Alex Robertson to Everton????

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Alex Robertson to Everton????

Post by RubiconCSL »

The following story seems to be doing the rounds. Everton are keen on Robertson by the look of things.

Everton are now ‘closely following’ wonderkid from PL club following strong form

I've not been to a live game for some years now, I'm sad to say. Is he that good? If Citeh have loaned him to a L1 club, would a jump up to a PL club be too soon for him (I hope so)? Hopefully, at this stage of his career, he and Citeh will see the rest of this season at FP as better for his progression - he's still only 20.

I guess that's the trouble with loanees - on the one side, you get a player who is way better than L1, but as a loanee, he can be called back at any time. We've certainly seen this sort of thing shoot us in the foot in recent seasons. But, at least we don't look to have so many this season.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Alex Robertson to Everton????

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

He has looked exceptional until recently. I think it is just paper talk, at least I hope so!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:04 pm He has looked exceptional until recently. I think it is just paper talk, at least I hope so!
Exceptional? I wouldn't give him that much kudos..in our current team above average maybe. I think an exceptional player would get MoM every game but that hasn't been the case for Robertson. I was hoping he would be the one producing exciting forward thrusting runs and penetrating passes but no, that doesn't happen very often. Maybe he would become much more inclined to be that type of player within a better set-up and Everton are looking to the future. I've seen him described as 'wonder kid'..nope, not in my opinion.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:18 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:04 pm He has looked exceptional until recently. I think it is just paper talk, at least I hope so!
Exceptional? I wouldn't give him that much kudos..in our current team above average maybe. I think an exceptional player would get MoM every game but that hasn't been the case for Robertson. I was hoping he would be the one producing exciting forward thrusting runs and penetrating passes but no, that doesn't happen very often. Maybe he would become much more inclined to be that type of player within a better set-up and Everton are looking to the future. I've seen him described as 'wonder kid'..nope, not in my opinion.
He spent a big part of the season as one of a double pivot. Not the role that plays forward thirsting runs.

He will play at a high level for most of his career he has all the traits to be a huge success. You can see the 'man city' in him - sure he's had a few off games but what player doesn't?

I'm not sure the premier league is the level he is at right now, but he could hold his own in the championship and he wouldn't look out of place coming on for minutes here and there in they Man City team.

All part of the production line - Cole Palmer couldn't get in their side...
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Paper talk for me.

Everton are in a fight for survival in the Premiership given the 10pt deduction - and if they overturn that deduction then they are in a fight for European places - and I can't see Robertson being a player that suddenly impacts Everton's match squad.

Given that he is a young talented player who is getting his first experience of first team football in England I'd be surprised if teams higher up were not taking note and scouting him accordingly. I mean this not as a slight on Robertson but he's not ready for the Premiership at this time.