Bolton THE BIG MATCH

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Bolton THE BIG MATCH

Post by Sam_Brown »

I think the word for me is “team”. We’ve had on paper teams full of individuals who are good over the years but this season feels like the first time we’ve played consistently as a team for a long time.

That never say die attitude and desire to win at all costs isn’t something that can be easily taught so credit has to go to the recruitment team and management for bringing in the right sort of players and instilling that mentality across the squad. It’s one of those intangibles that a manager needs to be able to get the best out of players and I think Mou has it. Just the way he talks in his media appearances instills confidence and ambition to get the best out of the current squad we have.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

StMonkton wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:07 pm Lots of praise for the management from me.

A depleted squad through injury might have meant a big dent in our fortunes but revised tactics and good use of ‘fringe’ players have been a revelation.

Sometimes in football a manager just seems to get more out of a team than seems likely. Looks so far as though that’s what’s happening at Fratton.

That’s why football on the grass means more than on paper.

Let’s not get carried away but so far, so good.

PUP.
I actually think that a good manager has to have the ability to get the best out what he has at his disposal. Some people seem to think a good manager is one that spends loads of money and is, more importantly, foreign. Would Pepe Guardiola won that game last night for Pompey, or Bolton, if he was manager?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Interesting to see Evatt is still very unhappy with the performance at our place he is saying he cannot accept mediocrity which is fair enough. Having said that the same could be said about our performance v Blackpool. However JM called it just a blip and moved on without criticising the players and we went on to win an important game. Perhaps the Blackpool Game was the kick up the backside we needed to make sure we didnt repeat our mistakes? So whether Evatt is over reacting is a matter of opinion but thats down to them.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

jam tomorrow wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:00 am Interesting to see Evatt is still very unhappy with the performance at our place he is saying he cannot accept mediocrity which is fair enough. Having said that the same could be said about our performance v Blackpool. However JM called it just a blip and moved on without criticising the players and we went on to win an important game. Perhaps the Blackpool Game was the kick up the backside we needed to make sure we didnt repeat our mistakes? So whether Evatt is over reacting is a matter of opinion but thats down to them.

Is seems to me a matter of man management to a large degree. Mousinho seems to have excellent man management skills, which he had in place before he became a manager. This is one thing that he doesn't need to develop in his management learning curve, which is one of the reasons why he has hit the ground running in his first management job. Evatt is used to seeing his team turn over sides this season, while our results have probably been more closer affairs, and to come up against a side that wouldn't be overrun was a rude awakening. Bolton supporters generally see it as a wake up call and accept they were beaten by a better team. A couple of them registered post claiming Pompey are the best team they have played this season and claiming they are the best team in the league. One suggested that it was a good thing that they lost to Pompey because their team couldn't go through the whole season beating all in sight. He actually said "I am bizarrely glad we lost this game rather than to someone like Carlisle at home. We had to lose a some stage so losing away to the best team in the league is much better".

Apparently Kenny Jackett's style of management is totally different to John Mousinho where he was aloof from the players with the only player contact was training and team meetings. Each to their own I suppose but Mousinho seems to be doing something right. I would think the real test will be is if we have a run of bad results and how he handles that scenario. He has instilled a team spirit that he seems very much a part of.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

It’s not just Moushinos handling of the players but also his connection with the fans
Last night he turned up at the club carol service at Fratton Park was happy to have pictures taken with the young fans there we have 2 chuffed grandchildren as a result
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

" Each to their own I suppose but Mousinho seems to be doing something right. I would think the real test will be is if we have a run of bad results and how he handles that scenario. He has instilled a team spirit that he seems very much a part of."

True BW all credit to JM and his team but just importantly I believe we have a strong core of players who are determined and have the mentality to succeed. Unfair to name players but led by Pack on the field, they have the best attitude from a Pompey team ive seen for a long time. This spirit will take us far I'm sure.
What I would say about Evatt is I also think he is also covering up for his mistakes he quoted he had trained his team to concentrate on our weaknesses that he saw in the Blackpool game. Surely he is not naive to think JM wouldn't recognise these faults and make sure they didnt happen again?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

jam tomorrow wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:14 am " Each to their own I suppose but Mousinho seems to be doing something right. I would think the real test will be is if we have a run of bad results and how he handles that scenario. He has instilled a team spirit that he seems very much a part of."

True BW all credit to JM and his team but just importantly I believe we have a strong core of players who are determined and have the mentality to succeed. Unfair to name players but led by Pack on the field, they have the best attitude from a Pompey team ive seen for a long time. This spirit will take us far I'm sure.
What I would say about Evatt is I also think he is also covering up for his mistakes he quoted he had trained his team to concentrate on our weaknesses that he saw in the Blackpool game. Surely he is not naive to think JM wouldn't recognise these faults and make sure they didnt happen again?

Yes I think you are right. The weaknesses is on our left side where they seemed to concentrate their attacks. It is evident to most of us that Sparkes is our weakest defensive point but one of our strongest outlets going forward. If he is kept busy on that side of the pitch defending, where our most likely vulnerability is, his forward forays would also be curtailed.That I think is a reasonable plan but it came unstuck because Lane had been switched to the left and was able to help Sparkes out. Whether Mousinho sees that as a better for Lane in an attacking sense or his defending capability is another question.

Sometimes I wonder whether teams should just play their normal game and let the opposition do the worrying. It seems that 'plans' are a hinderence when you have success without having to change your normal game that has bought success. This seems to be apparent of Bolton on Monday.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:54 am
jam tomorrow wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:14 am " Each to their own I suppose but Mousinho seems to be doing something right. I would think the real test will be is if we have a run of bad results and how he handles that scenario. He has instilled a team spirit that he seems very much a part of."

