Yesterday

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

blueocean
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 1 time

Yesterday

Post by blueocean »

If we are honest we've never really battered anybody. We've been lucky to win so many games as we have. We have to get beaten sometime I know but what worries me is losing 4-0 at home.A few years ago we lost 4-0 at home to Hull and that was the start of a capitulation that season.

Nothing is won in November and I'm not saying the wheels have come off but its important we bounce back on Tuesday.
blue-two
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Yesterday

Post by blue-two »

All my troubles seemed so far away.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

I agree with what you said. Unfortunately, I decided yesterday’s game would be an ideal opportunity for my kids to visit Fratton Park for the very first time. They enjoyed the atmosphere, but not the final scoreline! Hopefully they are not scarred for life as a result!

I did warn them beforehand that Pompey would probably lose so as to manage their expectations. I had a suspicion Blackpool would win 2 nil. My 5 year old son like many others wanted to leave after the third goal.

My take on yesterday’s game was that Blackpool were worthy winners and by far the better team. Their passing was much more incisive and clinical. Every time they broke forward they looked dangerous and so it proved. They and Bolton are my picks for the two auto spots IMHO. Peterborough won’t be far behind.

What concerned me was that our defenders were not tight enough to the attackers and gave them far too much space and room in the final third. I also noticed little to no communication between our backline. I don’t think anyone can really comprehend the impact of losing Regan Poole is going to have on our season. Since his absence from the side, we’ve not managed to keep a clean sheet. Conceded 8 goals in four matches, which has resulted in lost 2, drawn 1 and won 1. Moreover, our strength this season has been passing out from the back, which has mainly come courtesy of Mr Poole.

As you say we’ve not blown any sides away with exception to the first half at Oakwell. There are quite a few players out of form or ring rusty having returned from injury. It seems we have now started our ‘dip’. How long it lasts will shape our season. Does Moushino have the nous to turn things around? Let’s hope so.

What is plainly evident is that we are well short of firepower. When Bishop doesn’t score, who else is going to chip in with a goal? Our second leading goal scorer is Poole a central defender on 3 goals. That does not bode well for the remainder of the season. One would hope this can be rectified in the January transfer window. Otherwise, I fear another season of disappointment.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I think that's the day BEFORE yesterday!
blue-two wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:03 pm All my troubles seemed so far away.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
blue-two
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by blue-two »

RubiconCSL wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:34 pm I think that's the day BEFORE yesterday!
blue-two wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:03 pm All my troubles seemed so far away.
Nah mate, missed all that happened all day. I was oblivious. Different priorities for once. Thankful really.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Claygate wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:26 pm I agree with what you said. Unfortunately, I decided yesterday’s game would be an ideal opportunity for my kids to visit Fratton Park for the very first time. They enjoyed the atmosphere, but not the final scoreline! Hopefully they are not scarred for life as a result!

I did warn them beforehand that Pompey would probably lose so as to manage their expectations. I had a suspicion Blackpool would win 2 nil. My 5 year old son like many others wanted to leave after the third goal.

My take on yesterday’s game was that Blackpool were worthy winners and by far the better team. Their passing was much more incisive and clinical. Every time they broke forward they looked dangerous and so it proved. They and Bolton are my picks for the two auto spots IMHO. Peterborough won’t be far behind.

What concerned me was that our defenders were not tight enough to the attackers and gave them far too much space and room in the final third. I also noticed little to no communication between our backline. I don’t think anyone can really comprehend the impact of losing Regan Poole is going to have on our season. Since his absence from the side, we’ve not managed to keep a clean sheet. Conceded 8 goals in four matches, which has resulted in lost 2, drawn 1 and won 1. Moreover, our strength this season has been passing out from the back, which has mainly come courtesy of Mr Poole.

As you say we’ve not blown any sides away with exception to the first half at Oakwell. There are quite a few players out of form or ring rusty having returned from injury. It seems we have now started our ‘dip’. How long it lasts will shape our season. Does Moushino have the nous to turn things around? Let’s hope so.

What is plainly evident is that we are well short of firepower. When Bishop doesn’t score, who else is going to chip in with a goal? Our second leading goal scorer is Poole a central defender on 3 goals. That does not bode well for the remainder of the season. One would hope this can be rectified in the January transfer window. Otherwise, I fear another season of disappointment.
I hate to say it but a number of us pointed out that the reliance on unproven players in support of Bishop would be an issue

Unfortunately the policy of paying nominal sums for players with potential is now starting to show and it’s failing
We tried to recruit on the cheap getting players with potential but goal scorers don’t come cheap
I would hope that will be addressed in January but with Hughes involved I doubt it to me it seems spending on “assets” trumps promotion at the moment
We are appearing to be Crewe on the coast
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Quite simply we have to recruit very well in January. 2nd striker, centre half, left back, goalkeeper and left winger. We'll see if the ambition matches that of the fans.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:59 am Quite simply we have to recruit very well in January. 2nd striker, centre half, left back, goalkeeper and left winger. We'll see if the ambition matches that of the fans.
Think you can forget about a left winger they are banking on Scully coming back from injury and replicating his performance a couple of years ago at this level or as was planned on Saturday before circumstances changed play Whyte there again hoping he can one day replicate his form from a couple of years ago
I do think there was a confidence that both could after barely playing for 2 season's replicate past form and that would increase our goal tally from open play rather than the current situation where we seem to be relying on set pieces if Bishop of Lane doesn't score
These 2 in my view have been the most disappointing summer acquisitions with Sparkes as a defender not far behind although we knew he was rubbish defending when he was signed
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 33 times

Post by StMonkton »

It does look as though a strong first eleven isn’t matched in quality by the injury replacements. The next couple of months could be quite a challenge. There’s still plenty of points on offer after January so another good run might be enough of a push come the end of the season.

A shopping list of strong central defender , goal scorer and a creative midfielder is probably what 90 % of clubs in Europe have.
They will be hard to find and costly.

If we slump over the next 3 or 4 games recruitment will be essential though.

Will the owners see the management team as worth investing in?

I think they should, what do others think?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Firstly I think we have a creative midfield player in Robertson however since Packs injury he is being wasted playing to deep to be fully effective
Hopefully when we can have Pack and Morrell in tandem then he can be better utilized
Regarding financial backing from the owners I believe they will invest in the playing budget but are guided by Cullen and Hughes regarding recruitment as they are not really football experts
Our summer recruitment got it mainly right defensively and midfield but the attack was reliant upon to many gambles both in the young prospects players but also in believing that Whyte and Scully after very little football in recent seasons would reproduce their past performances at this level unfortunately both gambles appear to have failed to date
I wonder if Cullen and Hughes coming as they have from clubs with less history and expectation are doing things in a manner similar to these “lesser” clubs who in general tend to be happy to survive at this level rather than the expecting we as fans do of having a return at least to the Championship a level we played at for most of my time supporting the club
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:28 pm Firstly I think we have a creative midfield player in Robertson however since Packs injury he is being wasted playing to deep to be fully effective
Hopefully when we can have Pack and Morrell in tandem then he can be better utilized
Regarding financial backing from the owners I believe they will invest in the playing budget but are guided by Cullen and Hughes regarding recruitment as they are not really football experts
Our summer recruitment got it mainly right defensively and midfield but the attack was reliant upon to many gambles both in the young prospects players but also in believing that Whyte and Scully after very little football in recent seasons would reproduce their past performances at this level unfortunately both gambles appear to have failed to date
I wonder if Cullen and Hughes coming as they have from clubs with less history and expectation are doing things in a manner similar to these “lesser” clubs who in general tend to be happy to survive at this level rather than the expecting we as fans do of having a return at least to the Championship a level we played at for most of my time supporting the club
Didn't Scully play most of the season before last at Lincoln? And Whyte for that matter at Hull?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:28 pm Firstly I think we have a creative midfield player in Robertson however since Packs injury he is being wasted playing to deep to be fully effective

I think if a club's priority is promotion then, to a certain extent, looking for players to develop is not the way forward. I think the club should be looking at things from a more short term investment. I would think that if a club is looking at promotion in the longer term then, obviously, the club will have more time on their hands to bring developing players through. This is one of the reasons why is was a bit disappointed & critical of our summer dealings. For striker back up we only have two untried players at this level, Saydee did have most of the season with Shrewsbury but did not show he was ready for this level just yet. Obviously there were good signings as well but the club failed to cover the left back position & the striking section.

So I am hoping that the club reflect on our promotion hopes for this season in the January window. We need to cover the positions I have already mentioned in my opinion plus, if possible, unearth a clever forward thinking midfield player that can create more for our striker(s). Further more I hope Mousinho will adapt to the lessons learnt so far this season and by having a more flexible attack. I accept that this will mean the club spending money to get the calibre of player we need and will need to eye the immediate future, rather than the longer term 'asset' view.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:08 pm
Didn't Scully play most of the season before last at Lincoln? And Whyte for that matter at Hull?
Whyte played 353 minutes last season in total
Scully played 100 minutes last season in total
So not recent years but still very little football and that in my view would have an affect not so much physically but certainly from a confidence point of view which seems to be the issue in particular with Whyte
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:42 pm
So not recent years but still very little football and that in my view would have an affect not so much physically but certainly from a confidence point of view which seems to be the issue in particular with Whyte
You were saying for two season they have barely played - when what you mean is they didn't pay much last season. But they haven't barely played for two seasons.

Scully was here for all of preseason - he's just got a knee injury it happens. Whyte hasn't had a preseason, I think this is always a bigger issue than it is given credit for, despite this when he played at the start of the season he was contributing assists.

I predict both will come good.

One loss doesn't make the summer business awful.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:45 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:42 pm
You were saying for two season they have barely played - when what you mean is they didn't pay much last season. But they haven't barely played for two seasons.

Scully was here for all of preseason - he's just got a knee injury it happens. Whyte hasn't had a preseason, I think this is always a bigger issue than it is given credit for, despite this when he played at the start of the season he was contributing assists.

I predict both will come good.

One loss doesn't make the summer business awful.

Of course you are right and one loss doesn't make the summer transfer activity all bad. I agree that both Scully & Whyte could come good, in fact I hope they do. I still think that some of my concerns with this business is bona-fide and needs putting right. We disagree over Sparkes, for instance, where my view is that he is not a very good full back. Not defensively anyway and if he was brought in as a left back then I think it is not a good signing which, in my opinion, needs rectifying. The striker issue needs resolving too as I think that we are making a mistake relying on Bishop solely in this role. The two back up players are, again in my opinion, are not the answer. In time they might well be but if they are restricted to cameos they are not going to gain the experience they need.

Whyte & Scully are a disappointment, you can dress the circumstances up as much as you like but they remain disappointing. Nobody can say Scully is rubbish because he has hardly played due to injury but, conversely, nobody can say he has been good. Whyte has had chances but, for whatever reason, he has been a huge let down. Another thing that needs mentioning is that neither of those two players possess the pace that Mousinho now say he wants. I would think the lack of pace was evident in the summer as well which was not rectified.