This really is a great club. Your favourite memories?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: This really is a great club. Your favourite memories?

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:41 pm Just browsing YouTube and watching Pompey videos and we really do have an amazing club. I’m late 30s and started w watching in the 90. Oh boy the things I’ve seen us do in that time I feel very lucky to be a fan of this great club.

Here are my highlights...

* Beating Leeds in the FA cup at Eland road
* Champions 02/03
* 2008 FA Cup win
* EFL trophy win
* Beating Spurs in the Semis and getting to the 2010 final
* Last day title winning day to get us out of League 2
* Those goals from Mendes against City and the great escape that year.
* Almost beat Milan in Europe

There have been some amazing moments no doubt but it’s the amazing fan base we have I’m most proud of. Whether that’s saving the club from administration or giving players like Henry a standard ovation or the unwavering support and passion shown every single week regardless of if we are playing well or not. I strongly believe the fans alone are worth a handful of points every year and without them some of those achievements might not have happened.

There’s a reason players and managers alike praise the atmosphere at Fratton Park. Even now almost 30 years on from my first game the hairs stand up in the back of my neck every time when entering the Fratton end and hearing the roar of the crowd. For 90 minutes all those differences we have whether political or what not become irrelevant and we are come together in unison to support our great club and great city. That’s what I love most about the club. Managers, owners and players come and go but the fans will be here forever.

Great Post Sam, you have nudged quite a few memories here.

I quite often come across YouTube videos with Pompey connections and memories come flooding back. Before games the big screen at the Milton End shows a sequence of games and incidents before kick off. As I watch them I find it amazing to think that I was at most of the games featured, not the 1939 Cup Final though. I actually sit in the same spot in front of where Matt Taylor took that shot from against Everton and I think every time I see it the same thing that I thought the time. It was 'what are you doing you prat you could have got that down the wing', obviously by the end of that thought sequence the net bulged from a delightful long range shot.
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

Mike Trebilcock scoring two rapid hattrick and that goal against Arsenal. I was surprised to see him later drinking so many pints after playing cricket with my mates for Rowlands Castle. The team in the 60s with Hiron, Jennings, Piper, Milkins etc.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:30 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:41 pm Just browsing YouTube and watching Pompey videos and we really do have an amazing club. I’m late 30s and started w watching in the 90. Oh boy the things I’ve seen us do in that time I feel very lucky to be a fan of this great club.

Here are my highlights...

* Beating Leeds in the FA cup at Eland road
* Champions 02/03
* 2008 FA Cup win
* EFL trophy win
* Beating Spurs in the Semis and getting to the 2010 final
* Last day title winning day to get us out of League 2
* Those goals from Mendes against City and the great escape that year.
* Almost beat Milan in Europe

There have been some amazing moments no doubt but it’s the amazing fan base we have I’m most proud of. Whether that’s saving the club from administration or giving players like Henry a standard ovation or the unwavering support and passion shown every single week regardless of if we are playing well or not. I strongly believe the fans alone are worth a handful of points every year and without them some of those achievements might not have happened.

There’s a reason players and managers alike praise the atmosphere at Fratton Park. Even now almost 30 years on from my first game the hairs stand up in the back of my neck every time when entering the Fratton end and hearing the roar of the crowd. For 90 minutes all those differences we have whether political or what not become irrelevant and we are come together in unison to support our great club and great city. That’s what I love most about the club. Managers, owners and players come and go but the fans will be here forever.

Great Post Sam, you have nudged quite a few memories here.

I quite often come across YouTube videos with Pompey connections and memories come flooding back. Before games the big screen at the Milton End shows a sequence of games and incidents before kick off. As I watch them I find it amazing to think that I was at most of the games featured, not the 1939 Cup Final though. I actually sit in the same spot in front of where Matt Taylor took that shot from against Everton and I think every time I see it the same thing that I thought the time. It was 'what are you doing you prat you could have got that down the wing', obviously by the end of that thought sequence the net bulged from a delightful long range shot.

I remember being at that match and saying to my dad - 'we are playing well here, but we aren't really looking like scoring' and then boom.