This really is a great club. Your favourite memories?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

This really is a great club. Your favourite memories?

Post by Sam_Brown »

Just browsing YouTube and watching Pompey videos and we really do have an amazing club. I’m late 30s and started w watching in the 90. Oh boy the things I’ve seen us do in that time I feel very lucky to be a fan of this great club.

Here are my highlights...

* Beating Leeds in the FA cup at Eland road
* Champions 02/03
* 2008 FA Cup win
* EFL trophy win
* Beating Spurs in the Semis and getting to the 2010 final
* Last day title winning day to get us out of League 2
* Those goals from Mendes against City and the great escape that year.
* Almost beat Milan in Europe

There have been some amazing moments no doubt but it’s the amazing fan base we have I’m most proud of. Whether that’s saving the club from administration or giving players like Henry a standard ovation or the unwavering support and passion shown every single week regardless of if we are playing well or not. I strongly believe the fans alone are worth a handful of points every year and without them some of those achievements might not have happened.

There’s a reason players and managers alike praise the atmosphere at Fratton Park. Even now almost 30 years on from my first game the hairs stand up in the back of my neck every time when entering the Fratton end and hearing the roar of the crowd. For 90 minutes all those differences we have whether political or what not become irrelevant and we are come together in unison to support our great club and great city. That’s what I love most about the club. Managers, owners and players come and go but the fans will be here forever.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: This really is a great club. Your favourite memories?

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Gonna go with a defeat. 1980 4-1 away to Liverpool in (I think) 4th round LC. Never seen the fans like it before or since. We owned Anfield that day. Ticker tape welcome as shown on the program absolutely awesome. I was top of the lower section behind the goal.

Attachments
3481_Portsmouth_v_Barnsley_15th_November_1980_Sovenir_Match_Programme_for_the_FLC_Game_against_Liverpool_1.jpg
Div III. Call it what it is.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Northampton away May 1980. I was amongst 8k Pompey fans to see us win 2-0 & clinch promotion. Wonderful day.
Charente
Paul Merson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Charente »

The joy of supporting Pompey is that there are so many memories. But if I had to choose one, and since it is nearly Xmas it would be 1984 when a certain Alan Biley scored a couple of goals against Oxford.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

pompeygunner wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:15 am Northampton away May 1980. I was amongst 8k Pompey fans to see us win 2-0 & clinch promotion. Wonderful day.
Lol to think we got allocated less than 2k tickets last weekend.

How come so many back then? More people standing so more room for fans?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I did not believe Pompey would win the FA Cup in my lifetime. I was fortunate to watch many of the games played in that Cup run. Plymouth , ManU, West Brom and the final against Cardiff. The match at Old Trafford was immense and as the remainder of the ties in the sixth round were settled, the prospect of winning the Cup started to become a reality. However the best experience at Wembley was the semi final against Spurs two years later. Anfield in 1980 was awesome, but a defeat. Both Bradfords the 3-1 to stay in the second division and the 5-0 to take us to the Premier League. Plymouth 1983 was up there but spoilt by the Yobs. Wigan to celebrate the `Great Escape` and Benjanis first goal. Cheltenham to get the `title` when we were top for less than 45 minutes that season and score six goals to cap it all. More recently the EFL Trophy final against Sunderland plus the semi final against Exeter, I managed to take my Grandson to both of those matches! We have had so many ups and downs as a Pompey Supporter, but when it gets in your blood it stays forever!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:14 am Lol to think we got allocated less than 2k tickets last weekend.

Probably prior to Sixfields? The County Ground was in the town and don't forget they were in Div1 (Premier) once upon a time!!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

eltorrro wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:30 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:14 am Lol to think we got allocated less than 2k tickets last weekend.

Probably prior to Sixfields? The County Ground was in the town and don't forget they were in Div1 (Premier) once upon a time!!
Only for one season and then they dropped back through the Leagues to Division Four rather to quickly without any administrations
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

My first goal at Fratton Park in 1949. The explosion of sound made me a sport addict for life.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

My memories revert back to my early days as a 5yo I was taken to FP by a neighbour.

