Bolton THE BIG MATCH

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Bolton THE BIG MATCH

Post by jam tomorrow »

So who plays on Monday do we keep Robertson alongside Pack or Morrell or Pack and Morrell with Robertson at number 10 in place of Saydee? No doubt we need our stronget midfield Robertson has done a fantastic job alongside both Morrell and Pack. Do you we risk Sparkes against a high goal scoring side? My team is as follows I'm sure everybody will have different ideas.PUP

Norris
Raffs Rags Shauns Sparkes
Morrell Pack
Lane Yengi Robertson Kamara
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Bolton THE BIG MATCH

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think the side largely picks itself right now and you have probably nailed the selection.

the first choice for me is Robertson or Saydee at 10. There are good arguments either way.

If you select Saydee at ten then you have a second choice to make for the deeper midfield pairing: Pick two of three of Pack, Morrell and Robertson.

On balance I think Mousinho will go with the side you have picked - adding Robertson into a midfield 3 and this then gives Saydee the opportunity to come on from the bench for Yengi or into the no.10 role as needed

Subs to your starting eleven therefore of:

Schofield, Swanson, Towler, Devlin, Whyte, Mason, Saydee.

There are a couple of wild card options. What if Oglivie is fit? Or Bishop's ankle isn't as bad as they thought and he makes a surprise return to the bench? Mousinho has been pretty quiet about Oglivie and Bishop recently and I suspect a surprise is on the horizon.....
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I thought when we played Lane on the left Sparkes had more cover and was aided defensively. I would start with Saydee over Morrell (bring him on after 65 minues). Is it significent that Bolton`s two big home defeats were local derbies against Carlisle & Wigan (3-1 & 4-0) where the away side brought many thousands of fans with them to create quite a hostile atmosphere. Will they be able to cope with a vibrant Fratton Park under the lights?
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:30 am So who plays on Monday do we keep Robertson alongside Pack or Morrell or Pack and Morrell with Robertson at number 10 in place of Saydee? No doubt we need our stronget midfield Robertson has done a fantastic job alongside both Morrell and Pack. Do you we risk Sparkes against a high goal scoring side? My team is as follows I'm sure everybody will have different ideas.PUP

Norris
Raffs Rags Shauns Sparkes
Morrell Pack
Lane Yengi Robertson Kamara
I would only suggest that as with the last game we have Kamara on the right and Lane on the left if we play Sparkes as Lane provides great protection than Kamara
Ideally I’d want to see Ogilvie back for games like this or why not maybe if we worry about the left side play Towler there it reduces our attacking options but tightens up the defence
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Mousinho has confirmed today that Bishop is out for this game and for 3-4 weeks.

He did reveal though that Scully had been out on the grass and was likely to come back sooner than expected. He is now being pencilled in for the EFL Trophy game on 19th.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

I’d start with the same side that performed so well at Northampton TBH.

Puts a marker down to Joe M as well, getting sent off = no place in starting 11
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Mickemo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:22 pm I’d start with the same side that performed so well at Northampton TBH.

Puts a marker down to Joe M as well, getting sent off = no place in starting 11
Apart from that do we change a winning team ?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:37 pm
He did reveal though that Scully had been out on the grass and was likely to come back sooner than expected. He is now being pencilled in for the EFL Trophy game on 19th.
Well I’m really excited at the prospect of that happening (not)
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:58 pm
To be fair, Scully showed some glimpses of why we signed him before he got crocked unlike Whyte who has yet to show anything. When you look at our other signings, you may wonder why we signed them but their career records prior to us have been impressive.
Perhaps they will kick on when they return to the squad. Sometimes, players take a while to click. Hirst is a case example. He was pretty awful in his first few games before it all came together. In the end, we were desperate to keep him.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Dinksy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:32 am
To be fair, Scully showed some glimpses of why we signed him before he got crocked unlike Whyte who has yet to show anything. When you look at our other signings, you may wonder why we signed them but their career records prior to us have been impressive.
Perhaps they will kick on when they return to the squad. Sometimes, players take a while to click. Hirst is a case example. He was pretty awful in his first few games before it all came together. In the end, we were desperate to keep him.
For once in a blue moon I agree with you.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:17 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:32 am
For once in a blue moon I agree with you.
Oh come on, GB, you can do better than that.
Christmas spriit doesn't officially start til next week.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Really enjoyable game so far. More of the same second half please! I hope we don’t start to sit back now we’ve taken the lead.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:49 pm Really enjoyable game so far. More of the same second half please! I hope we don’t start to sit back now we’ve taken the lead.
Yes a very good game even if it was still 0-0. Even better now :thumb Both teams trying to play decent football. Kamara is growing in confidence. Sparkes having a pretty good game as well.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Lovely delivery from Sparkes and a very well timed run and head from Shaughnessy ! PUP!

Pretty decent and even game, need to see more of Lane and Robertson on the ball.

19 for them looks to have the legs on Pack so we need to watch that 2nd half
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Great match little between the sides . Yengi looking good, Robertson a little subdued, Pack & Morrell doing all right Sparkes defending well and what a cross for the goal. Norris great save and distribution good. Centre Halves really pressured, Lane & Rafferty playing well and Kamara has the full back in his pocket. More of the same in the second half please.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man