George Edmundson

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

George Edmundson

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Centre back we nearly but he went to Ipswich being linked with a loan move for him.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: George Edmundson

Post by Mickemo »

I’d be fine with this as a loan TBH, he is fairly quick
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Mickemo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:49 pm I’d be fine with this as a loan TBH, he is fairly quick
I could see this as a permanent signing given that Regen Poole is not likely to be fully fit at the start of next season and that Raggs is out of contract this summer too.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:15 pm Raggs is out of contract this summer too.
I really hope Raggett is given/offered a new end of season contract especially if we don't achieve promotion.
He has been the mainstay of our defence this season; yes, he's a bit ponderous but so effective in the air. I don't think any of our attack would stand a chance against him. Maybe let him go if we are promoted but otherwise keep him.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:39 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:15 pm Raggs is out of contract this summer too.
I really hope Raggett is given/offered a new end of season contract especially if we don't achieve promotion.
He has been the mainstay of our defence this season; yes, he's a bit ponderous but so effective in the air. I don't think any of our attack would stand a chance against him. Maybe let him go if we are promoted but otherwise keep him.

I agree. If we don't go up Raggett will be crucial next season as he is a top League One player. However, if we do go up I think he could struggle in the Championship due to his lack of pace and general footballing ability. Having said that he is a handy player to call on if we are chasing a goal as a makeshift centre forward with his ability in the air.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I don't disagree with the positivity about Raggett but as good as Raggett has been for the club I'd ask people to remember that he will be 31yo before the end of the season. I wouldn't rule Raggett out from returning but as a 31yo free agent he might be looking for his last big contract/payout and to get as many years on his contract as he can. That could be a difficult combination for Pompey.

Edmundson is five years younger than Raggs and has a higher ceiling in terms of his ability to play in the Championship.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:03 pm I don't disagree with the positivity about Raggett but as good as Raggett has been for the club I'd ask people to remember that he will be 31yo before the end of the season. I wouldn't rule Raggett out from returning but as a 31yo free agent he might be looking for his last big contract/payout and to get as many years on his contract as he can. That could be a difficult combination for Pompey.

Edmundson is five years younger than Raggs and has a higher ceiling in terms of his ability to play in the Championship.

I would agree with that argument if Edmondson was coming here on a permanent basis and not a loan.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:21 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:03 pm I don't disagree with the positivity about Raggett but as good as Raggett has been for the club I'd ask people to remember that he will be 31yo before the end of the season. I wouldn't rule Raggett out from returning but as a 31yo free agent he might be looking for his last big contract/payout and to get as many years on his contract as he can. That could be a difficult combination for Pompey.

I would agree with that argument if Edmondson was coming here on a permanent basis and not a loan.
I suspect there would be a deal to be done - especially if they were to be promoted to the Premier League.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I see that Edmundson is starting in central defence for Ipswich on New Years Day away at Stoke.

It is only his third appearance for Ipswich this season in the Championship