What did the neutral think last night?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

What did the neutral think last night?

Post by Blue Walter »

I wondered what the neutral viewer would have made of last nights televised game. On the face of it we had the current two best in League One but was this game a good advert for this league? My answer is that it wasn't in my opinion. The reason for this, I believe, is the way the two teams approached the game. Bolton are, quite possibly, the best footballing sides in this division with Pompey probably being one of the most powerful. The way I saw it was that Pompey set up to stop Bolton playing their normal game, which they succeeded in with knobs on. In doing so I think that it did clip some of the more eye catching fluent way we can play. We bossed & bullied Bolton into submission with graft, power and passion coupled with our most successful pressing game that I have seen at Fratton Park this season. This made it an edgey tactical game which detracted from the finer arts of the game.

I think there is no doubt that we deserved to win but I don't think the viewing public saw either team at their best. An almost full Fratton Park with the backing of the home support must have come over as impressive but the viewing public have more discerning tastes there days. People can view the best games with the biggest names in the biggest competitions so I wonder how League One came across to these football connoisseurs.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: What did the neutral think last night?

Post by Sam_Brown »

I thought it was great. Best “boring” game I’ve seen since Arsenal Vs Madrid that ended 0-0.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:15 pm I thought it was great. Best “boring” game I’ve seen since Arsenal Vs Madrid that ended 0-0.

Yes, but you are a Pompey supporter so, like me, so you would have enjoyed it. I was thinking more of how non Pompey or Bolton supporters saw it.

It was a bit like our Cup Final win where the general consensus was that it was a poor game for a national show piece. When the final whistle went we weren't bothered what anyone else thought because we had won the cup. Last night it meant we went 6 points clear of third place and beat our nearest rival but it wasn't a football feast by any means.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

No doubt for the neutral it was a boring spectacle my cousin in Croatia started watching it and he is a neutral and said all they are doing is running up and down so switched it off. No doubt both Pompey and Bolton have played football better than that but at the end of the day pretty football doesn't win you matches or indeed promotion. Better to win ugly than not at all however for the neutral they have better things to do with their lives, even our competitors thought we looked average we also made Bolton look average but we know thats not the case.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:34 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:15 pm I thought it was great. Best “boring” game I’ve seen since Arsenal Vs Madrid that ended 0-0.

Yes, but you are a Pompey supporter so, like me, so you would have enjoyed it. I was thinking more of how non Pompey or Bolton supporters saw it.

It was a bit like our Cup Final win where the general consensus was that it was a poor game for a national show piece. When the final whistle went we weren't bothered what anyone else thought because we had won the cup. Last night it meant we went 6 points clear of third place and beat our nearest rival but it wasn't a football feast by any means.
I found last nights game a lot more enjoyable than the cup final. I was being sarcastic when I said boring. I genuinely thought it was a good game to watch.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:13 pm I wondered what the neutral viewer would have made of last nights televised game. On the face of it we had the current two best in League One but was this game a good advert for this league? My answer is that it wasn't in my opinion. The reason for this, I believe, is the way the two teams approached the game. Bolton are, quite possibly, the best footballing sides in this division with Pompey probably being one of the most powerful. The way I saw it was that Pompey set up to stop Bolton playing their normal game, which they succeeded in with knobs on. In doing so I think that it did clip some of the more eye catching fluent way we can play. We bossed & bullied Bolton into submission with graft, power and passion coupled with our most successful pressing game that I have seen at Fratton Park this season. This made it an edgey tactical game which detracted from the finer arts of the game.

I think there is no doubt that we deserved to win but I don't think the viewing public saw either team at their best. An almost full Fratton Park with the backing of the home support must have come over as impressive but the viewing public have more discerning tastes there days. People can view the best games with the biggest names in the biggest competitions so I wonder how League One came across to these football connoisseurs.
I am not going to disagree with you Walter, but isnt that how you beat other teams. Bournemouth did it to Manure at the weekend and are being lauded for great tactics. Surely the art of being able to change your tactics to cancel out your opponent's strengths and still winning is a good thing? I thought there was a lot of good play from both teams, and some good technical football being played, most people think league one is punt and chase, so to showcase football and tactics cant be a bad thing can it?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Did we hugely change our tactics?

First half was entertaining, second half was professional, the score line probably should have been made comfortable earlier in the second half.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:45 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:13 pm I wondered what the neutral viewer would have made of last nights televised game. On the face of it we had the current two best in League One but was this game a good advert for this league? My answer is that it wasn't in my opinion. The reason for this, I believe, is the way the two teams approached the game. Bolton are, quite possibly, the best footballing sides in this division with Pompey probably being one of the most powerful. The way I saw it was that Pompey set up to stop Bolton playing their normal game, which they succeeded in with knobs on. In doing so I think that it did clip some of the more eye catching fluent way we can play. We bossed & bullied Bolton into submission with graft, power and passion coupled with our most successful pressing game that I have seen at Fratton Park this season. This made it an edgey tactical game which detracted from the finer arts of the game.

I am not going to disagree with you Walter, but isnt that how you beat other teams. Bournemouth did it to Manure at the weekend and are being lauded for great tactics. Surely the art of being able to change your tactics to cancel out your opponent's strengths and still winning is a good thing? I thought there was a lot of good play from both teams, and some good technical football being played, most people think league one is punt and chase, so to showcase football and tactics cant be a bad thing can it?
I understand all of that but that wasn't the question. Of course there are different ways of beating teams. Your opponents can be overwhelmed with your teams relentless attacks or totally stifled by negative tactics that nullify their threat. Or your team can be just simply filled with better players.

I wasn't talking about how we won or how Bolton lost just how the game was perceived from an entertainment point of view by the armchair pundit.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:45 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:34 pm

I found last nights game a lot more enjoyable than the cup final. I was being sarcastic when I said boring. I genuinely thought it was a good game to watch.
Yes Sam I am sure you did, I did as well, but as I said before, you are not a neutral bystander are you. I am talking about how the general Sky viewing public saw it. The game wasn't put on for the benefit of Bolton & Pompey supporters. It was aired because the two top teams of our league were playing each other with the prospect of a good match to watch. I wonder if it was seen as that.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:01 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:45 pm

I understand all of that but that wasn't the question. Of course there are different ways of beating teams. Your opponents can be overwhelmed with your teams relentless attacks or totally stifled by negative tactics that nullify their threat. Or your team can be just simply filled with better players.

I wasn't talking about how we won or how Bolton lost just how the game was perceived from an entertainment point of view by the armchair pundit.
but i guess its how you perceive entertaining Walter, if you like 2 teams that go gung ho at each other for 90 minutes, i guess last night wouldnt have been a great watch. If you prefer teams to try to play around each other then it would have been.
I dont think our tactics were negative in any way, but they certainly nullified boltons tactics
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:06 pm I am talking about how the general Sky viewing public saw it.
Well I then I think this is the wrong place to be asking if we are all biased!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

I was watching in a pub in Devon and the neutrals weren't much interested.
Mind you a few did look up from their frothy brews when they heard, (ahem), 'someone' scream "Yeeeeeaaaaaaassssss!"
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Not sure I am a neutral but I thought Pompey did a job and I thought the second goal gave a better reflection of the way the game had gone.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »