Just Supposing

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Just Supposing

Post by Blue Walter »

Just supposing we made it to the Championship we would be rubbing shoulders with clubs not long out of the Premiership with all the money that entails. I would think that there are 6 or 7 clubs still benefitting from parachute payments along with well established Championship clubs who will have a core of Championship class players already in their ranks. We don't know how much money the owners would invest into our club and how competitive financially we will be. Our transfer policy would have to change somewhat, I would think, in terms of the players we bring in. I don't think our return to the Championship will allow us to concern ourselves with bringing in 'gems' for the future for a season or two. We will need players who are able to keep us in the Championship so we won't have the luxury of bringing players on. I don't think we are over blessed with players that are Championship ready, possibly no more than 5 or 6 in my view.

Now I am not saying all this in a negative vein or suggesting we should stay where we are. Without the prospect of playing at a higher level to aim for there would be no point in competing in any league. I am just pointing out the obvious really but the main plot of my post is asking the question do we really want to be playing Southampton next season? They have a team that has still got Premiership class players in their team plus top Championship class players. As things stand they are at least a class above us so would we want the embarrassment of a couple of wallopings while we try to make our way in the league above? On the other hand derby games are like cup ties where form and class go out the window very often. So I ask do we want Saints in the Championship or not next season?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Just Supposing

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I don't think we will change our approach too much, it just shifts up a tier - and I think the owners will be competitive if we get promoted. Remember their ambition is to be promoted.

Not bothered about the scummers what will be will be for them just want to see us finish the job this season.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:59 pm Just supposing we made it to the Championship we would be rubbing shoulders with clubs not long out of the Premiership with all the money that entails. I would think that there are 6 or 7 clubs still benefitting from parachute payments along with well established Championship clubs who will have a core of Championship class players already in their ranks. We don't know how much money the owners would invest into our club and how competitive financially we will be. Our transfer policy would have to change somewhat, I would think, in terms of the players we bring in. I don't think our return to the Championship will allow us to concern ourselves with bringing in 'gems' for the future for a season or two. We will need players who are able to keep us in the Championship so we won't have the luxury of bringing players on. I don't think we are over blessed with players that are Championship ready, possibly no more than 5 or 6 in my view.

Now I am not saying all this in a negative vein or suggesting we should stay where we are. Without the prospect of playing at a higher level to aim for there would be no point in competing in any league. I am just pointing out the obvious really but the main plot of my post is asking the question do we really want to be playing Southampton next season? They have a team that has still got Premiership class players in their team plus top Championship class players. As things stand they are at least a class above us so would we want the embarrassment of a couple of wallopings while we try to make our way in the league above? On the other hand derby games are like cup ties where form and class go out the window very often. So I ask do we want Saints in the Championship or not next season?
Fact...Soton WILL be in Championship next season

Supposition...Pompey will be in Championship next season :roll:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

On average League 1 winners finish about 12th. While there are ex prem clubs vying for promotion back to the top tier I don’t think it’s the scary place many think it is.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

eltorrro wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:27 pm

I think you would be more accurate to say supposition Saints will be in the championship next season given the play off option.

I think Pompey WILL get promotion .
Ps Didnt say I liked the idea but it will happen.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 pm I don't think we will change our approach too much, it just shifts up a tier - and I think the owners will be competitive if we get promoted. Remember their ambition is to be promoted.

Not bothered about the scummers what will be will be for them just want to see us finish the job this season.
Yes, I would hope the owners will step up their financial imput if we were to get promotion. It will be to what level is the question. I don't suppose it will be to the Ipswich level or try to compete with those clubs with parachute payments. I think that they will still be prudent but they will know that it is going to be that much tougher. That is why I think that players coming in will be much more expensive they will be expected to enhance what we already have here. The 'ones for the future' will come after we are established in our new surroundings in later seasons.

As for the derby, if there is going to be one, I wouldn't think the game at Fratton will be decided on class or ability.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

itsaintfunny wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:43 pm
eltorrro wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:27 pm

I think you would be more accurate to say supposition Saints will be in the championship next season given the play off option.

I think Pompey WILL get promotion .
Ps Didnt say I liked the idea but it will happen.
My Saints supporting friends have told me that you won't be in the Championship next season. They have shifted from abject apathy to unbounded enthusiasm in a few short weeks. Are you a regular at St Mary's?
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Playing Devil's Advocate, but the owners have always said progress has to be sustainable.

