Just Supposing

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Just Supposing

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:08 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:56 am
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:20 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 pm I don't think we will change our approach too much, it just shifts up a tier - and I think the owners will be competitive if we get promoted. Remember their ambition is to be promoted.

Not bothered about the scummers what will be will be for them just want to see us finish the job this season.
Yes, I would hope the owners will step up their financial imput if we were to get promotion. It will be to what level is the question. I don't suppose it will be to the Ipswich level or try to compete with those clubs with parachute payments. I think that they will still be prudent but they will know that it is going to be that much tougher. That is why I think that players coming in will be much more expensive they will be expected to enhance what we already have here. The 'ones for the future' will come after we are established in our new surroundings in later seasons.

As for the derby, if there is going to be one, I wouldn't think the game at Fratton will be decided on class or ability.

Have Ipswich flashed the cash since getting promoted or is it mostly the same side?
No, they largely done that last season.
So why can't we?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:24 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:10 am One thing I wonder is does anyone know how long we have the University of Portsmouth as a sponsor? As a former alumni I'm going to be sad when we inevitably end up advertising someone else.
Eisner has said we turned down more lucrative offers when they first became sponsors because he feels its important for the city / the club.

So I think they will keep it as long as it's not silly money on offer from elsewhere I suspect there are other mutually agreeable things with this sponsorship too.
That was my worry. Being in the Championship would bring along more lucrative offers of sponsorship. I'd love to see the Uni still on the front of the kit so lets hope that continues.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:25 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 pm I don't think we will change our approach too much, it just shifts up a tier - and I think the owners will be competitive if we get promoted. Remember their ambition is to be promoted.

Not bothered about the scummers what will be will be for them just want to see us finish the job this season.
Yes, I would hope the owners will step up their financial imput if we were to get promotion. It will be to what level is the question. I don't suppose it will be to the Ipswich level or try to compete with those clubs with parachute payments. I think that they will still be prudent but they will know that it is going to be that much tougher. That is why I think that players coming in will be much more expensive they will be expected to enhance what we already have here. The 'ones for the future' will come after we are established in our new surroundings in later seasons.

As for the derby, if there is going to be one, I wouldn't think the game at Fratton will be decided on class or ability.

Have Ipswich flashed the cash since getting promoted or is it mostly the same side?
So why can't we?
There are probably reasons why we can't replicate Ipswich's formula or, indeed, that we can. I don't think our owners will have the same approach as the Ipswich owners who's vision is more immediate success in the short term. Whereas our owners follow the more pragmatic and futuristic view. Whether either is right or wrong is another question. Ipswich started building a Championship side last season whereas we have built a squad with League One very much in mind. Since our owners have come in they have conducted their business exactly as they said they would. A much slower and sustainable rebuild of the club and underpinning the infrastructure. Our progress has been much slower but it has seen improvement year on year to the point which saw our transfer budget in the summer non dependent of selling our best players. Ipswich, on the other hand, already had an infrastructure in place along with a decent stadium with the only missing ingredient being a decent team to go with it. Their owners first objective was to invest heavily in team strengthening and get promotion. So the difference between us and Ipswich is a chasm in regards of outlook.

Before I get lectures on the dangers that come with the Ipswich type of investment I do totally understand the inherent ramifications that can result in such a venture. What if the owners at Ipswich start to lose interest in the club, possibly due to not being as successful as they wanted? Or find it that their investment level is unsustainable and look to recover their losses. Our model is that the club in its present form is solvent and debt free. Lack of success would be a less shattering experience. If the club was to look for a new owner that person would be buying a going concern. Whereas clubs in the Ipswich situation would need an owner on that was willing to take on debt as well.

The Ipswich model is far more exciting than the Portsmouth model and if anyone can remember the early days of John Deacon will testify to that. I want our club to gain promotion and I want to succeed in the league above. What I do expect if we get promotion is scurrying around the lower reaches, especially in our first season back. But then this is football and unrealistically, as well as illogical, we could find ourselves challenging at the top. Who knows?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The other issue with Ipswich is that their owners did not have to spend mega bucks on their stadium, so it`s not an accurate comparison, but I accept a lot of what you have listed.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:06 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:25 am

So why can't we?
There are probably reasons why we can't replicate Ipswich's formula or, indeed, that we can. I don't think our owners will have the same approach as the Ipswich owners who's vision is more immediate success in the short term. Whereas our owners follow the more pragmatic and futuristic view. Whether either is right or wrong is another question. Ipswich started building a Championship side last season whereas we have built a squad with League One very much in mind. Since our owners have come in they have conducted their business exactly as they said they would. A much slower and sustainable rebuild of the club and underpinning the infrastructure. Our progress has been much slower but it has seen improvement year on year to the point which saw our transfer budget in the summer non dependent of selling our best players. Ipswich, on the other hand, already had an infrastructure in place along with a decent stadium with the only missing ingredient being a decent team to go with it. Their owners first objective was to invest heavily in team strengthening and get promotion. So the difference between us and Ipswich is a chasm in regards of outlook.

