Yesterday

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Yesterday

Post by Blue Walter »

PeteM wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:07 pm My suspicion is that we signed Sparkes primarily to be the back up left back to Ogilvie, and then to be an option to use off the bench in games where we are heavily on top and having a lot of the ball to try and help break down a packed defence. Or on occasion to start home games where we expect to have a lot of possession and not to be under pressure defensively, where he could provide a greater attacking threat than Ogilvie and his set piece delivery.

That all seems perfectly logical (and the fact is that we may well have signed him precisely because he was good going forward and therefore to be a different option in our squad). However, he's been exposed a bit more defensively by Ogilvie's injury meaning he's started more games than expected (and probably not helped that he hasn't had the calming and organising presence of Poole at the back for the last few games too). Teams will also have started to target him more as a defensive weakness as he plays more games and their scouting reports suggest they might get some joy attacking down his side.

He'd almost certainly be better as a wing back than a full back. The other way to look at it is that we've also got the best defensive record in League One despite conceding four on Saturday and he's played in the vast majority of those games, so probably isn't quite as bad defensively as we think!

Regarding Scully and Whyte, I'm still reserving judgement on Scully because he's only played a handful of games (and I was happy with the signing at the time because I remembered him being decent for Lincoln). Whyte has definitely been a disappointment up until now but hopefully he can still make a contribution even if it isn't quite as big as the one we envisaged in the summer.
I agree with most of what you say and I have thought exactly the same as you concerning Sparkes. Where I possibly disagree slightly is that whilst the club were looking in to signing Sparkes his defensive concerns would have been apparent. For this reason I don't think he should have signed as cover or backup for the Left Back spot and another more reliant player should have bee sought to cover this position. He does have other qualities and I agree with what you say that may have attracted our club. I can't disagree on your synopsis on Scully & Whyte.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

eltorrro wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:58 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:18 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:02 pm Regarding Sparkes I totally agree he cant defend but as regards winning us points going forward he has actually won us games with his assists
In fact his assists in the games against Exeter, Lincoln,Wycombe and Carlisle contributed to our wins by one goal
Conversely his lack of defensive ability cost us in other games but his assist record out weighs that
He is a good wing back but a crap left back
I don't doubt or disagree that Sparkes has contributed positively in some of our games. I don't doubt or disagree that Spakes does have attributes I am just saying that as a left back he is a liability. His defending is poor so he is best used elsewhere if he can be accommodated and serves the team. It is a bit like saying Bishop is not a great goalkeeper so best keep him up front.

In the summer Mousinho claimed that the squad has at least two players for every position. I contend that they don't at left full back position.
In case you haven't seen it on video:

Sparkes guilty of dismal defending for first Blackpool goal..he just gave up
Sparkes guilty of dismal defending (not forcing player onto right foot) for 3rd goal.

He should never be picked to play full back again!!
As I said a crap defender
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

You would have thought Pompey were second to bottom of the table rather than second top! If you read all these various comments!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:05 am You would have thought Pompey were second to bottom of the table rather than second top! If you read all these various comments!
indeed with a team of no hopers that have been ***** all season
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:12 am
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:05 am You would have thought Pompey were second to bottom of the table rather than second top! If you read all these various comments!
The fact is we have been here many times before…we have an excellent start to the season and then the wheels come off. Whether it be form, tactics, injuries or no plan B. Let’s hope Saturdays result was just a blip and we return to winning ways tonight 👍🏻
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Claygate wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am The fact is we have been here many times before…we have an excellent start to the season and then the wheels come off. Whether it be form, tactics, injuries or no plan B. Let’s hope Saturdays result was just a blip and we return to winning ways tonight 👍🏻
Exactly. If we're still in with a decent shout of the autos come February then I'll start to believe.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:12 am

A predictable response from your good self which, no doubt, will be covered by the usual 'tongue in cheek' reply. No one has said that we have been rubbish all season, quite the contrary as a team isn't top at this stage of the season without being good. I think the general theme of the naysayers is that some could see Saturday's performance coming, maybe not the scoreline. We have a very good first eleven when fit and available but the back up in certain positions is not up to standard. Teams have worked out our weaknesses and exploited it, as Saturday showed. I don't think many teams come to Fratton Park and 'shut up shop' or' park the bus'. They come to attack us because they know there are weaknesses. Also they know that if they can restrict our attack we don't really have much to offer. We have a good team and good players so it is up to us to change the way we play to overcome this and give teams more to think about.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:38 am
Claygate wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am The fact is we have been here many times before…we have an excellent start to the season and then the wheels come off. Whether it be form, tactics, injuries or no plan B. Let’s hope Saturdays result was just a blip and we return to winning ways tonight 👍🏻
Exactly. If we're still in with a decent shout of the autos come February then I'll start to believe.
Actually I think we are having a little dip at the moment, which all teams go through at some stage of the season, and has been evident for a few weeks now. I think that clubs have watched how we play and come up with a plan to stop us. It is now for our team to come up with something different and less predictable. I think starting tonight at Burton where they have their own injury crises, mainly in defence. We could exploit this by going with two strikers and an attacking formation.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 am
NSRailings wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:38 am
Actually I think we are having a little dip at the moment, which all teams go through at some stage of the season, and has been evident for a few weeks now. I think that clubs have watched how we play and come up with a plan to stop us. It is now for our team to come up with something different and less predictable. I think starting tonight at Burton where they have their own injury crises, mainly in defence. We could exploit this by going with two strikers and an attacking formation.
Good plan BW it’s all about adapting and using the strengths we have we can bounce back from this hiccup
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

Funny that Denver Hume doesn't get a mention in this whole thread.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Kingo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:47 am Funny that Denver Hume doesn't get a mention in this whole thread.
I would play Hume at left back and Sparkes attacking wing back (anything must be better than Sparkes at full back!!)
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Kingo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:47 am Funny that Denver Hume doesn't get a mention in this whole thread.
That is so true I had completelyforgottenabout him. Surely he is a better defender than Sparkes.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:06 am
I would play Hume at left back and Sparkes attacking wing back (anything must be better than Sparkes at full back!!)
You know I have a funny feeling JM is still going to play Sparkes at left back despite our reservation’s, there are other options such as put Shaughnessy there and play Towler at centre half with Rags. Having said that should we change a successful team based on one bad game l wonder whether losing Poole has made this situation worse? Sparkes gives us an extra attacking threat that we don’t have and puts more pressure on the team to find goals.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:10 pm
You know I have a funny feeling JM is still going to play Sparkes at left back despite our reservation’s, there are other options such as put Shaughnessy there and play Towler at centre half with Rags. Having said that should we change a successful team based on one bad game l wonder whether losing Poole has made this situation worse? Sparkes gives us an extra attacking threat that we don’t have and puts more pressure on the team to find goals.
For what it's worth I think the Blackpool right winger is just the sort of player who Olgivie comes undone against too.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:53 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:10 pm
For what it's worth I think the Blackpool right winger is just the sort of player who Olgivie comes undone against too.
Dembele is exactly the type of player we need certainly is an improvement on Whyte and Scully
-- Diane Johnson