That being the case, if we were to get promoted this season, other than increasing ticket prices, where exactly are the additional millions going to appear from to buy and pay a Championship level squad?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:20 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 pm I don't think we will change our approach too much, it just shifts up a tier - and I think the owners will be competitive if we get promoted. Remember their ambition is to be promoted.

Yes, I would hope the owners will step up their financial imput if we were to get promotion. It will be to what level is the question. I don't suppose it will be to the Ipswich level or try to compete with those clubs with parachute payments. I think that they will still be prudent but they will know that it is going to be that much tougher. That is why I think that players coming in will be much more expensive they will be expected to enhance what we already have here. The 'ones for the future' will come after we are established in our new surroundings in later seasons.

As for the derby, if there is going to be one, I wouldn't think the game at Fratton will be decided on class or ability.

Have Ipswich flashed the cash since getting promoted or is it mostly the same side?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:55 pm Playing Devil's Advocate, but the owners have always said progress has to be sustainable.

That being the case, if we were to get promoted this season, other than increasing ticket prices, where exactly are the additional millions going to appear from to buy and pay a Championship level squad?
The owners have been more than happy to plug the deficit while we are in league one, there is less huge (compared to what they have done already) capital expenses looming, until they rebuild the North Stand. My personal view is they will make some additional money available if we get promoted as they have done since arriving but I don't think they will go wild and I don't think they will need to. I don't think you have to break the bank to get settled into the Championship. Consolidate and then build again.

Look at Luton.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:56 am
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:20 pm

Have Ipswich flashed the cash since getting promoted or is it mostly the same side?
No, they largely done that last season.
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:59 pm Just supposing we made it to the Championship we would be rubbing shoulders with clubs not long out of the Premiership with all the money that entails. I would think that there are 6 or 7 clubs still benefitting from parachute payments along with well established Championship clubs who will have a core of Championship class players already in their ranks. We don't know how much money the owners would invest into our club and how competitive financially we will be. Our transfer policy would have to change somewhat, I would think, in terms of the players we bring in. I don't think our return to the Championship will allow us to concern ourselves with bringing in 'gems' for the future for a season or two. We will need players who are able to keep us in the Championship so we won't have the luxury of bringing players on. I don't think we are over blessed with players that are Championship ready, possibly no more than 5 or 6 in my view.

What are we supposed to do now then? Abandon the quest for promotion and remain in league 1 ? We will never find out how good the team and management are unless we progress upwards. Yes we may get battered week after week by teams with better players, but even in the lower leagues that happens. I watched a Pompey side all through the 1970s which sat in the lower third of league 2 often, but they eventually came good. The Eisners appear to be in this for the long term and are spending the money wisely and methodically. I just want to see our team higher up the football pyramid, maybe one day return to the top league, but unless we progress, it isn’t going to happen.
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Rjk66 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:13 am

What are we supposed to do now then? Abandon the quest for promotion and remain in league 1 ? We will never find out how good the team and management are unless we progress upwards. Yes we may get battered week after week by teams with better players, but even in the lower leagues that happens. I watched a Pompey side all through the 1970s which sat in the lower third of league 2 often, but they eventually came good. The Eisners appear to be in this for the long term and are spending the money wisely and methodically. I just want to see our team higher up the football pyramid, maybe one day return to the top league, but unless we progress, it isn’t going to happen.

Hang on, hold your horses. Nowhere was I suggesting that we don't get promoted or that I didn't want our club to get promoted. I was, of course, stating the obvious which was a build up to the core of the post. That core was asking if there is a preference where Southampton, in isolation, was next season taking the differentials into account.

I also accept that the Eisner's are in this for the long haul and that they too want the club to progress. Their vision is progress with sustainability, which means they won't be throwing money at the club for playing staff. They will give the club a chance with a bigger playing budget than they have in the past but being at a higher level will dictate that anyway. However, football being the game it is could see us flying in the league above but until we get there we will never know.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

One thing I wonder is does anyone know how long we have the University of Portsmouth as a sponsor? As a former alumni I'm going to be sad when we inevitably end up advertising someone else.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:10 am One thing I wonder is does anyone know how long we have the University of Portsmouth as a sponsor? As a former alumni I'm going to be sad when we inevitably end up advertising someone else.
Eisner has said we turned down more lucrative offers when they first became sponsors because he feels its important for the city / the club.

So I think they will keep it as long as it's not silly money on offer from elsewhere I suspect there are other mutually agreeable things with this sponsorship too.