Twitter Rumour: Jake Young (Striker) to Sign For Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Twitter Rumour: Jake Young (Striker) to Sign For Pompey

Post by Blue Walter »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:35 pm I think it does fit with the transfer policy. Towler, Lane, Yengi and Devlin signings are completely in the same vein of young talented players who have had some success and even international recognition that have their best years ahead of them

I understand the transfer policy Pompey are conducting, which is possibly much the same as most clubs. Small clubs like Accrington Stanley, for instance, exist by getting players in to sell on as do Crewe. If we can bring in a player that becomes really good in time that is a bonus, either as a player for us or players we will be able to get from the profit of his sale. However, we have an opportunity to get to the Championship in the near future so longer term transfers are not ready made for the here and now. We may well have money in the kitty to bring both types of player in, long term and short term, in this window and I hope this is what we are doing. We need an experienced striker who can add something to our present squad. This player may well be ready but he hasn't played much at higher than League Two level and at twenty two he should really be showing signs that he can do a job for us. Bradford, even at League Two level, don't consider him worth keeping but our people, if this rumour is true, apparently see something in him.

So we will have to wait and see but I have doubts that the story is true because it is so different to other incomings under our present regime. I am sure they know what players they want and who is available and they will also know that we are closer to promotion this season than in previous seasons.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I'd be very surprised if we paid £300k for a striker of that age who's had one good 6 month spell in league 2. I think we'd be looking to sign a more experienced player imho. If we do sign him I think it would be a lower fee than that.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:30 am I'd be very surprised if we paid £300k for a striker of that age who's had one good 6 month spell in league 2. I think we'd be looking to sign a more experienced player imho. If we do sign him I think it would be a lower fee than that.
£300k can be a value of the deal though - say £200k now and £100k later triggered by appearances and the club achieving promotion.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

£300k can be a value of the deal though - say £200k now and £100k later triggered by appearances and the club achieving promotion.
[/quote]

Rich Hughes knows him, if the rumour is correct, Rich will know what he is worth!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

How much did we spend on Paddy Lane?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:34 pm How much did we spend on Paddy Lane?
£250,000 plus add-ons

Turning out to be a bargain :thumb
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:04 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:34 pm How much did we spend on Paddy Lane?
£250,000 plus add-ons

Turning out to be a bargain :thumb
Thought so...

Not bad for a ownership who don't spend money...
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Try this, looks pretty good
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

Well it's either close to the truth, or somebody (his agent?) has helped people put two and two together to come up with five plus.

Looking at the highlights reel, I'd be happy if it's true. One thing is sure, Richard Hughes knows enough about him and Swindon isn't so far away, to have scouted him properly.

He can find the target with both feet, and scored from inside and outside the box, and looks decent in the air too. At 200k with add-ons seems a decent signing.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Bradford have said that they don't wish to cash in on Jake Young.....but of course this could be just negotiating tactics.

The player (and their agent) will also have a view of course. Not unusual if a player gets the opportunity to move up a league for them to want to do so to better their career / earning capacity

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... er-4463863
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

there can only be 2 reasons why you would recall someone from on loan, who is playing regularly and well, you are either going to play him yourself, or you are going to sell him
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

Well, if it's true that he has only six months left on his contract, then you can add another reason. That is get him to sign a new contract. However the grass was most definitely greener at the County Ground and I think that he is up for sale.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Jake Young's contract at Bradford runs until the end of next season: June 2025 basically.

Mousinho was asked about the rumour today and he replied by saying he was happy with the forwards he had in the club (which I am sure is true) but also said that "I think as long as Jake is contracted to another club, we won’t comment on that."

Interesting choice of words about 'as long as Jake is contracted to another club we won't comment on that (rumour)". This may just be the club policy of neither confirming or denying rumours but even the News said Mousinho did not want to 'add oxygen' to the rumour rather than describing it as shutting down the connection.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... rd-4466772
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

PompeyinAnjou wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:13 am Well it's either close to the truth, or somebody (his agent?) has helped people put two and two together to come up with five plus.

Looking at the highlights reel, I'd be happy if it's true. One thing is sure, Richard Hughes knows enough about him and Swindon isn't so far away, to have scouted him properly.

He can find the target with both feet, and scored from inside and outside the box, and looks decent in the air too. At 200k with add-ons seems a decent signing.
Ditto, looking at his highlights he looks to be a decent prospect and one that fits the Hughes MO.

I hope this rumour has substance and would welcome his signing, he would dovetail well with Colby too IMHO.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Interestingly, Young not in the Bradford squad despite being recalled.