What did the neutral think last night?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: What did the neutral think last night?

Post by New Forester »

I mostly watch Premier and European football. Compared with that the standard in League one is way off. The technical ability of players is strikingly different. Having said that, I enjoy watching lower league matches. Sometimes possession football played like the old Barcelona and now Man City can be really boring at times. Despite the mistakes there was a lot of good football on Monday night. I just wish we didn’t have to wait so long before the game was wrapped up. Not good for us nervy types.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Yesterday I was speaking to a Birmingham City supporter and we got on to the subject of Monday's televised game. I asked if he found it good watch or boring. He said he found it a good watch and was impressed with Pompey's second half show and reckoned that the game was a good advert for League One. I must admit I was surprised by that but what surprised me more was who he picked out as the players he thought stood out for us. Not surprisingly he said Yengi but surprising to me he elected Sparkes as a standout player for his crossing.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:46 pm Yesterday I was speaking to a Birmingham City supporter and we got on to the subject of Monday's televised game. I asked if he found it good watch or boring. He said he found it a good watch and was impressed with Pompey's second half show and reckoned that the game was a good advert for League One. I must admit I was surprised by that but what surprised me more was who he picked out as the players he thought stood out for us. Not surprisingly he said Yengi but surprising to me he elected Sparkes as a standout player for his crossing.
It was a very good game to watch. Even the commentator said "brilliant football" after a Kamara move. The co-commentator was enjoying it as well. I know they're expected to try to make a game sound exciting but you can tell the difference.

Sparkes' crossing is excellent. Lee Dixon in the Chesterfield cup game said our best chance was to "get the ball to Sparkes, then get in the box quick because it's coming in". So he can definitely be a stand out player.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:06 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:46 pm Yesterday I was speaking to a Birmingham City supporter and we got on to the subject of Monday's televised game. I asked if he found it good watch or boring. He said he found it a good watch and was impressed with Pompey's second half show and reckoned that the game was a good advert for League One. I must admit I was surprised by that but what surprised me more was who he picked out as the players he thought stood out for us. Not surprisingly he said Yengi but surprising to me he elected Sparkes as a standout player for his crossing.
It was a very good game to watch. Even the commentator said "brilliant football" after a Kamara move. The co-commentator was enjoying it as well. I know they're expected to try to make a game sound exciting but you can tell the difference.

Sparkes' crossing is excellent. Lee Dixon in the Chesterfield cup game said our best chance was to "get the ball to Sparkes, then get in the box quick because it's coming in". So he can definitely be a stand out player.

I think it is always difficult to pass judgement on a team you are supporting in a balanced way. The only time an opposing player stands out is if they are particularly good or bad very often. I suppose it is a bit like when your team gets a corner and you think they probably won't score but an opposing supporter thinks your team probably will.

On another note I wouldn't like to guess how Mousinho is going to solve the Sparkes enigma when Ogilvie is fit. Sparkes can be a liability at defending but is an integral part of the attack. If I was to take a punt I think Mousinho will try and keep him in the side and try and negate his defensive shortcomings somehow. On Monday Lane helped out but to a certain degree it made him less effective in attack.