Before I get lectures on the dangers that come with the Ipswich type of investment I do totally understand the inherent ramifications that can result in such a venture. What if the owners at Ipswich start to lose interest in the club, possibly due to not being as successful as they wanted? Or find it that their investment level is unsustainable and look to recover their losses. Our model is that the club in its present form is solvent and debt free. Lack of success would be a less shattering experience. If the club was to look for a new owner that person would be buying a going concern. Whereas clubs in the Ipswich situation would need an owner on that was willing to take on debt as well.

The Ipswich model is far more exciting than the Portsmouth model and if anyone can remember the early days of John Deacon will testify to that. I want our club to gain promotion and I want to succeed in the league above. What I do expect if we get promotion is scurrying around the lower reaches, especially in our first season back. But then this is football and unrealistically, as well as illogical, we could find ourselves challenging at the top. Who knows?
I don't disagree with a lot of what you have said, but I do disagree with Ipswich built a squad with the championship on mind - I don't think they did. Look at some of their players and they have grown with the club... Several formally of this parish.

I'd also dispute that we have built a side with league one in mind - we have built a side of players with growing room. If we had a side of league one in mind would we not be full of has been journeymen who have got out of this league before? Micheal Smith et Al..
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

With respect, I wouldn't expect you to agree with anything I post so it is good to note some level of agreement.

Ipswich spent a lot of money getting in players that were the very best available to them in League One last season and the season before. It was never a case of affordability. They also bought in players from higher placed clubs as well, which put them beyond contention of any other club in our league with regards to spending. They were looking beyond League One for sure, failure to gain promotion wasn't on the agenda and they purchased accordingly. It was also a message that they preached to there own supporters too where their public utterances were that their plan was to build a side capable of competing in the Championship. That was while they resided in League One according to people I know from that area.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:10 pm With respect, I wouldn't expect you to agree with anything I post so it is good to note some level of agreement.

Ipswich spent a lot of money getting in players that were the very best available to them in League One last season and the season before. It was never a case of affordability. They also bought in players from higher placed clubs as well, which put them beyond contention of any other club in our league with regards to spending. They were looking beyond League One for sure, failure to gain promotion wasn't on the agenda and they purchased accordingly. It was also a message that they preached to there own supporters too where their public utterances were that their plan was to build a side capable of competing in the Championship. That was while they resided in League One according to people I know from that area.
We were looking at several of the players who Ipswich signed when they were still in league one we just decided we couldn't or I suspect more accurately wouldn't meet their demands.... So doesn't that suggest both clubs had the same intentions and shopping in a similar market. I just don't understand this belief we have bought league one players - we might have signed players from a league one side hit that doesn't mean league one is their ceiling.

If you hear from Pompey that we wouldn't look to be competitive in the championship and that we looked to build a league one team then, respectively, you might need to clean your ears a little.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Actually I think we did sign players that could play in the Championship in the summer, Poole being one. We may well have gone and looked at the same players as Ipswich because we also were looking to sign the best players we could. That being said Ipswich could afford them whilst we couldn't.

I don't quite get what you are driving at in your second paragraph. I think it is some sort of rebuke or slightly insulting comment but I can't work out what you are trying to say. I don't get where I why I need to wash my ears out. If it's something to do with you thinking that I don't consider we would be able to assemble a squad capable of competing in the Championship I haven't said that. When you say 'respectively' I assume you meant 'respectfully' which I would think wasn't really your intention.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:43 pm Actually I think we did sign players that could play in the Championship in the summer, Poole being one. We may well have gone and looked at the same players as Ipswich because we also were looking to sign the best players we could. That being said Ipswich could afford them whilst we couldn't.

I don't quite get what you are driving at in your second paragraph. I think it is some sort of rebuke or slightly insulting comment but I can't work out what you are trying to say. I don't get where I why I need to wash my ears out. If it's something to do with you thinking that I don't consider we would be able to assemble a squad capable of competing in the Championship I haven't said that. When you say 'respectively' I assume you meant 'respectfully' which I would think wasn't really your intention.
You said "Ipswich started building a Championship side last season whereas we have built a squad with League One very much in mind."

Which I disagree with, and the mantra from the club disagrees with - we are signing players just for league one.

We are signing players who can do a job now and have the potential to reach a far greater ceiling than league one. We spend money on players with the potential to go onto bigger and better things - hopefully with Pompey. We have one or two older heads but our average ages is something like 24.

They (JM and RH) have said at every opportunity they are looking for players who they believe can operate at this level and above.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I don't really disagree with you completely and I agree the we, and just about every club, look for the best players available to them. Clubs with a bigger transfer budgets will be able to look that bit further and, I would assume, you would agree that Ipswich have had a bigger transfer budget available to them than us for the last couple of seasons. That being the case they could spread their net further. Our transfer policy would have been restricted to the best players available to us from within the League One circuit and below that. Of course we have managed to unearth players that have th ability, in time, to play at Championship level. Our priority is to get out of this League and we have bought players in accordingly. This is where I think we fundamentally disagree and that is that Ipswich were in a position to attract players who were at Championship level and could have gone to Championship clubs, whereas we couldn't. I think their philosophy was that they were going to get promoted and they would pay whatever they needed to do to achieve that. Our philosophy is that we hope to get promotion and that the side we have assembled within our financial restraints is capable of doing achieving that.

