Cowley goes to Colchester

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Cowley goes to Colchester

Post by Dinksy »

Danny Cowley has taken on a relegation battle at the bottom of League Two for his next managerial role.
Good luck to him. I think he'll steer them clear of danger and build a decent side.
We can thank him for some top signings including Colby Bishop and Joe Morrell.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Cowley goes to Colchester

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Most of us wish him well
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I liked the guy and wanted him to do well but for whatever reason it didn’t happen. Wish him all the best.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Colchester fans are jumping up and down with this 'big name' signing and treating it as the coming of the messiah. Some are saying how glad they are to see the end of 'tippy tappy' one up front football. Being replaced by the Cowley's direct fast attacking football style. That's not quite how I remember the Cowley regime, although he did talk of that style but, it seemed, we were forever in transition to that. Far from being direct I always thought of it as over complicated football and Cowley's complicated explanations during interviews were rather irritating. I really went off him when he revealed the Cowley 'vision' of bringing in 'assets' and selling for a profit and then starting the process again, describing the club as becoming a conveyer belt of profit making player production.

In fairness to Cowley I don't doubt he was hard working and a nice bloke. No doubt, like any profession, you learn from your mistakes and you take those experiences into your next role. I am sure that Danny Cowley will have had time to reflect on what he done well and what he didn't and he will have benefited from that. As already mentioned he did bring in some good players, although I think he he did rely too heavily on loaning players. Like any manager he also brought in duds as well.

I wish him am Colchester well and hope they escape joining the National League. Apparently the compensation package he received from Pompey was prohibitive of joining another Football League club until the 1st of January this year which meant it would cost any employer of Cowley extra money which, apparently, was the stumbling block at Bradford.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Good luck to the Cowleys, pretty sure they will do a decent job there.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I wonder if Colchester need a left back? It was Cowley that signed Denver Hume wasn't it?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Seems like a pretty good fit to me, especially as he and Nicky are Essex boys anyway. I really hope they do well, as they are both genuinely nice human beings, unlike other managers I don't need to mention!
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

We started last season so well & I was really hopeful it was going to be our year, obv it wasn’t to be under the Cowley’s.

I wish Danny and Nicky all the very best at Colchester United, im sure they will be successful and rise again.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they came back to sign 1 or 2 players e.g. Hume, Vincent and poss Raggett.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Mickemo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:55 pm We started last season so well & I was really hopeful it was going to be our year, obv it wasn’t to be under the Cowley’s.

I wish Danny and Nicky all the very best at Colchester United, im sure they will be successful and rise again.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they came back to sign 1 or 2 players e.g. Hume, Vincent and poss Raggett.
I think last season being top was very different to this season. I think even when we were top last season we were far from convincing while I think there is more credence attached this season. Also I think League One is much weaker this season without the likes of Ipswich, Plymouth and Wednesday.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

I’d agree with that noting that we schooled Plymouth for 65 mins at FP
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Mickemo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:29 am I’d agree with that noting that we schooled Plymouth for 65 mins at FP
We also played Wednesday off the park for a period of the first game of the season. Didn't we go from 2 down to 3-2 up? Problem was we didn't do it for 90 minutes often enough
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:34 am
Mickemo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:29 am I’d agree with that noting that we schooled Plymouth for 65 mins at FP
We also played Wednesday off the park for a period of the first game of the season. Didn't we go from 2 down to 3-2 up? Problem was we didn't do it for 90 minutes often enough
We played some great football early in the season. The Bristol Rovers game had some fantastic play in it. It all fell apart after half time against Plymouth. As Mick says the first half we nullified them and their supporters completely.
Super Matt Macey in goal...