Colby's comments

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Colby's comments

Post by Dinksy »

Post Stevenage he lays into the 'slander' he reckons he has had by fans.
Fair or over the top?
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Colby's comments

Post by Betelgeuse »

I think he's justified in his comments to a degree, but 'slander' is not correct. Fans are entitled to their opinion and maybe he needs to develop a thicker skin. He has missed a few sitters recently, the good thing is he's in the position to miss them. The majority of fans back him and the team, what better way to give a STFU to the minority than to get his scoring boots on again.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Typical `News` story making a big thing out of very little
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Depends on what he's heard (slander) and what's been written (libel). Some on here have written a few things like 'he's gone off a bit' but can't recall anybody really slating him calling him useless. Mostly he is reckoned to be the mainstay of the team and would hate to see him go and he just hasn't had the service.
Personally haven't read anything he has said but think he should accept a modicum of complaint considering.
Think it's a bit OTT for him if he has been saying he's been pilloried.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Thing is he says he'll do his talking on the pitch........but then continues with a long diatribe of complaints!
Yes, there have been observations about his dip in form but no-one has ever questioned his workrate so I thought 'slander' was a bit strong.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I listened to his interview and I think that he seemed he to think that he needed to put the 'record straight' more than anything else. I think 'slander' is an exaggeration on what he was saying, but he certainly feels aggrieved. He was quite complimentary about the majority of our support but noted that there were some that had 'slated' him.

Personally I think he is a great player whose talent is being wasted to a certain degree by being used in the way he is. That is obviously down to the way we play but, nevertheless, he works so hard and is an integral part of the team. I think he show cased how good a footballer he is with his first half display on Monday. Having said that I think he needs to grow a thicker skin, unless something has been said or done that we are not privy to.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Negative and even abusive comments go with the job of anyone involved in professional sport. It’s pointless making a public response. It gives critics the chance to create even more pressure. Must be something addressed by all sports psychologists available to teams these days.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I was surprised when I heard and it has obviously upset Colby. I read that he said that the abuse was coming from people online so perhaps the abuse was vile. Sad that people feel it is ok to contact players this way.

Looking for the silver lining here - and not justifying or excusing in any way any abuse he has received - but a determined Colby to make the boo-birds eat their words over the next few weeks isn't a bad thing: particularly with Yengi away on international duty for the forseeable.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:40 am I was surprised when I heard and it has obviously upset Colby. I read that he said that the abuse was coming from people online so perhaps the abuse was vile. Sad that people feel it is ok to contact players this way.

Looking for the silver lining here - and not justifying or excusing in any way any abuse he has received - but a determined Colby to make the boo-birds eat their words over the next few weeks isn't a bad thing: particularly with Yengi away on international duty for the forseeable.
"....boo-birds...." ??
That's a new one on me!

Just had a thought.......is that because of the...ehem...foul language?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Dinksy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:37 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:40 am I was surprised when I heard and it has obviously upset Colby. I read that he said that the abuse was coming from people online so perhaps the abuse was vile. Sad that people feel it is ok to contact players this way.

"....boo-birds...." ??
That's a new one on me!

You must be in cloud cuckoo land!
PompeyExpat
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by PompeyExpat »

Is it coming down to saying Don’t say anything negative about a player as it will hurt their feelings? Christ I hope not! I don’t like it when fans start getting personal about a player they don’t like, but these are a minority. I moan about players from time to time but certainly don’t attack them. These are professional players who are in the public eye, who should rise above any criticism, if they want to lash out then do it in the changing room or at home, by showing it on the field, he’s reaction to not celebrate and hold his hands to his ears was to the whole crowd! Stay classy Colby, 99% of us are behind you mate.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Dinksy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:37 pm

"....boo-birds...." ??
That's a new one on me!

https://popeye.fandom.com/wiki/Boo-Birds

It is used in North America sporting circles quite often. It is defined as a home fan at a sporting event who boos one or more members of the home team.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

From Popeye, no less. AKA the sailorman.
Could be an expression made for Pompey fans.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Dinksy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:37 pm Just had a thought.......is that because of the...ehem...foul language?
:rofl
Coeli lux nostra ductrix