However I would like an explanation where you suggest I should get my ears cleaned out. It was obviously meant in a derogatory way which, if I may say, is unusual for you as you normally construct your post in a civil manner without sinking to that level. Maybe you have taken umbrage to me for having the temerity to slightly disagree with you.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:16 pm I don't really disagree with you completely and I agree the we, and just about every club, look for the best players available to them. Clubs with a bigger transfer budgets will be able to look that bit further and, I would assume, you would agree that Ipswich have had a bigger transfer budget available to them than us for the last couple of seasons. That being the case they could spread their net further. Our transfer policy would have been restricted to the best players available to us from within the League One circuit and below that. Of course we have managed to unearth players that have th ability, in time, to play at Championship level. Our priority is to get out of this League and we have bought players in accordingly. This is where I think we fundamentally disagree and that is that Ipswich were in a position to attract players who were at Championship level and could have gone to Championship clubs, whereas we couldn't. I think their philosophy was that they were going to get promoted and they would pay whatever they needed to do to achieve that. Our philosophy is that we hope to get promotion and that the side we have assembled within our financial restraints is capable of doing achieving that.

However I would like an explanation where you suggest I should get my ears cleaned out. It was obviously meant in a derogatory way which, if I may say, is unusual for you as you normally construct your post in a civil manner without sinking to that level. Maybe you have taken umbrage to me for having the temerity to slightly disagree with you.
Other than the players we signed from the Championship, and above, granted not starters. Just because a player is playing in league one doesn't mean that's his ceiling.

We signed 5 players from league one or below - if you count Scully from relegated Wigan. The rest were from clubs higher up the league with the exceptions of Devlin (wanted by championship clubs) and Yengi. Granted the others weren't first reamers - but if we were just concentrating on league one would we not have bought players who have been there and done it at this level, much like Sheffield Wednesday have done with the singing of Michael Smith last season and others.

You need to get your ears cleaned out because you seem to have this idea that we have signed players who's ceiling in league one, and that is all the club has it's eye on. The club has it's eyes on the future one and off the field more than it ever has done - the club doesn't make a secret of they types of players we are looking for, the type of business we want to do - all the sound bites are there.

I suspect your are choosing not to hear them because it doesn't fit the narrative, or scratch the itch for there to be something wrong. This is one of the best times to be a Pompey fan, for us now, for us for the future and hopefully for future generations to come.

Do I think this current squad will be second in the championship next season? Probably not - could they be? Yes, it happens fairly often in the championship and momentum is a funny old thing. A few shrewd (doesn't mean cheap) and who knows what can happen . Just enjoy it.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:25 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:16 pm I don't really disagree with you completely and I agree the we, and just about every club, look for the best players available to them. Clubs with a bigger transfer budgets will be able to look that bit further and, I would assume, you would agree that Ipswich have had a bigger transfer budget available to them than us for the last couple of seasons. That being the case they could spread their net further. Our transfer policy would have been restricted to the best players available to us from within the League One circuit and below that. Of course we have managed to unearth players that have th ability, in time, to play at Championship level. Our priority is to get out of this League and we have bought players in accordingly. This is where I think we fundamentally disagree and that is that Ipswich were in a position to attract players who were at Championship level and could have gone to Championship clubs, whereas we couldn't. I think their philosophy was that they were going to get promoted and they would pay whatever they needed to do to achieve that. Our philosophy is that we hope to get promotion and that the side we have assembled within our financial restraints is capable of doing achieving that.

Other than the players we signed from the Championship, and above, granted not starters. Just because a player is playing in league one doesn't mean that's his ceiling.

You need to get your ears cleaned out because you seem to have this idea that we have signed players who's ceiling in league one, and that is all the club has it's eye on. The club has it's eyes on the future one and off the field more than it ever has done - the club doesn't make a secret of they types of players we are looking for, the type of business we want to do - all the sound bites are there.

I suspect your are choosing not to hear them because it doesn't fit the narrative, or scratch the itch for there to be something wrong. This is one of the best times to be a Pompey fan, for us now, for us for the future and hopefully for future generations to come.

Do I think this current squad will be second in the championship next season? Probably not - could they be? Yes, it happens fairly often in the championship and momentum is a funny old thing. A few shrewd (doesn't mean cheap) and who knows what can happen . Just enjoy it.

You clearly don't read my posts because you have added content to them that I haven't said. I haven't said that League One was our celling for players, although a majority are from this league. Please point out where I have said that. I think you are looking for reasons to disagree, or that's how it appears. If you look on an earlier post of mine I have suggested that we could fly in the league above. 'Scratching the itch' looking for something wrong? I haven't even said there is anything wrong. In fact there is obviously a lot right when you look where we are.

I think you are reading between the lines and coming up with a different meaning because, as you say, this is one of the better times to be a Pompey fan. Certainly in recent years its the best. What I don't quite get is that I don't really disagree with much of what you have said and, conversely, you have posted much of what I have said as well. So I don't really see the necessity for derogatory responses from your good self.