesnt seem to win much now.

While I understand why we played Martin in the left - Kamara looked very handy at times today - it didn't quite work out.

I still maintain though I don't think there was much between the two teams, they were just more ruthless.

I agree with that on the balance of play up to the hour mark of the game 4-0 did flatter them. Once Morrell went I think was a matter of how many they would score. I also agree that Kamara did look useful at times and with a bit of luck we could have gone in at half time level. But I think the bottom line is, in my opinion, that Blackpool were the better of the two teams and deserved to win taking in the whole match into account. I don't think we ever found where their weakness was but they certainly exposed ours. On the evidence of today I thought Blackpool looked like the team at the top of the table.

I think that the way we play we are flogging Bishop to death and wasting his talent at the same time. I think this shows in his frustration during games but I also think he gives as good as he gets and referees see that. He needs help up front and I think if he is given a regular strike partner Bishop would bring the best out of them. I don't know why the club bring in players which are 'one for the future' when they end up as perennial bench warmers doing nothing to prove they are 'one for the future ', apart from the odd cameo when the game is lost.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

They had five shots on target and four goals. I didn’t see the game so will wait for the highlights but they had the same number of shots on target as we did. Were all their goals good goals or we’re we unlucky? I kinda feel like we’ve been lucky in some of our games and have managed to win when perhaps a draw or even a loss would have been fairer so it was only a matter of time until our luck ran out.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Just to clarify I did say for a while not all season I’d reserve that for the Cheltenham game
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:54 am They had five shots on target and four goals. I didn’t see the game so will wait for the highlights but they had the same number of shots on target as we did. Were all their goals good goals or we’re we unlucky? I kinda feel like we’ve been lucky in some of our games and have managed to win when perhaps a draw or even a loss would have been fairer so it was only a matter of time until our luck ran out.
As has already been said we could easily have gone in all square which is when most of our shots were accrued can’t remember a shot on target in the second half
What was heartening was apart from those who sodded of before the end the support mainly stuck with the team
Thought “4-0 who gives a ****** we are super Portsmouth and we’re going up” continuously near the end from the whole Fratton End summed that up
However I wonder how it will be if we turn in many more games like this
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I didn’t see this game thankfully so my opinion is based on what I have seen and heard to date.Firstly I think we have missed Pack since he’s been injured and performances have below par. Granted Morrell has been outstanding but we need them both. Although Robertson has stood in for him well but his forte is really upfront.
Together with Paddy Lane and Kamara so with Bishop this is a strong combination. In terms of defence losing Ogilvie has also been a big loss and Sparkes has really not been a good replacement. Also losing Poole has also been a big loss, as he is a really classy player in the spine of the team. The other position which has proved very weak is in goalkeeping and has been exposed. In terms of other players not in the side like Yengi, Stevenson, Saydee, Whyte, Scully don’t really offer anything extra. Towler Swanson, Lowery do but we obviously need better options as subs but the main areas to concentrate on is GK Left Back and a Goal Scoring forward with pace.Get this sorted and vary our style of play then we might have a chance?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Was the referee as bad as some say? I personally don't think he had a good game and was in danger of losing control at one stage but I don't think he was the worst we have seen, he was definitely not a 'homer' though. I do think that some referees, especially at grounds ike Fratton Park in the lower leagues, are intent on showing they won't be swayed by a large vocal & passionate home crowd. One week they umpire games in front of a couple of thousand and then they are thrust into the 'big' time and it is a culture shock to them.

I often wonder whether the crowd do influence the match officials that much. However, in yesterday's game the ref turned down a penalty claim by Pompey, team & crowd, as the protests were going on a Pompey player clearly fould a Blackpool player to win the ball back when it emerged from the penalty area. I thought at the time that he had to give it but he allowed the game to go on with Pompey in possession. I thought that incident was the start of where the ref lost control momentarily. He knew that after
turning down the penalty claim giving a free kick to the opposition would cause furore. So he was swayed by a combination of crowd and players into not giving an unpopular decision. After that we had several Pompey players throwing themselves to the ground theatrically trying to gain an advantage, the worst was when Sparkes got dispossessed and he tried to make it look like he had been a victim of GBH.

I didn't really see the penalty claim as a 'stonewall penalty' but I would like to see it again. The 'offside' goal scored by Blackpool should not have stood. The ball clearly came off a player in an offside position but in fairness to the ref he could well have been unsighted. He can only give what he sees, or in this case, what he doesn't see. The linesman could have helped out but once the ref had given the goal he couldn't really change his mind because the Pompey players told him it was offside. That is where VAR has its merits.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think the referee for two of the major decisions wrong - which led to the third he got right.

The second goal, was given to a bloke who was offside but didn't interfere with play? I think VAR gives it offside.

The penalty I think it was, ans I think VAR gives it if it existed.

At this point it's 1-0...

Still we weren't going to go all season unbeaten - on to Burton. Shame they got a tonking yesterday really.