Yes I think you are right. The weaknesses is on our left side where they seemed to concentrate their attacks. It is evident to most of us that Sparkes is our weakest defensive point but one of our strongest outlets going forward. If he is kept busy on that side of the pitch defending, where our most likely vulnerability is, his forward forays would also be curtailed.That I think is a reasonable plan but it came unstuck because Lane had been switched to the left and was able to help Sparkes out. Whether Mousinho sees that as a better for Lane in an attacking sense or his defending capability is another question.

Sometimes I wonder whether teams should just play their normal game and let the opposition do the worrying. It seems that 'plans' are a hinderence when you have success without having to change your normal game that has bought success. This seems to be apparent of Bolton on Monday.
Playing Sparkes is a double edged sword if we could find a player in the transfer window who could defend well and has the crossing ability of Sparkes it would give us more strength. We definitely need a better sub keeper though if Norris gets knocked we will be fooked.
-- Diane Johnson
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:31 am
jam tomorrow wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:00 am Interesting to see Evatt is still very unhappy with the performance at our place he is saying he cannot accept mediocrity which is fair enough. Having said that the same could be said about our performance v Blackpool. However JM called it just a blip and moved on without criticising the players and we went on to win an important game. Perhaps the Blackpool Game was the kick up the backside we needed to make sure we didnt repeat our mistakes? So whether Evatt is over reacting is a matter of opinion but thats down to them.

Is seems to me a matter of man management to a large degree. Mousinho seems to have excellent man management skills, which he had in place before he became a manager. This is one thing that he doesn't need to develop in his management learning curve, which is one of the reasons why he has hit the ground running in his first management job. Evatt is used to seeing his team turn over sides this season, while our results have probably been more closer affairs, and to come up against a side that wouldn't be overrun was a rude awakening. Bolton supporters generally see it as a wake up call and accept they were beaten by a better team. A couple of them registered post claiming Pompey are the best team they have played this season and claiming they are the best team in the league. One suggested that it was a good thing that they lost to Pompey because their team couldn't go through the whole season beating all in sight. He actually said "I am bizarrely glad we lost this game rather than to someone like Carlisle at home. We had to lose a some stage so losing away to the best team in the league is much better".

Apparently Kenny Jackett's style of management is totally different to John Mousinho where he was aloof from the players with the only player contact was training and team meetings. Each to their own I suppose but Mousinho seems to be doing something right. I would think the real test will be is if we have a run of bad results and how he handles that scenario. He has instilled a team spirit that he seems very much a part of.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Let’s hope we don’t find out!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I don't think that Mousinho will be looking at the left full back position in the next window. Ogilvie is by far the better a defender than Sparkes in the left back spot so I think that, with a fit Ogilvie, we are covered. Mousinho's problem would be is what to do with Sparkes because he has become an intrinsic part of the creative part of the team while being a weakness at full back. Sparkes is the only Pompey player to be found on the League One 'assists' top ten table so his value is very much more attacking wise than defence. I agree about the goalkeeping situation but that is the problem these days where clubs operate without an active second team, or the reserves in old speak.

I think this next window has to be about the here and now and not about finding 'gems' for the future or with an eye to next season. I think the need is to shore up where we are weakest and, if possible, bring in better than we have. I think the striking area needs reinforcements and I think we need more pace up front and midfield.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think it's a bit disrespectful to say Sparkes is a weak link, haven't we just kept three clean sheets on the spin? Plus all the games unbeaten before Blackpool where he played a lot of those games.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:34 pm I think it's a bit disrespectful to say Sparkes is a weak link, haven't we just kept three clean sheets on the spin? Plus all the games unbeaten before Blackpool where he played a lot of those games.
I don’t think so it’s quite obvious even the opposition know he is weak at defending, so plan to attack us on that basis so we are not being disrespectful it’s a fact. In the same breath we are also saying he is one of the best crossers of the ball in this league and his assists are one of the reasons why we are doing so well. So it all balances itself out doesn’t it ?
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:34 pm I think it's a bit disrespectful to say Sparkes is a weak link, haven't we just kept three clean sheets on the spin? Plus all the games unbeaten before Blackpool where he played a lot of those games.

How is it disrespectful to say that in my opinion, and others including our opponents, think Sparkes is our weak link in our defence? I think that Rafferty is a class act at full back in our team and a solid defensive performer at League One level. If he played in the Premiership with Manchester City he would be seen as a weak link in their side. Is that being disrespectful?

Sparkes came from Exeter with a reputation of being a poor defender but a brilliant crosser of the ball. We're they being disrespectful? I think he has lived up to that reputation but, although he was one of the players I thought of as uninspiring, I think he has proved to be an excellent acquisition because of his forward contribution. So much so, as I have already said, he is going to give Mousinho a headache when Ogilvie is fit because of his importance to the team, the only current Pompey player to figure in the League One assists table.

It is a matter of opinions and yours might well be that Sparkes is a good full back at League One level whereas I don't. I don't see that as disrespectful.
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

I think most would agree that Sparkes has improved his defensive abilities. The number of assists and chances he creates is a huge bonus and the occasional defensive lapse should be forgiven. Mousinho and his coaches are working on his defending. This area is much easier to improve than putting the ball on a mortar board sized target trom 35+ yards. It is easy to forget that Sparkes is still in his early 20s.

We have Oglivie as back up and he can cover central defence too.