It started with a bus ride from Copnor Road costing a whole 1d! If I remember correctly my entrance fee was 6d and we always went into the North stand where the neighbour would stand at the back with his friends and I would go down to the front and sit on the wall at the centre line along with other kids my age and size. Remember there was a sweet seller that used to come around carrying a tray of assorted items, one of which was a triangular bag containing some sort of cough sweet and I think they cost 1d.
Remember the half time score board at the Milton end..couldn't fathom that out until I was told you needed a programme for the relevant teams!
Being that young I don't believe I fully understood the game of football..all I know is the atmosphere, the day out and the roar of the crowd when Pompey scored stayed with me, and I hated it when we played away because I couldn't go.
Happy Days!! 8)
Selsey Fan
Gary O'Neil
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Selsey Fan »

eltorrro wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:30 am

Yes it was at the County Ground (I was there too and remember waiting on the pitch for the final scores to be confirmed) which only had 3 sides to the ground (cricket square on the fourth). Northampton saw the opportunity for extra income and sold us the 8,000 tickets. It was my first away game :D
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

pompeygunner wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:15 am Northampton away May 1980. I was amongst 8k Pompey fans to see us win 2-0 & clinch promotion. Wonderful day.
Me too Gunner :D
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Reading these posts brings back really good memories and listed like they are here makes it appear like we have been on a long glorious run. Supporting a team like Pompey there are more downs than ups and when something good comes along we cherish it. Supporters of clubs like Manchester United & City, Liverpool, Arsenal and so on view the coming season expecting to win something and when they don't it is a catastrophe. I don't know if I could recall my favourite moment because those stand out moments were such a joy at the time. Like Mendes scoring that goal against City, the sheer bliss as Fratton Park erupted was something I will treasure for ever. Like someone else said I thought I would ever see Pompey win the Cup, in fact I never thought they would even after I had gone to the Big Stadium in the Sky. I used to watch Cup Finals thinking how brilliant it must be for your club to win the Cup, I generally watched in envy. Although I thought the actual final itself was a bit of an anti climax but after the final whistle we were able to savour the fact our club had won the Cup. I think the quarter final at Old Trafford was a stand out moment in my footballing life. I remember getting stuck on the motorway and asking what the hell are we doing here. After all we knew United would get the dodgy penalty and all the decisions, then what happened, we got all the luck in the world and a very dodgy penalty. As someone else said our semi final against Spurs was another occasion to savour.

I do miss the days of going across the Gosport Ferry and getting the 'football specials' at the Hard and paying one shilling to get to the Mecca of Fratton Park. When the bus passed the Guildhall and catching the first sight of the floodlights the level of excitement and anticipation rose to a higher level. The smell of Woodbines and liniment mixing together, for some reason was an intoxicating scent. One thing could be brought back that I miss and that's the Pompey Chimes, not today's version, the proper one. The one that used to start up somewhere in the crowd which would then rise to a crescendo that went on so much longer and it made the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:14 am
Lol to think we got allocated less than 2k tickets last weekend.

Large open terraces I guess,also H&S was nothing like it is now. Plus pay on the day, no all ticket games. You turned up, you got in.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I echo quite a few of the memories people have posted.

Here are a couple more.

Both are FA cup replays under lights.

1967 against Hull a tense 2 2 draw after extra time with Pompey equalising near the end if I remember correctly. A big crowd for those days of 33000.

Then the following season versus Fulham. The biggest gate in all the time I have supported Pompey (44000). I was crushed in at the Fratton end.

For me these games involved a frantic dash in school uniform, over on the IoW ferry and up to Fratton on the train.

Always a dash to catch the last ferry back, especially after extra time. After the Hull game it was a surprise to meet up with my dad on the ferry. I hadn’t realised he was going but at least I got a lift home!