Back from the Match: Burton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Back from the Match: Burton

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Overall it was job done, it wasn't always pretty and it wasn't always free flowing but it was job done - and largely comfortable.

We started the first half brightly and had a lot of the ball, we probed but didn't cause masses of issues. Kamara down the right looked the most threatening. The final ball was just letting us down.

Burton then came back into the game a bit more and started to cause us some issues, but nothing hugely problematic. Sparkes was coming under a bit of pressure from their winger but by and large the team looked comfortable.

Towards the end of the first half we started to get a bit more of a foot on the ball again and we then got the penalty which we converted.

Onto the second half, we started slowly and it seemed like it could be a long second half, but again for all their huff and puff Burton didn't exactly have us under siege. We grew into the second half and again a lot of our better play was coming down the right via Kamara. Just before the second goal he was in exactly the same position and flicked it towards where he wanted Rafferty to be, but he wasn't. Minutes later the same move and Rafferty was there - 2-0. Game over...

Even at this point we could, possibly should have had another goal or two but Burton faded away to offer noting.

Kamara and Robertson both had very good games. Kamara just seems to dwell on the ball for a second or two too long before crossing or shooting but he is only 20.

Robertson is just a cut above, makes the game look easy would be nice to see him kick on with a few more goals now.

Sparkes was under a bit of pressure first half but had some of our better balls into the box, in the second half he has the upper hand on his winger for the vast majority of the half.

Morris - I think there could be a player in there and given some time and matches he could prove a useful bit of cover. I'm.sure neither he nor JM expected him to start these last two games.

2-0, three points, clean sheet, job done.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Back from the Match: Burton

Post by jam tomorrow »

Thanks for the update 84 you are one of the many true blue fans who follow the team near and far hats off to you all
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:12 pm Thanks for the update 84 you are one of the many true blue fans who follow the team near and far hats off to you all
Not so far for me, I was tucked up in bed by 00:30.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Just seen this on the Button forum from a poster called insideleft
Also you have to admire Portsmouth they aren't a team put together on big money. They looked a young side, they played the ball out from the back, across the midfield they had players in Robertson, Martin and Kamara who all wanted the ball, were comfortable on the ball and positive going forward. There was a pattern to their play and they all seemed to know what their roles were. You have to notice also that Shaugnessy looked accomplished at the back and Saydee played his part, two players we couldn't find room for!
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Who’s Morris???

We have Will Norris the goalkeeper, but assume you meant Josh Martin?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Claygate wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:27 pm Who’s Morris???

We have Will Norris the goalkeeper, but assume you meant Josh Martin?
Haha that's exactly who I mean! I've been emailing a colleague with the surname Morris on and off most of the week!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:07 pm Overall it was job done, it wasn't always pretty and it wasn't always free flowing but it was job done - and largely comfortable.

We started the first half brightly and had a lot of the ball, we probed but didn't cause masses of issues. Kamara down the right looked the most threatening. The final ball was just letting us down.

Burton then came back into the game a bit more and started to cause us some issues, but nothing hugely problematic. Sparkes was coming under a bit of pressure from their winger but by and large the team looked comfortable.

Towards the end of the first half we started to get a bit more of a foot on the ball again and we then got the penalty which we converted.

Onto the second half, we started slowly and it seemed like it could be a long second half, but again for all their huff and puff Burton didn't exactly have us under siege. We grew into the second half and again a lot of our better play was coming down the right via Kamara. Just before the second goal he was in exactly the same position and flicked it towards where he wanted Rafferty to be, but he wasn't. Minutes later the same move and Rafferty was there - 2-0. Game over...

Even at this point we could, possibly should have had another goal or two but Burton faded away to offer noting.

Kamara and Robertson both had very good games. Kamara just seems to dwell on the ball for a second or two too long before crossing or shooting but he is only 20.

Robertson is just a cut above, makes the game look easy would be nice to see him kick on with a few more goals now.

Sparkes was under a bit of pressure first half but had some of our better balls into the box, in the second half he has the upper hand on his winger for the vast majority of the half.

Morris - I think there could be a player in there and given some time and matches he could prove a useful bit of cover. I'm.sure neither he nor JM expected him to start these last two games.

2-0, three points, clean sheet, job done.

Great report, and so much better than the normal news paper reporters report from a Pompey supporters perspective. Although I wasn't aware we had a new player.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Martin was doing my head in with his erratic shooting and decision making. Hopefully he'll improve. As will Morris...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:37 pm Martin was doing my head in with his erratic shooting and decision making. Hopefully he'll improve. As will Morris...
I have hope for the former...
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I watched the match on IFollow and would agree with P1984+1 a positive and accurate report
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:42 am I watched the match on IFollow and would agree with P1984+1 a positive and accurate report
I'm not sure what their manager was watching to say they were camped inside out half... I cannot assume it was because they were attacking the Dave Arnott (I think they was his name) 'King of Caravans' end.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

I reserve judgment on Martin until he's had more game time. What I did notice was a lot of the problems caused by Burton's winger on the right were due to a poor combination between Sparkes and Martin, defending as a unit. When Lane replaced Martin, we were much stronger and Sparkes looked much more comfortable. This may not have just been about defending, but also that with Lane, our attacking threat was much greater and forced Burton back down their right flank towards their own goal on more occasions.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sawbo Blue wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:18 am I reserve judgment on Martin until he's had more game time. What I did notice was a lot of the problems caused by Burton's winger on the right were due to a poor combination between Sparkes and Martin, defending as a unit. When Lane replaced Martin, we were much stronger and Sparkes looked much more comfortable. This may not have just been about defending, but also that with Lane, our attacking threat was much greater and forced Burton back down their right flank towards their own goal on more occasions.
I would agree - and the same was true on occasions with Rafferty and Kamara not quite on the same wave length but Kamara has mostly played on the left so far I think?
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

If I’m remembering my 1980s midlands TV properly, I think it was ‘ Don Amos, King of Caravans.’
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

StMonkton wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:15 pm If I’m remembering my 1980s midlands TV properly, I think it was ‘ Don Amos, King of Caravans.’
I've consulted my ticket from Tuesday...

Don Amott 'King of Caravans'

https://www.leisurekingdom.co.uk/